• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha or Polaris

wally20

Looking for a different used wheeler, been looking at some Yamaha Kodiaks and Polaris sportsmans. Will be mainly used for ice fishing and some trails. Had a older Yamaha big bear. The yamahas seem to be priced higher, what do you guys that use them all the time think???? Thanks for your info.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to tell you the truth the polaris 4 wheelers are junk every polaris i have had they all break down all the time and guys i talk to that buy new and used ones say the same if i was you i would go with a yamaha grizzly 660cc

I have a 660 grizzly and like it. I have ridden with people that have just about every brand. Polaris makes a nice machine there kinda heavy but still a nice machine. I would buy whatever machine fits you best. EFI is a nice thing to have, if I bought a new one today it would have it. A 700 grizzly also has power steering which is also nice.

wally20,

I have owned 4 Yamahas over the years and 1 Polaris. Without going into great detail I would by a Yamaha hands down. I still have both of the brands today. Good luck in whatever you choose.

wally20,

I have owned Polaris Sportsmans for years and I haven't had problems with mine. Basic maintenance items yes, but no break downs with them.

What dodge guy stated "polaris 4 wheelers are junk" simply isn't true. He has his opinion and I respect that but I know of ALOT of happy Polaris owners out there that wouldn't own anything but Polaris.

Good Luck finding what you want.

Jason

i have owned Yamahas all my life.i got rid of my 99 kodiak with over 6000 miles on it.still runs like a top.now i have 2005 and a 2006 kodiaks.never have had a problem with any of them.yamaha makes a lighter machine then most.

Originally Posted By: dodge guy
to tell you the truth the polaris 4 wheelers are junk every polaris i have had they all break down all the time and guys i talk to that buy new and used ones say the same if i was you i would go with a yamaha grizzly 660cc

lots of people say the same thing about dodge!!!!! grin.gif

Do some more research. People's opinions of being a one time owner or never an owner of certain brands will get you no where. I would broaden your horizon and check out more than just two brands. Look at them, sit on them, ride if possible. Magazine reviews and youtube work well for getting real world performance info.

My opinion between the two, I couldn't choose. Likely you would be getting a 500 Polaris, so either brand will be a single cylinder. Both will be efi. One great advantage Polaris has is that they have every accessory you could think of.

I still think the best bang for the buck (as long as your not a power junky) is either a Sp500 or a '07 Suzuki Kingquad 700.

I recently purchased my second polaris and my girlfriend also rides a polaris. Neither of us has had any issues with these machines. My family has been riding polaris for years without any substantial problems, amongst the relatives there have been over 20 new polaris's purchased.

Polaris also has the best plow system on the market right now. Nobody else's system hooks or unhooks as fast as the Polaris system.

Don't let the trash talk keep you away from a Polaris. They've come a long way since their first machine.

i would say go with Yamaha with the Locking front diff!! Polaris...AWD doesnt work riding and rode with guys with it and it doesnt work only 3 wheel drive.....yamaha has locking front diff.....

have you thought about a Rhino 450??

Originally Posted By: landscaper
i would say go with Yamaha with the Locking front diff!! Polaris...AWD doesnt work riding and rode with guys with it and it doesnt work only 3 wheel drive.....yamaha has locking front diff.....

have you thought about a Rhino 450??

I completely disagree with your 3-wheel drive Polaris statement. Take away the need for a button or lever to lock in the competition, and Polaris is the only true 4-wheel drive machine on the market. Can-Am has made improvements, but is still nowhere close to the Polaris.

Not that any system is bad. I ride a Honda, which is a true 3-wheel drive machine. But if you know how to use them, they'll do just fine.

The only thing that would sell me a Yamaha over a Polaris right now is the power steering. Otheriwse both have comparable features.

Please clarify the AWD. From what I understand it automatically switches to 4WD when needed(doesn't say that the front wheels actually lock) and then back to 2WD. Can you manually select 4WD and is the front differential able to be manually controlled to lock and unlock?

From what I see you can select 2WD or AWD, but you can't select full-time 4WD or lock the front differential to get TRUE 4WD.

Having the ability to select 2WD, 4WD, or 4WD+diff lock is one of the features what pointed me towards the Yamaha....not that the Polaris was even a consideration anwyay....

When in AWD on a Polaris it locks when needed it feels the slightes slip of the rear axel and instantly locks. When you don't need AWD switch it off and your in 2wd. BTW I did get my 500 Magnum stuck once but it took getting it in over the tires in river mud to stop it. And also when in AWD the Polaris is true 4 wheel drive, makes turning tough but having true 4x4 is worth the trade off.

Polaris is AWD when engaged in 4wd. It is manually selected from 2wd to 4wd. The rear tires slip 1/3 of a rotation and the front wheels kick in when in 4wd. With the newer Sportsmans they have the easiest turning in AWD, besides a power steering Griz. Comparable models,the Polaris has more power(sp500 vs griz 450 and sp800 vs. griz 700) and has probably the best ride on the market. When riding the only disadvantage some of the sportsmans have is the EBS. Without the ADC (active decent control) only the rear wheels have ebs when in 2wd. I have noticed it slightly when riding the Sp500.

I have not ridden a Yamaha Griz 700, but have ridden a KQ 700 which is almost the same as far as power and functions of the 4wd.

why not? you can drive in 4wd just the same as any other machine.

In the past, other brands claimed easier steering in 4wd because they had no locker. They were right, but the newer Polaris has much better steering in 4wd than previous models.

Besides that, you should only be in 4wd when needed, just like a truck.

I plow with my Polaris in AWD and it does fine.

Needs no diff lock. The button puts it right in AWD.

you can leave it in 4 wheel drive if you chose. With the swtich in 4x mode, it will only engage when the rear wheels slip. When they don't slip, it goes back into 2 wheel drive. This way you get the 4 wheel drive when needed, but the steering of 2 wheel drive when you don't.

The older models of Sportsmans required you to back up turning the wheels left and right to disengage the front end. I'm not positive the new ones are like that. But to be honest with you, the only time I noticed this on my old 2000 SP500 is when I was pulling a heavy load in 4x4. Normal use wasn't a problem.

lol, looks like Roofer is beating me to the punch again! \:D

Roofer,

do you remember Dr. Greenbush (or Greenthumb)? I've seen a few comments in the forums that remind me of him.