• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yamaha or Polaris

wally20

So the bottom line is you can't keep it in 4WD if you wanted, or in 4WD with the front differential locked. You guys are tip-toeing around it, but the answer is no.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: LEP7MM
Roofer,

do you remember Dr. Greenbush (or Greenthumb)? I've seen a few comments in the forums that remind me of him.

I don't remember that name at all.

So if the switch is in the AWD position the front wheels are engaged and will begin turning under power as you ease on the throttle as to not cause the back wheels any loss of traction?

Simple yes or no will suffice. \:\)

No thanks.

I know what the answer is but didn't want the readers that don't know to be confused by the tulip field. \:\)

It is NOT a true-4WD ATV and is even more of a falsehood to say it's the only true-4WD ATV on the market...far from it. It has on-demand 4WD/AWD. That is completely different.

I own a 2004 Polaris Magnum with AWD, I was skeptical of the Awd at first, but now having used the system, it is unbelievable. I like the fact that when 4x4 is not needed you dont have the heavy steering other quads have. Also, it is a true 4x4 when it calls for AWD. I've been on glare ice with no chains and the wheeler simply corrects itself straight with no problems getting going. I'm very impressed with Polaris' AWD.

True AWD is the proper description and how Polaris describes it also, but the front wheels are not under power during normal driving with no rear-wheel slippage present. That's not true 4WD.

Not correct. I already stated.....when in 4wd on a Polaris the rear wheels turn 1/3 of a revolution and then the front kicks in. It has nothing to do with it slipping. When it is in 4wd after intitial takeoff you are in lock AWD. The system has no idea if it is slipping or not. It just takes that 1/3 turn to kick in the front.

You have to be joking with us asking the same question over and over if you already "know" the answer, but it seems you don't know the facts.

Originally Posted By: LMITOUT
No thanks.

I know what the answer is but didn't want the readers that don't know to be confused by the tulip field. \:\)

Not sure of the point behind this comment.

You're correct when your refer to "On-Demand" 4-wheel drive. That is the proper name for the Polaris system.

In my explanation of the system, I thought I clearly stated that you can have it switched over to 4x4 and the system will go into 4-wheel on it's own once the rear wheels spin. I think roofer said 30%, I was thinking 20% was the magical number. Either way, once the system kicks in, we also stated that all 4 wheels are under power, not 3 like one poster claimed, hence our claim that it's a true 4x4 system when activated. Maybe you didn't read into it this way.

After reading your last couple posts, it appears you already know how the system works and I have to question your intent in your posts. If you have the "right" answer, then by all means speak up. Maybe it's just a question of terminology, in which this case, those involved in this thread will be more than happy for someone such as yourself to be an informative member.

Originally Posted By: Roofer
The rear tires slip 1/3 of a rotation and the front wheels kick in when in 4wd.

It has nothing to do with it slipping. When it is in 4wd after intitial takeoff you are in lock AWD. The system has no idea if it is slipping or not.

See what I mean?

Not correct. I already stated.....when in 4wd on a Polaris the rear wheels turn 1/3 of a revolution and then the front kicks in. It has nothing to do with it slipping.

ok, I understand the system needing to sense wheel spin before the front locks in. It can be deceiving that it's not noticable when it does engage the front.

ok guys, let's settle this once for all. I broke out my color crayons and here's what the Polaris HSOforum says:

The Polaris exclusive AWD automatically engages all wheels when you need more forward traction and reverts back to 2wd when you don't.

OK, here's my unprofessional interpretation of what this says:

the system DOES need to sense wheel spin in order to engage the front wheels and once traction to the rear is sufficient, it disengages the front until 4wd is needed again, or more wheel spin if you will.

can we just jump in the mud puddle and play nice now?

Thanks guys!!!! grin.gifgrin.gif

hmmm, I guess I better proofread every post. Normally when you are in 4wd you are slipping, right? That's why you are in 4wd.

I just went out and tested our '07 Sp500 in 4wd. Initial takeoff the rears spin 1/3-1/4 whatever revolution and the fronts kick in. After that it is true locked AWD. With the ice outside right now it was an easy test. Don't make me break out the video camera to prove a simple system that Polaris has had for many years.

Break it out so that those that keep trying to argue wording can get on with their day and this post can get back to what the original poster was asking which was preference between a Kodiak and a Sportsman.

There are always the few Polaris Anti's that spew the same B.S. over and over on this site. I wish there was a block certain posters button so I didn't have to see the same B.S. on my screen every week.

Bottom line is test ride the various machines and buy what YOU like.

My original question came because of when one person mentioned that he didn't like the AWD system, there was quite a bit of false information that followed after he was raked over the coals. Yes, lets get back to the original question and answer those questions truthfully...and, buyer beware. \:\)

The poster didn't just say he didn't like the 4wd system, he said that only 3 wheels spin, and that cannot happen unless something is broken on a Polaris.

There are other reasons to buy one machine or another, but you can't say that you would rather stop and put a yamaha in full lock 4wd than just having a Polaris in by sliding a button. For 4wd operation there is no easier to use system than Polaris.

For true AWD at any speed the only other competition is the Kawi system. Has 4wd in forward or reverse. The polaris only has 4wd in reverse with the override button pushed. The rest of the AWD locking machines are rev limited to @ 20 mph in forward gears.

As to which machine is better overall between a Sportsman and a Griz....That is your choice........Both are very good, but different.

It was a vague question, so it's hard to answer. I too grow tired of the bashing whether it is direct or indirect.

My intent wasn't to discredit, or bash as you call it, any brand. It was stated that Polaris had the only true-4WD system available which is incorrect and I'm sure the original poster, or anyone else, would like to be aware of that if he/she isn't already. That was the information I was referring to.

You don't have to stop with a Yamaha to put it in 4WD or lock the diff. The manual says you should to prevent loss of control of the vehicle (lol), but it will go into 4WD or lock while underway. It doesn't get much simpler than pushing the big red button to do it.

Originally Posted By: LEP7MM
Take away the need for a button or lever to lock in the competition, and Polaris is the only true 4-wheel drive machine on the market.

I believe this is what was said and it is correct.

The yamaha or Suzuki diff lock requires a free hand to engage.