• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

In Your Memory- Latest Minnesota Ice Out?

zamboni

Here in the SW the snow cover early was thin and SOOOO many consecutive days below freezing were incredible for ice building, I don't think since early December we have had 5 - 8 days where we have hit over 32 degrees. Just remember, there is a lot of ice right now, but it can go away in places real fast too. I think the flat area we live in with very little cover and then add the strong winds here, all played a big factor in keeping this one of the coldest winters in a long time.

Several years ago we were crappie fishing on April 1st and were drilling ice on LOW right down to the end of a 18 inch extension . 4 weeks later we were crappie fishing from the boat. Ice out depends more on the average temp than ice thickness.

The latest ice out I remember was around 2000 when were looking at ice on Vermillion two days before the opener. It did go out the next day.

To me, its really surprising how fast this year/winter has gone by. We only have 14 days left in the 3rd. Quarter of our school. Thats crazy talk. I'm gonna try to get out as much as I can and hope for a fast ice off after conditions go south so I can do more fishing. LOL