• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Learning to use a baitcaster

Craig Plummer

Should this be my goal this summer? I've always used spinning reels and like them alot. I tried a baitcaster a couple years back and the line turned to a birds nest almost every other cast and I hated it. Any benefits to using a baitcaster? Any tips you can give someone that has never used one?

That is a decision you need to make for your self.

The advantages of a baitcaster are quite a bit.

1. Line management...

a.Heavier lines

b.less in no line twist

2.Rods to match heavier application(many spinning rods dont have the backbone to pitch/heavy vegitation)

3.line pick up.. Line per handle turn recovered is higher on baitcasters.

4.casting accuracy...with practice, a baitcaster will be more accurate... no ands ifs or butts!

The decision is yours.. I know quite a few bass anglers who do more than well just fishing spinning gear. I myself see the baitcaster as a tool much like anything else.. and a very valuable one.. I will use a baitcaster in all situations that I can.. The only time I use spinning is when I feel I need it. Light lines/finess(IE droshot, Shakey worm) and dock applications.. for skipping and such.

As for tips.. most decent baitcaster(over $100) have pretty decent cast control tools to help you.. I am quite familiar with the Shimano line of reels.. They use a centrifugal force system.. you can add more of the "weights" as you start, then as you get better, you remove those...

I've used some casting reels for the last few years, and I would say to definately try it out. Once you have the tensions knobs set correctly it is really pretty easy with a bit of practice. In certain situations I really prefer to have a casting set up. It is easier to use heavier lines, I like pitching with a casting setup better, and its a different hook set with your palm up instead of down which can be nicer in heavier cover. I have just a few setups but I personally usually use casting setups in heavy cover, and usually spinning with lighter lures and line.

I thinking about getting a low profile baitcaster matched with a 6'8'' MH rod, should work well for begginers. But I would hate to buy it and get frustrated with the line tangles like I did last time. How heavy of line do you guys go with 12lb?

CP- 12lb test I would say is norm...and a 6'8" MH rod is also norm. I'm not going to tell you that you will fall to it like a duck to water, it takes time, it takes practice!.. I suggest you buy it early in the season.. buy a decent reel(Shimano Citica or Cruxis at least) buy some cheap line, and practice from the time it gets warm till season opens.. I would be willing to bet by bass opener if you put some time in the back yard in you will be doing fine in no time... Try not to cast too light a lure, and do your very best not to cast into the wind until you have more confidence!

Deitz is right buy a decent reel to start. $100 is a good place to start if you can swing that. If you go too cheap it will be more difficult to learn.

Years ago when I started baitcasting I practiced in the backyard and to this day I still do it. Who cares how crazy the neighbors think I am!

3/8 walleye/lindy style sinker in a tube bait makes a good practice lure. Before you cast you will want to set the cast controls properly. If it has a magnetic control Id set it between 8-10. If it has the pins, Id put 4 out possibly all 6. The round control knob on the handle side you should tighten down then reel your lure to the rod tip and hit the bail. The lure shouldnt fall yet. Slowly loosen that same knob until your lure slowly falls to the ground. I like to loosen just slightly more after that but you will find your own personal preferance.

When you do start casting dont worry about accuracy or distance just train that thumb. Cast the lure out 10-20' trying to keep the reel from backlashing. Once you can do that consistantly then try to go a little further maybe aim at a target.

Hope that helped more than confused. Good luck.

I would also suggest, before you start actual casting, side-arm or over-arm or whatever, for your first few practice sessions to practice pitching first. I think this will help you get a good feel for the reel.. and should help prevent severe backlashing when you first start casting.

I also recommed a 100ish dollar reel, and use cheap limp line in the 14-15 pound range.. like trilene XL.

I started off with a Citica and a 6'-6" MH Diawa Heartland-X rod way back. I was just a youngster so getting backlashes was quite frustrating. So I practiced and practiced some more.

What I did was grab a crappy old pan that my mom never used anymore and I went out to the back yard. As someone else said, pitching is the way to go to learn. I set up just about 10 yards away or so standing on a bench. I would pitch the jig (I used a big heavy skirted bass jig) and had it pretty light on the spool tension adjustment knob. I would swing it out fast as to pitch past the pan, but then slow it down with my thumb as it went out. After just a few swings, I was in the pan every time.

Doing it like this will help you get good quick, because it brings many elements of an actual cast into play. First off, you are training your thumb to slow the spool down before it hits the pan, or water. This is the biggest part of using a casting rod and reel. Along with that, you are also practicing for your casting accuracy. After you get that 10 yard pitch down, now move it 15 yards out and try a side arm cast, and then 20 yards out and give it an overhand cast. Just keep going til you get it down.

TUTF made a very good point in using the control knob. This is one thing most casting newbies don't realize, cause who reads the freakin instructions on a fishing reel? When you first get the reel and put a lure on, turn that knob until your lure just barely falls to the ground when you trip the switch. For the pitching exercise, set it up so it falls pretty free at first just so you train your thumb. As you start to do a side arm and overhand, adjust it to be just falling. You put a lot more force on the lure when you cast vs. pitching where it is just kinda a swinging motion.

Hope this helps. By no time, you will be able to cast pretty good. My buddy got his first baitcaster last year, and after me showing him how to use it, he plans to buy two or three more this year. He got pretty good quick.

The best practice is with a huge spinner bait into a 20mph head wind. \:D:D. Just kidding. Some great advice above. I was in your shoes a few years back. No question, casting gear is the way to go. In no time you will wonder why you didn't add it to your arsenal sooner. Good luck on your new quest.

The key is a quality reel, as others have mentioned. I'd spend 100 bucks or so.

Also, you may want to give power pro line a try. I know it is expensive, but it is round and casts pretty easy. The bonus that will pay for itself is the fact that it has no memory. So "when" (not "if" because you're going to get them) you get a backlash, it will allow you start fishing again with the same line. What I mean is, mono will "kink" from where the backlash occurred and it will disrupt your casting unless you replace the line. The kink will cause more and more backlashes and will progressively get worse. Once you get good at a baitcaster, then make the switch to mono if you like.

I just learned on a baitcaster a few years ago and found 2 real handy tips from experience... 1. when you set the drag, the lure should drop pretty slowly and you know you have it when the lure hits the ground and the spool quits rolling. 2. when youre first starting out, only put maybe 20-30 yards of line on your reel, enough for a good practice casting distance, and when you get a backlash you can pull all the line from the spool and start over so youre not spending what seems like hours picking line trying to untangle the rats nest. Of course once you start getting the hang of it you add more line, but it saves time getting back to practice (and I liked to just tie a sinker on the end of the line roughly the weight of your fave bait so you'll be able to tie it on when weather permits and get on some fish!)

While your onto something with only putting 20-30 yards on the reel to minimize backlash I think for a beginner its better to have a full spool then pull off 20 yards or so and tape down the rest of the spool. You still get the feel of a full spool but the tape keeps those big birds nests from happening. I picked this tip up here on FM and used it when I started learning to skip with a baitcaster and it helped alot.

I say bite the bullet and put up with the aggravation of learning to use one - you won't regret it.

Aside from slightly heavier line it also helps to use something with some weight to it for learning. The plastic practice plugs weren't heavy enough for me so cut the hooks off an old crankbait or a 3/8 or 1/2 oz jig and use that. Plain old sinker works too but having some bulk besides weight is more realistic.

Neighbors laughed at me while I was learning many years ago - would drive by as I practiced on the front lawn and ask if they were biting....real crack-up's....

Good luck!

C Plummer,

With the tips and the equipment mentioned above it'll take you all of one afternoon on a local neighborhood field to get the hang of it. Really, today's gear is very forgiving and angler friendly.

You'll be glad you did! Your fishing arsenal will gorw in size big time!

Chris

i can tell you this, and im sure there is alot of guys that would agree with me, as soon as you get a hang of it and use them more and more, you wont use a open face near as you did before. Just dont happen becuase a bait caster is so much better for bass fishing then a open face, unless you doing to stuff that you need the open face.

I got my first baitcaster for Christmas this year (A Cabelas Prodigy). I was very nervous about trying it because of the backlash issues. There is a lot of useful tips on the internet. Try a search for "How to prevent baitcaster backlash" or search YouTube. I did a bunch of reading first and when I finally tried casting in the driveway it went way better than I expected. I've been able to back way off on the magnets and still haven't had a nightmare backlash yet. I feel like a whole new world of fishing is opening up this year for me. I can hardly wait to get out on the water. Good luck!

And when you master casting with one then we can get into flippin and pitchin - same deal in the driveway except this time you have targets...cats, small neighborhood kids (only in season), birds, leaves, etc.

I've used baitcasters for 20+ yrs now and I am working on becoming skilled in skipping and pitch-skipping under docks with them. It is not going well...LOL