• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coffee making at camp

Scoot

Hi All,

I'm not a coffee drinker. However, a buddy of mine is and I owe him something nice (he just helped me frame in my basement). I'd like to get him something to make coffee with while we're camping in the middle of nowhere. What should I get? No instant coffee- I'd like something that'll let him make a good cup of coffee. Any suggestions appreciated.

To me there is nothing better than a cup of coffee out of the old percolator. You can find some pretty nice stainless percolators out there. If he just enjoys a cup here or there, it's hard to beat a coffee press. Pretty quick and darn tasty. You only do a cup at a time with the press, while you can keep most of the camp happy with the percolator.

I second the Perculator. Even at the cabin where we have electricity I'll still make coffee over an open fire with the Perc.

I would strongly sujest a top quality one, maybe from REI or similar. I've had cheap ones and they don't last very long.

I'll differ and go back to Flatlanders comment about getting a french press. My friend has a 22oz press that we take everywhere, including the BWCA. 22oz is an okay size and will do 2 cups. This year my wife bought me the 33oz size for Christmas.

Its Lexan ans I believe its made by GSI. Perks are nice, but with the press you only boil the water and there's no risk of losing the top. It doesn't need a burner, especially if you're already boiling water for other things.

I vote press! I even use mine at home from time to time. It makes a stronger, better-tasting cup of coffee than the regular coffee maker. But, like the other two said, you can only make 1 or 2 large, or 3 regular sized cups of coffee at a time. Anyone seriously in the coffee business will tell you to use a press for a full-flavored cup of joe.

Some people like what they're used to, however, and you've got to respect that. That tradition of "camp coffee" is usually the old perculator on the fire. I have one of those, too, but it is at the bottom of the list for flavor IMO.

Hey Andy

Hows it going ? \:\)

Also - I just got one of those presses, but haven't used it yet.

I've used them around the house before, but never camping. I bought it because I thought it would be quicker than the Perc ?

Thanks fellas. Where can I get one of those 33 oz. presses? What's its exact name? What accessories do I need with it? How much does it cost?

Sorry- I'm a coffee one-who-thinks-I-am-silly!

Not being a coffee drinker, I will say this, we used to have the old egg coffee at the campfire, WOW, is that amazing. I don't think I have the skills to do it, but WOW it really did taste great.

I got my GSI press at REI, but I couldn't find it on their site anymore. I'm sure they still have it. Scoot I know you're in NoDak so websites are helpful.

Check out Campmor HSOforum for the GSI press. I saw the 33oz and a 50oz press there and the price is incredibly reasonable.

All you need to buy is the press. I'm not sure if its included, but my buddy has a neoprene insulating jacket for his.

You add coffee and hot water and you're done. If you'd like to add a little something, maybe find one of those coffee of the month clubs or something and throw that in too. I think that could be a neat touch.

Muc, Egg coffee is the way to go. Here is how you do it.

break one egg into a cup add 6 to 8 scoops of coffee grounds. Mix the egg and coffee well. Add about 1/4 cup of water to the egg and coffee and set aside. I have an old metal coffee pot that holds 12 cups. I just nearly fill the pot and bring to a boil. Add the coffee mixture to the boiling water and stir. When it reaches the desired color take it off the heat and leave it sit 5 minute. The grounds will sink. You can reheat this brew several times and it will only get better. Hands down the best coffee in camp.

Dusty, thanks a ton for the instructions. I am going to try it, it really was some really good tasting stuff, I will try the reheat as well... kinda like chili. Better the next day.

If you usually have a Coleman stove along, Coleman makes a drip pot that looks and functions like a Mr. Coffee. I have one and I am very glad I don't have to drink boiled perked coffee anymore. For remote open fire coffee I vote for a french press. Campmor has several sizes of stainless presses.

Scoot, along the lines of the french press is the JetBoil. I'm going to make the assumption that this may be a guy who elk hunts with you.......if it is, I have a JetBoil and it boils water in less than 2 minutes at 10000'+. I use it daily when I am elk hunting to have hot coffee (it comes with a french press accesorrie) and soup. Nothing like something warm to get you back into the hunt.

While ice fishing in the hard house, we have had coffee boil over so many times its not even funny, and it makes a real mess. We now just make the cowboy coffee. Boil up a pot of water, (12 cups) add about 4 scoups of coffee, stir up, let set for a couple minutes, and pour through a strainer into your cup. works good and tasts great.

Now i'm really at a loss as to what a coffee press is and how it works. Might have to try it. Could someone explain it to me?

Thanks.

82075.jpg Here's a picture of a coffee press. Put the grounds in, pour in hot water, let "brew" for 4-5 minutes, press the plunger down, and that'll hold the coffee grounds on the bottom.

Interesting post, I have been looking for a coffee press for camping for the last couple years. My way for making camp coffee may sound a little off but it does work.

I use an old, clean sock. take your coffee grounds, put them in the sock, tie the sock in a knot and put it in your pot or container of water. Bring it to a boil, boil for 10 minutes, remove sock, and you have a pot of coffee. I have two pots I use, one hods 24 cups and the other is about 36 or 40. You have to get used to the idea of a sock being in the coffee pot, but when you have 8 guys sitting around waiting for coffee, the sock method works really well..........clean up is pretty easy too

My wife and I love the coffee press. I was reading the post about egg coffee. Could I just add an egg to my grounds in the coffee press and get the same result?

Here is what I do now: coffee grounds in press, boil water, add boiled water to press, let sit for 3-4 minutes, push down press and drink.