• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's your favorite strike indicator?

saskcarp

I dont like using tip ups as I find them too fiddly and just a regular old pain in the U know what. I was thinking of jigging one rod and putting a second rod on a holder. The only thing with this though is that there is no indicator for when you are say 20 feet away and you cant see a bobber etc...
Does anyone here have any suggestions on how I can fit a flag or an audible indicator to my rod to notify me of bites?

I use a bait casting reel on my second rod.
I pile slush ice or wet snow in a small mound on the up-wind side of the hole and pack it around the handle of the rod which should be at about 45 degrees, set the spool tension just heavy enough so the bait can't pull line out easily, push the free spool button and tie a 6" piece of orange surveyor's tape with a single granny knot just below the rod tip after you have set your depth and you are in business.
Works great for pike, walleyes, and lake trout.
I have also made rod holders from a piece of 2" X 8" X 18" long with a 45 degree hole drilled in one end to hold your rod.
Both work fine.
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

My brother-in-law showed me a trick last winter for northern rods when you don't use a tip-up and the weather isn't too cold. He put on an icebuster bobber with the bobber stop about a foot high. He stuck the rod in the snow with the tip high and the bail open. Then he pushed the icebuster upside down in the slush beside the hole, where he could see it from a distance. When the fish hit, it pulled the bobber out and down the hole. He walked over, closed the bail, and set the hook.

If I decide to keep a line in while I sleep, I set an empty soda can with the tab bent up on the edge of a pail. I set my line on the top/tab of the can. Fish bites, can falls, catch fish! It works as a good alarm clock also. It lets you know exactly when the fish start biteing in the morning! I sort of got post traumatic distress syndrome from this though, I hear someone drop a can and scramble to find my fishing pole! grin.gif

------------------
http://groups.msn.com/canitbeluck

The unit in Cabelas is not the Rock n Reel. I think that is the Mr. Jigger. Night and day difference.

With the Rock n Reel, I will sometimes put one of those string style bobber stops on my line so it is just about at the water level or slightly under.

If a fish grabs the bait and swims off to the side, you can see the line move a hair before the rod tip dips.

Clip on bells work ok for me, but my favorite? A real hard tug and the pole stays bent thats the best indicator of a strike.

------------------
Get in! Zip up! Sit down! Shut Up! FISH ON!!

I got a Rock N' Reel for my son for Christmas last season. He loves it. It is very sturdy and it has flexibility of use. He pulled a mess of nice pike on it and some very nice perch last winter. He even went after catfish this spring with it from shore. He said it was a hoot too.

If you have a son or daughter that gets distracted easily this is the real deal. They can wonder without worry of loss of the equipment. It has been a big hit with my son so far.

------------------
BACKWATER GUIDING
701-281-2300
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

What I had done in the past is carry a small amount of bright red or orange yarn with me. I tie a peice at the rod tip and then angle it it upwards. if a fish bites the yarn dissappears thus letting you know.

o