• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where Eagles dare

I took another long trip this past weekend and ended up about six hours south in southern Iowa chasing Eagles with a few friends. Here are a few images I've processed.

93090678.jpg

Getting a bit too close (wing tips)

93086714.jpg

Gimme that fish!

93080992.jpg

Back for more fish.

93108614.jpg

A few were in the trees and sky.

93084308.jpg

Flyby with fish in talons.

93083474.jpg

Plenty of juvies around.

93077398.jpg

Great shots! I like that you added the shot with all of the birds in the trees. It really puts it into perspective how many birds we have in the midwest. Their comeback has been remarkable. I remember 15 years ago when it was exciting to see an eagle, now they are everywhere.

Thanks guys. Quite honestly and I mean this, I was disapointed with what I came away with this trip. I had a goal on a certain type of image and it never materialized and I settled for more of the common flight shots.

Some of these were taken in Burlington and some up north of that area. I should have taken about five shots of those Eagles in the trees and stitched them together in CS3... you would have REALLY been amazed! Thanks again for the nice words.

I understand, Buzz. The subjects usually don't cooperate, and it's even more disappointing when you make a special trip hoping for a certain situation that never develops.

But you are a dedicated photographer, and sooner or later it'll happen just like a storybook in front of you and you'll be ready to capture it! grin.gifgrin.gif

When you gonna quit your day job and take up photography full time?

Originally Posted By: stfcatfish
I understand, Buzz. The subjects usually don't cooperate, and it's even more disappointing when you make a special trip hoping for a certain situation that never develops.

But you are a dedicated photographer, and sooner or later it'll happen just like a storybook in front of you and you'll be ready to capture it! grin.gifgrin.gif

When you gonna quit your day job and take up photography full time?

I know you know how frustrating it can be some days as well, this Eagle image I want is eye level on the water with the Eagle snagging a fish or atleast hitting the water... of course at the right angle in good light. I keep trying, and I keep losing!

As far as quitting the day job... not likely too soon as it pays the bills consistantly. I'd need to start sending in some more images and see where it all goes... I have alot of images and am currently working on updating my pbase site to my own dedicated site and that should help a bit, I hope.

I would much rather be getting paid to work outdoors in the field with nature, it is SO much more satisfying than sitting in a desk selling commodity poultry items. I'm off my sad soap box now. cry.gif

I think someday it will happen, but probably/possibly after the kids get through school (they are 3 and 5)

No competition here, Jim, and I hope Buzz does enter the world full time. He has the talent and the dedication.

So little of my photo income comes from publication, which is the most competitive subset of the most competitive type of photography (nature), that I just wish other photographers well and hope for the best for them as they seek publication clients.

My bread is buttered in other places, though some of that is underpinned by nature photography. If you started coming up to Ely and offering guided photo excursions then, well, I might start feeling a little competitive. grin.gifgrin.gif

Buzz's work over the last year is at least as good as what I've seen in many glossy mags dedicated to birds and birding, and better than quite a few regularly published avian photographers.

Sorry, Buzz, don't mean to make it sound like I'm talking about you when your back is turned. grin.gifgrin.gif

Thanks Jim.

I agree with Steve... no competition... I just see what others do and figure out what I could do to make it different (if possible) and if I like it then I'm happy. I spent this past Saturday with an author, naturalist, columnist, wildlife photographer and radio personality (all the same guy) and what I gathered is that the money is NOT made on trying to sell the actual images... its on other things. I also realized that we have the same passion for the outdoors and that keeps it fun. I know Steve also loves and is so at home in the outdoors as well. I envy in a big way where he lives as the wilderness is about three blocks around the corner.

Oh yeah, Steve are you free on Saturday?

I may just have to post an Evening BG or Boreal Chickadee if I get lucky enough to see it. I know where to go based on the MOU list serv... but getting that clean image will be the challenge... yee haw!

Maybe my luck will be restored this weekend.

I think the insane amount of Eagles in the tree's says it all. I have seen a collection of birds in one spot before and I was awestruck. Of course since I was in the water on a Jet Boat touring the bay in Ketchikan AK, I could not get any decent images. There is a Fish proccessing plant on the main road in town on the water. THere are usually hundreds of Eagles just hanging around all day eating fish scraps. THen if you go about 6 miles the other direction, at the second fish proccessing plant, you will find the Alaskan Brown Bears hanging out like it was the local pub. I can't wait to go back.

Paul, I honestly don't think Homer or anywhere in Alaska has anything on Burlington, Iowa as far as sheer numbers in one area... of course I have not yet visited Jean Keenes place on Homer Spit, but would like to to sometime. I heard she had a small fire a week or so ago... hope that doesn't effect her to badly. Another good option would be the Katmai Brown Bears.... oh if only we could travel for free.

Honestly, I never get tired of looking at photos of bald eagles. I'd like to share a link to a gallery from a photographer from Bloomington. She made a trip to the Chilkat River in Alaska, back in November. I've read that at times there can be as many as 3000 eagles there at one time. That would be an amazing place to visit. http://www.pbase.com/gymell/alaska_2007 I did the Katmai bear trip, many years ago. I just wish there was such a thing as digital photography at that time. I got some nice shots of the bears catching salmon, but many of the prints came out very contrasty, due to the sun on the rapids and the low quality processing with cheap photo paper.