• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BuzzSticks, Just another gimmick or.......

LuckyFish

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After handling the things every day, and talking about them at least 10 times daily, I've reached a few conclusions:

They are more durable than they would initially seem. We spooled them with fire line (for test purposes) and abused them pretty good. They held up nicely.

The action they impart cannot be replicated by hand, at least not for any length of time. On negative to neutral fish, I bet that buzz is highly effective. We will see in about a month.

The button/switch needs work. It is to hard for children to press (take a kid fishing) and if you are arthritic and your hands are cold, forget it. Even a healthy hand will have trouble pressing the switch for any length of time.

The reel is outstanding. The combo looks good together. (yes, I'm superficial. Hey, I'm a retailer)

Gadgets with batteries and little motors always get at least one go-around in my world. I can't help it, I'm a kid at heart. I'll bet 75 percent of you are also.......

I'm impressed that they put a decent reel on them but not to impressed with it over all, I think they might have their place in certain situations, like shallow suspending crappies, but if you're jigging on LOW in 25-30' of water I would assume the water would absorb the virbration before it got down that far. I think you'd need a very light diameter line, I like to use a 1lb diameter, 8lb test braid called power pro.Ultra sensitive with no memory and no stretch, I just adjust my drag for the no stretch. I don't think we'll see them around too many years. A guy should use a Aqua View on 30' depth just to see what happens. Later Boar

Try my coffee some time. You won't need batteries to get that action on your ice rod. BUZZZZZZ!

wink.gif

They may have a place on the ice, I understand the principle and it is sound theory.

Frabill also has a new rod that works on the same principle. amplifierrod.jpg
It is called the Amplifier. No batteries or buttons to push though, just a configuration of wafers in the handle that amplify vibration. vttillustration.jpg

Another very interesting concept. I plan on giving them a test this winter and see what they do.

------------------
Ed Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
701-281-2300
><,sUMo,>

I checked 'em out in a store the other day. Pretty cool idea I think. I guess we'll soon find out how they hold up. But you can't argue the fact that they'll make a jig dance the mean boogie.......and if that's what the fish want, then it'll be great.......T

LuckyFish I do not know how much they sell for right off hand. Do a GOOGLE search for Frabill Amplifier Ice Rods once and see what you find?

Some of the usual suspects that carry Frabill gear will likely have them in stock soon.

Last winter I tested the Frabill SenSive System Rod & Reel Combos. I was very pleased with them. Sensitive and durable with a very good reels for light superbraids. I ran 8/1 PowerPro on most of them and found the eyelets seldom froze up even while fishing in the open. I found Frabill choice in guides to be excellent and the rod blanks performed extremely well for what species they were rated for. I liked the attention paid to the finer details like the quality hook-hold and the molded handle.

sensiverodcombo.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is what the New Nature Vision Buzz Stix Combo looks like for those who were interested in seeing it.
buzzstik_hand.gif
The BUZZ STIX in action.
animabuzz2.gif

One concern I have with the new Buzz Stix is the batteries. They appear to be a special battery and I wonder if availability may be a concern? Although they are not that expensive, a 4-pack for about $5 the idea they are unique may make them less accessible. I am curious to what exactly the battery does consist of and if it is a exclusive configuration to the Buzz Stix? Has anyone seen them yet?

------------------
Ed Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
701-281-2300
><,sUMo,>

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 11-03-2003).]

Well, I am looking out my window at some pretty hard snowfall, so I guess it is time for my first ice forum post grin.gif.
I have spent years working on the "buzz" jigging presentation after I learned it from Genz and the big key to it working is being able to actually feel the jig shaking. Often when the fish bites all you have to indicate it is the sudden loss of feel of that sensation. If you can feel the jig while the buzz stick is going, then I think it will work great, but if not, then even though the action will trigger bites, you will be missing lots of them unless you fork out the $$$ for a aqua view too! haha

------------------
simul iustus et peccator

><}}}("< ---><!>

Those go for around $40 for the combo and I think $30 without the reel. The price is pretty decent with the quality reel they have on this combo.

I'm normally a sucker for gimmicks, but I passed on that one for now.. I just don't like the feel of a set-up that bulky and heavy, but it may just work... I'm anxious to hear about them once people get the chance to try them out.

The Buzz Stick batteries come in a package of four, which should last a avid fisherman all season. We sell them where I work, so I have one Buzz Stick and pack of batteries ready to go. We have a demo unit set up with a jig on it in the store that is used alot throughout the day. The original battery is still going strong after 5 weeks. The action on a jig is truely remarkable.

Some great info here thanks for input. Ed I like those pictures you always add to your posts. I still think these things are just a gimmick, but I also know that curiosity will get the best of me and I'll break down and get one. Mainly because I know my buddy will probably break one out on our first trip out on the ice. If he would out fish me with it it would tick me off so bad I'd have to go get one anyway.
Lucky

To answer the battery question (Sorry work was crazy last week) the actual number is an AG13 it is a standard Button Cell battery. If you are familiar with Different Sound Amplifier products they are the same batteries.

The Frabill rod seems like a good idea, except it is an aluminum handle..........doesn't metal hold in cold??

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z