• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BuzzSticks, Just another gimmick or.......

LuckyFish

JPZ the aluminum shaft is meant to have a reel taped to it so the Tommy Tape would cover a large area of the handle.

Your hand shouldn't stick to it any more then your hand sticks to an aluminum can of Budweiser. wink.gif

Seriously..that is a great point though. I will see what that special aluminum alloy tubular handle consists of and get back to you. I suspect as an alloy it would resist sticking and more then likely it would reflect heat? Again, that is a very good point.

I would hate to see all you guys & galls out there on the ice with your tongues stuck to your rod.

grin.gif

Ed Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
701-281-2300
><,sUMo,>

[This message has been edited by Backwater Eddy (edited 11-05-2003).]

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told at my local sporting goods store that the batteries for the buzz sticks are supposed to last 10 hours of continuous opperation. And they were selling the batteries for $5 for a 4 pack.

Well the good news about the LR-44 G13 - AG13 - 157 Type Battery Cells are a common replacement cell for lazier pointers and high output LED flashlights.
bat-ag13.jpg
Just like the new LED lights commonly used to charge glow jigs.
lit_line.jpg
They are also a replacement cell for some brands of lighted floats. So they can be handy for several applications on the ice. After doing some comparison shopping on the net, I found you can find the cells ranging in price from $1.20 to $1.30 each. As with anything, the more cells you buy the cheaper they get, but the bottom is about $1.25.

------------------
Ed Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
701-281-2300
><,sUMo,>

I just went and took a peek at these BuzzSticks. I guess they are selling almost as fast as they are being stocked. Looks like a gimmick to me but thats just my opinion. What exactly is the purpose of this rod? Is is supposed to rapidly jig your bait or is it to produce a vibration from your lure?

JPZ I did speak with the folks at Frabill today on the handle issue.

They stated much as I had suspected that the alloy is not a big problem in the cold. Plus since it is a Tennessee style handle much would be covered by Tommy Tape.

The Amplifier rods were extensively tested last season in Canada and here in the USA with no negative feedback on the alloy being difficult in the sub-zero weather.

I will likely be testing them myself soon, so I can offer my personal feedback then.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Ed Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
701-281-2300
><,sUMo,>

Thanks Ed,

I saw them in Vegas at the show and was just curious. Cause I've always found that Metal "conducts" the cold so to speak. Thanks for the info.

------------------
Tight Lines,

JP Z

The Frabill Amplifier rods are $40.00 at Gaylan's.
The buzz "whatever" is a gimmick but it might just work for a litle jig dancin'.
Also of note are the new St. Croix Premier rods. Same as the Avid but with traditional cork handle and cheaper, $20.00.

Was that for the Frabill Amplifier Rod & Reel combo, or just the rod?

I seen last night that $39. was the price for the Buzz Stix Combo's at Fleet Farm.

------------------
Ed Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
701-281-2300
><,sUMo,>

Backwater Eddy, I think $40 is the price of the Amplifier Rod not the rod & reel. In fact, I have been looking for an Amplifier combo and havent found one yet. O well, I guess I'll have to settle for the rod and buy the reel.

------------------
Fish ON!

You should be able to get the same reel on the Amplifier as is on the SenSive rod combo's? I'll do some checking on that for you.

I got 4 Frabill SenSive combo's last winter and really liked the reels and the rods. They spool up mico-light superbraids just as well as ice mono's.

I run 8/1 PowerPro on most of them, works very well, especially great on rivers. If you go up a notch the 15/4 is strong enough to pull stumps. The 8/1 is some pretty frog hair fine stuff Eh. In low-vis green it can be a bugger to see at night. But that is a good thing I guess if your targeting fussy panfish? The Hi-Vis yellow is nice for line watching, easy to see at night and in the day. Pike will sheer any braid off but I have never yet had a walleye or ice cut it.

------------------
Ed Carlson

Backwater Guiding
"ED on the RED"
[email protected]
701-281-2300
><,sUMo,>

I checked with Frabill and just got the word back on the combo's.

Unless a retailer packages the Amplifier with a reel, then this season it is being sold rod only.

So..Yup..your right, no factory combo's in 2003 for the Amplifier rods.

------------------
BACKWATER GUIDING
701-281-2300
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

I have an few battery poles that I've had for years (tweeps) is the name works excellent on panfish. It won't jig a bigger jig such as a Kastmaster or Rap but tie on a couple tear drops a foot apart and it will outfish about anything on panfish. When a fish bites it will either jig very fast or stop all together. Only draw back is about the only reel you can use is a plactic.

Welcome to the forum Iowaboy! I just sent a couple of those Twerps jigglesticks down to Iowa this past week and had someone tell me he thought more of his new twerp than he did the buzz-stick. I'm glad to hear you like yours as well. How long have you had your Twerps jigglestick? Just curious-TROY

I cant say too much about the Buzz stick as I haven't used one yet. But I can say the concept is a good one. The rod was designed to "micro" jig small panfish jigs. Micro jigging is extremely hard to accomplish. Very few anglers can master this type of jigging, this is probably the reason why this rod was invented. Micro jigging is the process of trying to duplicate microorganism's in the water that panfish feed on. This type of jigging can instantly trigger negative crappies,perch and bluegills into feeding. This rod was not intended to "jiggle" your bait all day long as we can do now with our own hands. If this rod can do what it was intended to do, it is by no means a gimmick.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
651-271-5459
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Aqua...I have had mine for 10-12 yrs. Like I said love it for panfish Buddy of mine took a couple to Devil's Lake a couple yrs ago and just hammered the perch on them. Wish they company wouldn't have went out of business they are getting hard to find. The story I heard was someone stole a truckload of them after the company closed thats the only reason you still see some once in a while.

Iowaboy I think I seen that on "Unsolved Mysteries", or was it on "The Cold Case Files"?

The ongoing baffling mystery of the "Hijacked treasure trove of "Jiggle Stix".

Ya...that's it!

wink.gif

------------------
BACKWATER GUIDING
701-281-2300
[email protected]
><,sUMo,>

IceJohn-
Oh great! Now it looks like I'm the guy who stole all the jiggle sticks! I don't believe it-after all these years and now sure enough,...wait,....I think I hear a siren. wink.gif
Seriously though, I know the family of the guy who patented the Twerps rods and that is how I was able to get a couple for Icejohn and a few more for another guy or two. You are right though Iowaboy, they do not make them anymore. Icejohn,...maybe you should use one rod and keep the other in it's original packaging,huh? I mean if those stupid beanie babies can get so popular than who knows? smile.gif TROY

icejohn..I'm near Webster City. I rigged mine with the plastic reel on top the side opposite the little control knob. I use the wooden stick out of a fudge bar with a couple rubber bands on the handle to hold down alittle wood plug or button on the switch. It's a pain if you have to hold the button all the time. I perfer the wood plug I drilled a small hole in it ran a piece of line threw the plug and tied it around the handle then you always have it with you. Another thing it's hard to use 2 at the same time because the sound of the jigging will tell you alot of times if you have a bite. If you have 2 going it's hard to listen to 1 out of 1 ear and 1 out of the other. Another tip if fishing fairly swallow water it's eaiser to hand over hand then it is to use the reel plus you don't lose the depth you were at. Make sure you get the plastic reel with the little pin in it so if you do use the reel you won't lose your depth. I rig mine with 3 or 4 lb trilene cold weather line and a couple tear drops or small genz worms. To much weight will cause it to not jig just have to play with it alittle. Also I only use regular batteries no Alkaline battires the old boy I bought mine from told me this I don't know why I just have always used heavy duty no alkaline. Sometimes when I put fresh batteries in I will just set it up and let it run for a hr or so to slow down the jigging action.

You will also need to build some kind of a rod holder to put it in. My dad has made some for me that work real well. The angle the rod will also influence the way it the rod will jig you will have to play arpund with that to. I perfer mine tilted back alittle bit rather then level. It all sounds complicated but once you get it all together there a breeze to use hope the helps.

Iowaboy

IowaBoy,Thanks for the imfor. I will try the botton trick.I plan to one for shallow water 5 to 8 foot.Pond that has some SUMO blue gills in it.P.S. Troy do I sirens no its the dog wanting out.I am keeping one in the package.Thanks for getting for me agin.ICE JOHN FISH ON