• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what would happen if???...

Kodiak

200+ atv's atver's showed up and rode the trail from shakopee to jordan in protest of the state law on atv trails and our paying of dues with no benifets.

that would make a statement.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear where you're coming from but, I'd be afraid of the outcome. For starters, my advice would be to get those 200+ ATVers down to the capitol when issues are being heard about ATVing in MN.

Originally Posted By: 4wanderingeyes
That would also tell the DNR that we are willing to break the law, which is why they are concerned about the trail in the first place!

I agree with this. It's due to the rogue few who ride where ever they want that prohibits us from gaining any ground with establishing new trails in Southern MN in the first place.

Just think of the funds the DNR would have with 200 wheelers at $100 a pop. My math tells me that would be $20,000 that they would more than likely spend on something other than ATV trails unless it was for more enforcement.

"my advice would be to get those 200+ ATVers down to the capitol when issues are being heard about ATVing in MN"

But where would the 200+ atv's ride at the capitol? grin.gif

You are correct they wont care about 200 + atv's getting tickets for riding on a non opend trail, they will like that, more money in their pockets! grin.gif

huh so all the news coverage of say 500 atvs running slow down trail with signs in blatent PROTEST of atv restriction just makes you think that all they would care about is $$$..and breaking rules....if you have to break rules to get them to pay attention then do it. I think 100.00 is cheap to get your point across, plus it would be a blast.

i know this is hypothetical, dont get all serious on me, i know how you guys work with your rules,,,sec.202343-6 says you cannot ride here and there. It is pure entertainment speculation.

We see your point Kodiak, but the BIG picture here is what are those with the most money going to do to combat our efforts. There are far better ways and venues to get more trails in Southern MN. As Dave mentioned, one is to get as many ATV riders to the capitol as possible when there are critical ATV issues on the agenda or to call your local representative.

I fear that a large group of riders taking to the trails that are closed to ATV's would generate way too much negative publicity.

yes and no on the negative publicity, it might create rumblings in the community that could sway in our favor ...or against...it would be a gamble.

i understand the club aspect and going to meetings at the capitol.

i am a responsible rider and never break the riding off trail rules but this would be a glorified "parade" march not a tear up 4x4 mudbog protest ride..

lets change the number to 1000 and not 200 for entertainment purposes.

Originally Posted By: Dave
Maybe ATVers can also use the upcoming summer event for the world's largest ATV parade as a publicity tool that says we need more trails in MN. Good topic to brainstorm on.

Now there's a great idea!

BigDave,

I'm preaching to the choir, I think but, I know quite a few ATVers have "cleared trails" for snowmobile use. That's why it's important that all motorsport recreations play well together. It'd be nice to get the dirt bikeers access to more trails, too.

Originally Posted By: Dave
BigDave,

I'm preaching to the choir, I think but, I know quite a few ATVers have "cleared trails" for snowmobile use. That's why it's important that all motorsport recreations play well together. It'd be nice to get the dirt bikeers access to more trails, too.

Dave,

I completely understand your point, and I am an example of an ATVer who has helped clear trails or put in or out signs for snowmobilers in the past. I havn't owned a snowmobile for 8 or so years.

My comment was a little bit tounge in cheek, but the reason I have done these things before for snowmobilers is because I have friends who still snowmobile and mainly because it is sort of fun to be able to ride my wheeler on the snowmobile trails even if it is just 1 time a year.

I would also like to go on the record as stating that ATVers riding an illegal trail to make a point about access is a BAD idea. It will never lead to anything good at all!

Here you go. This was in my email.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The ATVAM Legislative Committee is planning a day at the capitol. See how the law making process works, meet your state senator, house representative and attend Environment Committee meetings in the senate and house.

Date: Tuesday, March 4, 2008

175 W. 7th Street

St Paul, MN 55102

Directions and parking available at: http://www.theliffey.com

Located on the bottom of the Holiday Inn (kitty corner from Xcel Energy Center)

Holiday Inn - St. Paul - Downtown (RiverCentre)

Hotel Front Desk: 1-651-225-1515

PLEASE PRE-REGISTER BY FRIDAY, February 29, 2008 if you are planning on attending by contacting Cheryle Young via email at [email protected] or call 763-422-4086 or 800-442-8826.

AGENDA

7:30 - 8:15 a.m.

Registration & Continental Breakfast

8:15 - 9:15 a.m.

ATV Legislative Briefing

- Phill Morud, ATVAM President

- Ken Irish, ATVAM Legislative Committee Chair

- Ray Bohn, ATVAM Lobbyist

- Jonathan Bohn, ATVAM Lobbyist

9:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.

ATVAM Day at the Capitol

Please make appointments with your House and Senate members prior to the day of the event.

To find your legislators: http://www.leg.state.mn.us/leg/Districtfinder.asp or call Jonathan Bohn at (651) 815-1196 and he can help you find your legislators.

When setting the appointment tell legislators staff that you are a constituent.

Attend Committee hearings in both the House and Senate

- 8:00 a.m. House Environment and Natural Resources Finance meets in the State Office Building Room 5

- 12:30 p.m. Senate Environment and Natural Resources Policy meets in the Capitol Room 107

- 4:00 p.m. House Environment and Natural Resources Policy meets in the State Office Building Room 5

Stop by the Capitol North Corridor to see the ATV display!

(1st floor by Room 107)

Thank you for your participation in this event!

The ATVAM Legislative Committee

Originally Posted By: Kodiak
ATTN: 1000 riders

Can you imagine how channel 5 would put this on the 6pm news...

"Band of 1000 crazy bikers tear up a state snowmobile trail"...details at 10pm grin.gif

There is better ways.

I dont like politics, but i guess sometimes you have to join em' to beat em' ;\)

Originally Posted By: MuleShack
 Originally Posted By: Kodiak
ATTN: 1000 riders

Can you imagine how channel 5 would put this on the 6pm news...

"Band of 1000 crazy bikers tear up a state snowmobile trail"...details at 10pm grin.gif

There is better ways.

I dont like politics, but i guess sometimes you have to join em' to beat em' ;\)

or..............

channel 5 news goes.

thousand atv riders protesting the state conspiracy of taking millions of dollars in regisration fees paid every year by thousands of atv riders and they have no where to go. What is the state doing with their money? mmmmm...investigation at 10pm.

keep in mind this senario is a slow ride "parade" protest with signs and commentary.

it is all fiction, if you are gonna say for the 50th time riding a non atv trail is illegal dont say anything at all people have posted that many times already and we all know it is illegal. that is why it is a protest against the unfair laws.

You would be better off trailering those 1000 atv's to the capitol and sitting on them in the front of the capitol, then your story would make news! I wouldnt sugguest riding them while your there!

Kodiak,

I know that you are frustrated with the lack of riding oportunities here in the metro, but have you ever been up-north? There is hundreds of miles of ATV trails all over the northern part of the state. These trails are being expanded all the time so we can't forget all the GOOD things that are happening in this state for ATVers.

You need to focus your energy on something more positive. Do you even belong to ATVAM, and a local ATV club? These people are working hard toward the same goal as you. Don't hinder thier progress by getting people all in an uproar, Instead join them and try to be part of the solution.

There are good things happening out there, we just need to be patient.

Violating the law in order to protest is more likely to gain negative publicity than positive. We have the right to "legal" assembly, not "illegal" assembly. Keep that in mind.

Bob

Originally Posted By: BobT
Violating the law in order to protest is more likely to gain negative publicity than positive. We have the right to "legal" assembly, not "illegal" assembly. Keep that in mind.

Bob

havent we established that already?

I think it is other people that use the trails that complain about ATV use on trails and the trails being damaged.

The state is going with who has the loudest or most voice.

Non-motorized use of trails is becoming more and more popular and that is the biggest competition.