• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who's all going to be out chasing some deer this weekend? What are some of your goals? Do you stay in a deer camp? Do you hunt private or public land? Do you have your eye on a certain buck? Are you a sitter, a walker or do you drive the the deer?

I plan to get out maybe 5-6 days. My goal this year has always is hopefully a safe hunt and no problems with any other hunters since I hunt only public land. I have a frezzer full of antelope so I won't be knocking any does or young bucks down. Hopefully a 8 pointer or bigger will make a mistake and walk bye. Which dosen't always happen wink.gif My hunting party will sit early and late and make small drives during the day. I would like to see my dad shoot a nice buck, been a few years since hes gotten a dandy. Would like to see the 13yr in the group find out what buck fever is all about grin.gif

Has I get older I find myself becoming a different hunter. Killing has become less important. I find myself enjoying all the other things that go into hunting. Such has family, friends, the woods, etc.

Good luck to everyone this weekend. Be safe, take a kid with and hope you find what your looking for.

I will be up hunting, I hunt primarly private land, and midweek I may venture out into the public land if there isnt nobody there. We usually try to get 5-6 deer between our party of 3. I mostly meat hunt, but after we get 5-6 deer big bucks only.

For us it is a vacation, just time away from the every day life, we hunt most of the 9 day hunt. We drink some beers and let the talk fly. We stop in at the local pubs and harras the cheeseheads during game days, but this year it looks like it will be payback time smirk.gif . Oh well its all in good fun! I know what your saying, for me its more exciting to see someone else get their first buck, or first deer then for me to get another.

Good luck to all and have a safe hunt! And by the way if its orange, its not a deer, dont shoot unless you are sure what your shooting at, and what is behind it!

I'll be hunting the grandparents/uncles farm near Eleva hoping for a decent doe or two and maybe a P&Y class buck or better. I'm far more into bowhunting and if anything gun hunting is a relaxing time to get out with my dad and uncle - its tradition. Gonna work Mon-Wed but the other days are fair game. Safety and good times together first, seeing and killing some deer are a bonus. Coyotes are fair game as always. Good luck to all and be safe!

Will be hunting on my own land and probably only Sat., sun, and Thanksgiving day (I have to work the rest) and then The last saturday we butcher our deer that day.

Good luck everyone and please be safe, I don't want to be called out on any first Responder calls for hunting accidents. Please use your safty harnesses!!

Jar Jar

Will be hunting private land this year. The buck I did have my eye on, was shot by the neighbors last friday. 12pts 20 1/2 in spread. frown.gif Not sure what my goal will be now, mama says no more shoulder mounts, so...hopefully I don't score bigger than I have already. Meat on the table works for me though. It looks to be a good "rut weather" weekend, so I'm pumped.

Saturday I had a beautiful 10pt outside ears chasing a doe in my yard (city limits) at 1:30 in the afternoon. I bout passed out, couldn't believe what I was seeing. Good thing is he is within 1.5miles from where I'm sitting, so always a chance. So make sure you sit long, with rut in full gear ya never know when you'll see the big one. Good Luck and Be Safe!!!

Opening weekend Ill be hunting Douglas county forest with my cousin who is still in the Navy,coming up on leave. My Dad will be up to join us on Thur - Sun. I gotta work mon-wed.

1st goal, have a safe and enjoyable hunt.

2nd goal, put meat in the freezer.

I'll shoot ole mossy horns one of these days, until then, I enjoy the hunt, the comrader and the taste of venison.

So how are you guys predicting the rut for this weekend? Think they will still be chasing does? Will it be a waist of time to use scent, calls, or rattle? I am thinking I will atleast try it. What do you guys think?

It seems the rut just started up north here. yesterday I had a doe cross in front of me and there was a buck with its head down not too far behind it. I don't think using scents or rattling would hurt.I would use the scent for sure. I sure hope this wind dies down before the weekend frown.gif

Jar Jar

Thanks that is what I thought. Yes the wind needs to die down, I built a new stand this year, up on a hill side, no wind cover from the south, what was I thinking confused.gif. I wanted to put up walls on it, but didnt get them done, so, the wind will be a huge factor on my sitting time.

Good luck hunting this weekend, be safe! Lets see some nice pictures after the hunt. grin.gif

well rain will keep me out of stand, I have had more then once problems with my gun after being out in the rain, its not worth wrecking my gun. But if its not raining I will be in stand. And I am sure that will change 10 times between now and this weekend grin.gif . Snow I can handle.

did northwestern wisconsin get any snow today? i know there were fluries around the state and heard possibly something measurable up north. will any of it stay if there is some on the ground? i heard around 3 inches fell last weekend but was gone the next day. always helps to have an inch or two on the ground for opener...

I will be leaving to head to deer camp at 530 tonight, thats 5 hrs and 40 minutes, I cant focus on work, so I should have taken this afternoon off also grin.gif. Normally I get up to my cabin at 10:30 friday night and have to unpack, open up cabin, drink a couple beers, and settle down to go to bed. By then its 2 am. This year we decided take off all day friday then head up thursday, I am glad we are doing that, I couldnt handle another full day of work.

I'm having a little trouble getting excited this year. I think it's because there's not a lot of sign where we hunt. A pack af wolves moved in and most of the deer moved on. I am hoping that my kid gets a chance at a nice buck and I'm hoping my buddy's Dad gets a big one. It.s been a few years for him. cool.gif Mostly I just want to get out of the house for a few days and get my woods time in. grin.gif I haven't had much of a chance with the little kids.

Everybody have a safe season and have fun. grin.gif

I will be heading out of here soon, its all about having fun and getting away anyway. I have alot of does, and small bucks, but havent seen a big or even a basket rack this year Hopefully they are just waiting to show their faces to me next week grin.gif .

I will be heading to my parents this weekend for gun opener, near Waumandee (Buffalo Cty). Have been scouting a lot of nice bucks in our woods. My dad called me today and said the rut is still on pretty strong. I will post pics of my monster soon enough!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I'll be heading down to my dad's land near the St. Croix River in Polk Cty. We'll be surely thinning the herd by taking as many mature does as we can and hopefully take a buck or two 120"or better. Year after year we pass up small bucks and though hunting pressure is high in the area the neighbors haven't shot all the bucks we've let grow. Our QDM over the years is paying off with many nice bucks being seen lately on the property. Needless to say I am pumped. My goal is to take three mature does an one dandy buck... just have to make sure it's not bigger than my archery buck from MN so I don't wind up with another taxidermy bill!

Hey guys and gals, just sending out a lil luv out to you all for this hunting season. Shoot straight and be safe out there. The first shot will be sounding pretty soon and I hope some FM people bag their trophy!!!

I'll be fishing.. smile.gif

Well, My buddy and I ended up with a buck a piece, mine being a 7-pointer and his being a 5- pointer. Between the two of us we seen 7 bucks and only two does. WE will start again on Thursday and hopefully get a couple of baldies to finish up the year.

Jar Jar