• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help with dog Breed

This is a puppy that came to my parents about 3 days ago. He was placed in their yard by the Sheriff's Department thinking that it was one of our dogs. I'm puzzle as to identify what is this little puppy's breed? He seems to be about 6 weeks old and quite playful.

I think I know what breed he is but I won't say it until I have more comparisons. I've had dog(s) before and my folks have 3 currently so there aren't much room left for a 4th dog. This puppy came without any IDs or any other tags. I do not want another dog to go the SPCA and end up dead.

Puppy1.jpg

Pit bull or pit bull cross was my first thought, cableguy. I used to breed and

raise golden retreivers, and this guy doesn't look anything like a golden pup.

Hey Paul, can you keep your images to 800 pixels at most on the long side?

That'll be plenty big for most screens will keep these posts from stretching

way out from side to side. Thanks. grin.gif

It is definately not a pure lab of any kind, when my two pups were that age their ears could touch the tip of their noses and those small perky ears don't look very big. It tough to say this early.

grin.gif

I have t say though he is pretty darn cute for being a possible mix, I'm purebred fan.

On a side note, there is something to be said about irresponsible dog breeding and letting dogs run about all over not fix. If Bob Barker did anything good for this world it was spreading the word about fixing your pets. grin.gif

Ya St they are hard to tell apart and I am far from an expert but looking at those eyes reminded me more of a terrier that a friend had more than a pit bull. Though I have not been up close with a pit bull yet. smile.gif

Update: After flying out to California to my parents and checking out the puppy, I decided that it wasn't a puppy for me. It has rather large paws for such a puppy that age and it has potential to grow into a much bigger dog. I love big dogs but I'm limited to 25-35lbs where I live.

I did look into many suggestions on what type of breed he is and I found out that he's part pit bull AKA Staffordshire Pit Terrier. In my opinion, people are strongly misled and misinformed about this breed in regards to its behavior and demeanor. I also believe that given an opportunity, this type of breed can be protective rather than vicous as some media sources may deem it to be so.

During my interaction with the puppy for 4 days, I realized that this is a puppy that would be suited for a one(1) dog household. It seems to disobey and have total disregard for the other 3 dogs that are currently established. I've tried to socialize all 4 dogs together to establish a "pack" mentality and that resulted in a fight between the puppy and the Chihuahua.

I don't know what to do since this dog doesn't seem to pipe down unless he's sleeping. He whines and yelps constantly except when he's off the leash. He doesn't play well with other dogs and seemed to irritate them more than interact. I tried to take him to the SPCA, not the dog pound, but they refused to take him since he was a stray and not our own dog. I don't want to take him to the dog pound because he'll end up dead. I don't want to put him out on the street because that's cruel and irresponsible on my part. I don't think this dog would be good around kids. I'm out of ideas, anyone have any other ideas?

cableguy, go over to the "free things/giveaway" board here on FM and offer the pup. Many breeds are known for not getting along well with other dogs, and both the terrier breeds mentioned fall into that category. There's wide variation in personality even within a breed, though, and it looks like your fella belongs in a one-dog household alright.

Thank you for the suggestion, however, the puppy is in California, not here in Minnesota. We'll just have to post an ad offering it for free. But it doesn't hurt to try.

This dog is a handful and may need a big house where he's the only dog.

Definitely not a Boxer, I had many and they don't resemble at all.

Is it male or female ? Too bad it's in CA, if was MN it would have been adopted already....our state has one of the highest rate of dog adoption

ofunfa32wa1.jpg

Puppy1.jpg

Could not find an all brown one, but it looks kind of like a boxer to me! I could be totaly wrong, but it struck me as my buddies old boxer Apollo. Likes just like him. He was all tan/brown like this pup!

I will throw in a pitbull pup pick for example also!

l1f7cr6jc66.jpg

My pitt/rott retains her pitt mothers tan coat that looks very close to the same tan color as this dog. I noticed the very black nose on your pup, my dogs nose has tan pigment to it, not very black looking at all. The example boxer pic seems to have a partially very black nose. Does this help you identify the breed of your dog?

He is a cute pup!