• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Ice house registration.

Crawlerman

Is it just me, or does the new regs seem dumb to require you to put either your full name and adress or DL # (which is a 19 digit number-- including dashes!) in 2" letters on portable shacks? First thing-- stickers don't go that well on tarp/canvas; and if you were to use a felt marker or paintbrush; what if you want to sell it? And what about ice houses that are really too small to have an adequate place to display such information? What they should do is have a 5 or 6 digit transferable licence # that one would put on the side of the house instead; like with boats and snowmobiles. That way it'd fit better on smaller shacks, be less of a pain in the butt to do, and be easier to leave that on there instead of having to paint over it when you try to sell it. And from what I seen the new license is on an 12x8" white sheet of paper with bold print on it; isn't that enough for a permenant that the DNR officer could just read?

[This message has been edited by Crawlerman (edited 12-18-2002).]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree because, I have a small portable and I painted my name on it with a paintbrush and if it is a real cold day, the paint peels off, so now my name is getting hard to read, and I can't spray paint it or you will never be able to read it, what am I supposed to do?? I just hope I never have a run in with the DNR on this.

I got a Fish Trap Lite, probably one of the smallest prtables around and I put my Lic. # on it no problem, the reg used to call for 3 inch letters. I wrote mine on with a red marker, did it in the cold, doesn't peel. If I ever sell the thing then it's the next guys problem.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

I agree with you crawlerman, but i think that you should only need the tag on the house. The CO should be able to get the name of the owner of the house off of the card, just scan the number into their computer and there the owners name, address, and drivers license number will come up. Does this make sense or am i just crazy? i think this would save us a lot of hassle and money!

I dont think a person should have to put anything but a shelter tag on it unless left overnight.Isnt the name and address or DL# only for identification anyway?Crawlerman mentioned 8x12 sheet is that in a different state?My MN sticker is only 3x4.Some of the Canvas places will sew in a clear pocket so you can put your info on cardboard and slide it in

Here is an inexpensive and sharp looking fix to the ice house license problem . I have a purple otter lodge with the outside clear plastic sleeve . Enid went to Archivers ( a metro scrapbooking supply store ) and made my drivers license numbers in 2" purple paper
then glued them onto yellow construction paper, in 3 rows, and trimed of the excess. I then brought it to Mail Box ETC. store and had it laminated.I just slid it into the plastic sleeve and leave it there. the house folds up o.k. with it left in there and it's weather proof and if I want to sell it I just take it out.

Yeah, a person's ID info is right there on the shelter permit itself. Sounds like the DNR is just making work for people. After all, who cares if the regulations get so complicated that a certain percentage of would-be fishermen throw their hands up in the air and say "forget it, I'm done." rolleyes.gif

I live in Wis., where you don't need a shelter permit, but where up until this season you had to have your name and address in 3-inch letters on your shelter. So I got out the permanent magic marker. Then they changed the freaking rule, and no ID is required on the shelter. Sheesh.

I'd recommend putting that ID info in marker on a piece of cardboard trimmed to the right size. Then you can tie it off with string or leader wire to a window or one of the mesh vents on a portable. It folds up OK when you collapse the shelter, and who cares if the cardboard kinks up a little. Makes the DNR look closely. grin.gif

I put my name and driver's license # (12 digits+1letter) on 8x12 cardstock. I bought 2" black vinyl letters from Walmart. I had room for some reflective tape, and then I covered it with clear contact paper.
There is a clear pocket on my Clam Junior that it fits in. All I need to find is a safety pin to make sure the wind doesn't pull it out.

I think this stinks also!!! Being an out of stater with a portable the fee alone is just plain stupid. Oh Well!!! The price you pay to fish in "Gods Country" (I Hate Using that Term)
Anyway what I did is print on my computer in (I think) 150 Font a sign with Name and City and State.
It measures about 1-3/4" but is more readable then most Signs / Tags I have seen.
I put this in a "3-Ring Binder" type protector cover and then taped off the opening. I just slide the official sticker inside in the corner and safety pin it to the outside of my canvas.
I have never been asked or questioned by a CO officer but depending on my coherence I would argue tell I was either ticketed or arrested I guess.
I move so darn often when on the ice and never never leave my portables out over night unless I am occupying it.
C’mon DNR get your head in the priorities that need to be addressed.

Angler

[This message has been edited by S.D. Ice Angular (edited 12-18-2002).]

I have an idea, how about not having to license your portables? It's too much, there's no end to it. Next thing you'll need a tip-up license, or a rod tag. Maybe they'll make it like spearing and require a seperate license. You'll have to buy the "privilege" of shelter to carry on your person with your angling license. It's an endless debate, the unfortunate thing in my mind, is that the majority of the people on this site love paying for this stuff, because "it's a small price to pay".

I don't mind paying the fee. I often have 3 different portables licenced each winter. But the whole new sticker licence program should have everything that is needed for the DNR. It's not like it used to be where you get a generic little tag or metal disk. Now the sticker can have any info the DNR needs, and they stick well on any plastic window. Because of this, the 2" letter law is out dated and needs to go.

It is a small price to pay!
I think the reason for the info on the shack is so if the shack is abandoned or ends up on the bottom of the lake they will know who it belongs too.
I guess I don't see what the big deal is, I'm not a big goverment kinda guy but natural resourse managment is something I would like to see the goverment do more of and I would be more than willing to pay for it. 11 bucks is a small price to pay for the shack license and the 2 minutes it takes to write my lic. # on the outside is nothing compared to the time I spend on the ice.

------------------
Have a good one!
CWMN

So if I come to Minnesota on a fishing vacation I have to buy a portable shack licence and have my name and adress on it even if I'm an out of stater? I'm from Michigan where you don't need any info at all on a portable, or any kind of licence. Sounds to me like another way for the DNR to rip us sportsmen off.

OK, I'm not one who tries to stir the fire, but I'm gonna call it how I see it.

I think Minnesota's ice shelter regulations are a crock! The regulations regarding permanents vs. portables are vague at best. I see the need for ID on shelters left overnight or for extended periods (e.g. contact info. for poor ice conditions). But do we really need 2" info on a portable that's certainly occupied and only being used for the day?

Minnesota is the only state I've ever been in that requires shelter licensing. I assume the parallel justification is boat licensing. The fact that it even applies to portables is laughable. The difference between having a permanent vs. portable on the ice is about the same as the difference between fishing from a boat vs. shore.

I am a non-resident (by 300 yds.) Nonetheless, I've paid the $35 for fishing, the $78 for small game, and the $126 for a bow tag every year, (plus 2 bear tags the last 3 yrs; $196 in 2002), without complaint. But paying $34 so I can flip a piece of canvas over my head is pushing the limit.

I used to be a MN resident and it would not change my opinion. I will still fish in Minnesota, but I prefer to make my opinion known.

[This message has been edited by Matt D (edited 12-19-2002).]

CWMN,

Do you really think that MN has a problem with abandon portables?

A portable creates a temporary, removable cover over our heads for comfort. The next thing you know, they will require a parka or glove license. We need to get some representation on this. We have to start drawing the line! I say it needs to be something like this:

-If the walls and ceiling are made of fabric, and collapse or come apart, it is a portable shelter and should not require licensing.

-If it is of a permanent structure, and/or is left unoccupied on the ice. (Unoccupied being defined as out of sight of the occupants), it needs to be licensed as a permanent shelter.

What would be the best way, and who would be the best people to voice our opinions to?

JW

I agree that it is a pain to put ID on a portable and to have to buy a shelter tag for it seems like a rip off.

Some people do leave portables on the ice overnight and in a 'permanent' spot. I think that's why the DNR forces everyone to buy the shelter tag. It's easier for them to say everyone do it rather than say if you leave it out over night or unattended that it needs the tag.

Two years ago I saw 3 C.O.'s combing a very busy lake for someone in a stolen blue portable. Seems a guy saw someone setting up near him that he didn't recognize. When the portable was flipped over he saw his buddy's name on the house and called it in. There were probably 20 or 30 blue houses out there. They nailed the guy pretty quick because they didn't have to walk up to each house and read the little tag. The name and address were on the house in black permanent marker, looked like they had been traced from stencils and colored in nice and dark.

If it helps get a stolen shack back to someone I don't mind doing it.

Say...,

I'm sure the guy was happy to get his shelter back, but c'mon, where does it end. Do we have to put our names in 2" letters on everything that we register with the state.

If you want to, you can. But don't kid yourself into thinking that the state is doing us any favors.

OK, let the state require registration, but not identification on portables other than the tag they issue. BUT... here's the kicker, this money goes into a separate fund that they must use to the benefit of ICE FISHING ONLY! Not into the general funnel of out of control spending!

Yes, I'm a little wound up about the state's spending problems and providing someting to every person that asks for a handout, while they impose more regs. and fees upon us to fund it.

Just my 10 cents...

"Keep your stick on the ice, and remember: If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." RED GREEN

JW

For those of you complaining about the need to purchase a shelter license, there is a simple answer - its three words long, and it goes like this: "Follow the money".

A couple of years ago, Outdoor News (I think) ran a series of articles on various proposals in front of the legislature - one of which included dropping the requirement for shelter licenses on portables.

A DNR offical was quoted in the article about the concern DNR had for that particular loss of funds - it was a significant number w/ lots of zeros behind it.

I will admit that I do my share of griping about license fees in this state - especially if I buy a slug of them all at once like in the early fall w/ asst'd hunting licenses/permits.

But - keeping things in perspective - how much do we (as sportsman/woman) spend on the toys we have? Lets see - the portable shelter I just bought was $400. And I can't fork out another $10 for the shelter tag?

My last thought is this - no one says you have to fish w/ a shelter. If you don't want to pay for the shelter tag, don't use one. I know that I ice fish a whole bunch more now since I got my first shelter 5 years ago than I did before that.

UG

Minnesota has some of the most reasonable prices for non-residents to come to our state and fish or hunt. try being a minnesota resident and go to border states to get a license. If you want to go to Iowa to hunt deer you end up paying like $300.00 bucks. If you bird hunt in ND they limit you to 14 days. I don't want to see MN do that to non-residents, I think cross border business is good for all involved. have you ever seen what portin of SD fish & game budget is derived from non-resident licens sales. when MN residents cry about a lousy $12.50 for a shelter tag, get over it! $hit! you pay like $7.00 bucks for a stinking dozen shiners,I spend more cash in one or two weekends on fuel ( truck, boat, atv )than I do all all year on my license's. so get over it! when they want to raise the fee's by $.50 or buck, quit crying and be thankful that our state has so much to offer. same goes for all the non-residents, i have never been one who is unhappy with non-resident comming here to enjoy the fishing and hunting. like I said MN is on the low end of pricing. if you don't like it, stay home.

Like I said, I gladly pay nonresident fees (when I can afford them) without complaint. I just find the PRINCIPLE of shelter licensing, particularly for portables, a bit irritating,

[This message has been edited by Matt D (edited 12-19-2002).]

How can we change this stupid portable house licence thing? I am sick of even having to buy this licence every year. Plus doesn't the license run out sometime in feb so if you are going to bust some late season panfish you have to buy anoher one? And it never fails I always forget. I was nailed 2 years ago on Lake Minnetonka for not having that license and they guy told me he would cut me a deal by writing me up as if I had the license but forgot to lable my icehouse. it was still 75 buck! If you get busted without a ice house license I guess you can't fish the rest of the ice season..

We NEED TO CHANGE THIS LAW...But how?

I agree that the concept of licensing a portable is a bunch of talk...but even worse is the labeling requirement. I just got a otter lodge, fortunately it has a clear plastic sleeve big enough to fit a letter sized sheet in it. The 2" letter reg is a joke. And another question- is it the CO's job to go looking for shelter thieves? Seems to me this is a job that should be left for local or county law enforcement. I'm glad the guy got his shelter back but this is not the point of having licenses. Seems like just an outdated law that applied well to permanent houses but has not adapted to the changing trends of the marketplace... Typical Government In Action scenario.

Sorry for the ranting.

TL