• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

King of the Cats 2007 Team River Rats

DTro

I hit the swing bridge from shore on pool 2 yeterday morning. Threw out bull head at end of fence and got a good sized fish on with in the first 10-15 minutes. It got its self wrapped up in tree and fence. What ever it was, it was big and I could feel it tug once and awhile when I was trying to get is loose. I should of just set poll down and let fish work it self out, but thinking I could help I keeped going up and down shore untill line broke have way on snell. I have to down load it from my phone, but a little visitor came my way while fishing. It was sunning it self out on floating wood by fence. I did not get close enough to tell if it was a rattler or other water snake. It hade diamond shapes all down its side and was about 5' long. Makes ya think about whats behind you sitting on shore. I will post pictures later. Hope to get out on boat this weekend. Scratched up north plans to go back to river. May be later in day on Sat., we will hit Minnesota river.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This what I mean. I know it is not the best picture (down loaded from cell phone), but it sure is spooky. I always knew there are snakes down by river, but never saw one before. It puts you into a differnt state of mind down there.

8VoV7q6mrmhqWW9W4FmMAQ0SRFoMJ5280300.jpg

tBvajPYz+SOtvCfepr05sNaUlB--gj8I0300.jpg

What a fast action but very bad night for hooking up with fish. We started out around 7 and at approx 9 our rod tips started popping. Darren did manage to hook up with a couple 8-10 pounders and that was it for the both of us. I did manage to hook up with a real dandy, but it only lasted for a few seconds and puff, it was gone along with my bullie.

We probably had a total of close to 20 runs on our bullies and by the looks of the teeth marks, the walleyes were really having fun with us. Oh well, tonight back with the eye gear.

Well did not get down to the city's like I thought, yesterday. Personal stuff came up. Did get down last night from shore in Elk River, Mississippi. All I had was bullheads and did not get nothing before rain started. Went out today with whole famiely and caught a couple cats. They were smaller than one I have allready reg.. Caught alot of sucker and carp. The biggest fish of the day, was caught by my oldest. It was a 8lbs 7 oz. carp.

oBDgx47jqWhc12R3Ym0bBZ0TFxAZF9bs0300.jpg

With whole family down their, I was running 10 to 11 rods at one time, all along bank in background. Hit local park and kids had a blast. Well, will hit city's some time this week. Still going to get that flat. ooo.gif

Made it out Saturday night for a couple hours of running and gunning a few spots I have been wanting to check out on Pool 4. Ended up with a big 0, and got chased off the water at 11:30 with the nig Thunderstorm came pounding in. It was neat to watch it coming. Kept thinking, go north, go north, then dump, I had better get out of here confused.gif

Next weekend though, I think I will try for some channels to at least get on the board, and after dark, hit a few more flathead spots.

AS we fish this summer, lets all try to catch one of each specie so everyone has points for the channels and the flatheads. After that we can then all work on upgrading our catch. Good luck to all and lets go get um. cool.gif

harvey lee,

Thats a good plan. I figure if I can not make it down to pool 2 or Minnesota, I would take advantage of some of the channel action in Elk River and surrounding area's. Flats are far and few up hear (I have seen them caught, not big), but a 20 lbs channel is a big possiblity. I have only had those possiblity's occur in boats on Mississippi, and you almost need a john boat to get to spots. My buddies 14 alum. got a large burst in hull over winter due to ice forming in hull over winter. I have seen some very good deals this spring on small boat set up's. Used to take my big boat down their and learned the hard way. Shore fishing is still a good option. It at least gets you on board and you have fun. Anyone up in northern river area, cut sucker's are key right now. The channels seem to be off of crawlers, but do not rule them out. I have been fishing with all kinds of bait up here and suckers are the best. Down town, I would use nothing but bulls. Normal years I would of have a couple of more trips down to Miss and Mn, but there is alot of summer left and the fun just started. Hope to see some of you guys down thier this year. My buddies are starting to thin out and will post if open seats start to come. Good luck!

Quote:

Dtro,

I see you set your time stamp on camera to correct date and time
grin.gif
. Cool! Nice fish Mr. Hatlestad.

yep, I'm such a (Contact Us Please). Somebody finally clued me in that I had the wrong year. Guess that happens when fishing is the only thing on your mind grin.gif

Have not been able to get out this week, I run a landscape material delivery service on the side and been running around dropping loads and fixing equipment. I will head ER to do some shore fishing with kids on Thursday afternoon... Will stock up on bull heads for weekend (Friday night). I am heading to Minnesota come high water or he11 on Friday night. Anyone else heading down that way on Friday? I think we will launch at 35w bridge again and head south/east. I do not like running west from their, because of green barge tie off's in middle or river. At night, I would hate to hit one of those things. I do not think they have lights on them.

At least you tried! I have been putting new track tire on and servicing my Bobcat all night. Just finally pulled it outside. Getting all my ducks in row for fishing with kids on Thursday night. I had a couple of beers and listen to some good old rock and roll. Now it is time to go to bed. I know I will get on board with my first flat this Friday. Good night!

alright guys i'm back home now, and i don't have to leave until late sunday night or monday morning grin.gif i'm going to try and get out this weekend for some cattin, but my ma and her boyfriend are coming up from iowa today until sunday so we are going to be doing a lot of fishing for eyeballs and pike but hopefully i can talk him into going on the river for some real fishing grin.gif but will post some pics if we have any success, and one thing i like about fishing with this dude is he is as dedicated to cpr as much as i am

Every thing set in stone for Friday night. Still up in the air on were to launch. I got some very large shad today. Brother-in law got bullies to night and frozen sucker is in freezer. Rerigged polls and messed around with boat seating and New "scotty" rod holds. These things are cool!. I mount them to railing lond side of boat. They should work for plainner boarding on Mille Laces nice as well.I am going to try a foot long snell on my 4 once no roll and see what effect this has on hook set. Weighted snell slides freely on line in front of barrel swivle to hook, via a barrel swivle loop. I am going to try switching to 8/0 octupuss to see if I can hook up better. Also trying and extra foot or so on my snell to hook. I get the tags, but have a hard time making hook set. Hopfully this will change my hook to cat ratio. Talk at ya later!

Well got down to Lillydale at prime time Friday night, was on water around 7:30 to 8:00 p.m.. Headed up MN and lost anchor right away. I luckly had my anti-sway little anchor for rear of boat, that would hold us on some spots. Tried tying off of cut banks, but could not hold on spots we had planned to fish. Stay out untill 2:00 a.m. with very little luck. Threw the book of bait at them and the only thing we got was a couple of sheep head off of crawlers. Still fun to get down, but sure wished to get first flat head. Ah well, still a little early for that area. Will get out from shore up on norther part of river this week. Might hit a couple of spots in Monti, that have produced a flat once or twice and the biggest channel I have seen caught up here. Sorry troups, thought I would got more points for our team. Still a long summer in front of us. Good luck!

I got into a couple fish that will make the board. First was a 27" x 17.5" channel cat on a live sucker early in the night. The second was a sister fish only a flathead. This one went 27x17" on a live bullhead. I will post pictures when I get a chance, but this stupid work thing keeps me from everything crazy.gif

I had a few more runs, but just couldn't capitalize on them. I need to get out with someone, as I had a couple of runs on both rods at the same time. I also did not have much luck anywhere other then within a foot of the heaviest cover I could find. 2' no bites, 1', clicker grin.gif

I should have them up later today grin.gif