• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Photo sharing...Panfish

Esoxcop, Now those are some true trophy bull sunfish. Seeing those pics bring back to a time long ago fishing a lake just outside the boundry waters. We could see the sunfish on the beds and in the water with the polorized sunglasses they looked the size of dinner plates. They did not disappoint and once captured they went 12 inches plus and well over a pound. I have never since that time seen sunfish the size of dinner plates but these pic certainly remind of that time and give me hope that the elusive monster bulls are still out there

Fantastic pictures and thank you for sharing.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm jealous!

My guess is that the lake you are fishing is private or else everyone in the area knows about the importance of selective harvest.

Congratulations on those trophy's!!! Did you happen to get a measurement on some of those Gill's?

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

All fish were caught on public waters. You just have to time the spawn right or you won't find em. The fish in the photos on both pages are 10.5 to 12.5 inches with the biggest weighing in at 1lb 13oz.

Esox, I've caught some big gills before, and those are absolutely incredible, I've only seen one that was 12", but it wasn't near as fat as those. This is my biggest, caught last winter and it went almost 11.5, but as you can tell your fish are considerably thicker.

biggill-1.jpg

I definitely believe you on measurements and would say you're being conservative on the weight! It doesn't look like you have real small hands, and those fish are just absurd.

Jack took me out on the river backwaters today and we really got into the bluegills, mabye got 200, plus around 50 crappies

the sun is risin, on the road to the fish!

highway.jpg

I start getting gills right away shallow with my 3 wt flyrod!

kneegill.jpg

biggill.jpg

gillonminnowfly.jpg

Jack gets a good crappie

jacksslab.jpg

more crappies

spec3.jpgspec2.jpg

backwtrslab.jpg

crappieclose.jpg

crappie on the red maki

makicrappie.jpg

gills on the stoni

stonigill.jpg

stoni2.jpg

topwater poppers

poppergill.jpg

gill7.jpg

the jig, with a mousi plastic a killer combo

jignplastic.jpg

fishtank.jpg

frttrain.jpg

another Great day on the water! cool.gif

sunset-6.jpg

Here are some more backwater action pics!

Me and Jack got back down on the river Saturday, they were biting even better. Got lots of crappies and sunfish. got lots on my flys and jigs I made, and many on plastics too

First fish of the morning!

mt1slab.jpg

jacks1stslab.jpg

more slabs

monstaslab.jpg

mtslabber.jpg

jignbee.jpg

bigcrop.jpg

mtcrop.jpg

pnyllwcrppie.jpg

plasticcrop.jpg

slabber.jpg

Bluegills

yellowgillfly.jpg

purplebull.jpg

P1010062_02.jpg

firstfish.jpg

bgillonjignbee.jpg

bigmplasticbull.jpg

fatgill-1.jpg

even some toothy fish showed up

wally.jpg

had a big pike on for a while but it must have been camera shy, no pic! wink.gif

some of my flys

Unleaded

flies.jpg

leaded

jigs.jpg[/

Got back to the river this weekend, the bite was slower but the fish were bigger with some crappies and jumbo perch over a pound! I got mine around three ft down with jig and plastics...

Jacks slab

jackslab.jpg

Some good ones

mtslab.jpg

mtslab2.jpg

nice color

greencrappie.jpg

fallslab.jpg

Jack gets his favorite fish! :lol:

jackspike.jpg

Dave and mitch seek some slabs in the timber

daveandmitch.jpg

boatin'

boatin.jpg

nice perch

niceperch.jpg

perchie.jpg

a true jumbo perch!

jumbo.jpg

another great sunset to end another great day!

sunset-7.jpg

Cy...I normally don't get excited about summer perch, but the ones in your pictures would get any perch fishermen excited, summer, or winter! Man, what nice looking fish, that coloring is great!

Perch fishing on Mille Lacs is one of my favorite winter outtings. I've also fished em in the fall for the last couple of years, although enjoyable, I'm not much for the crowds and the size isn't comparable to the winter season....so I cut that enjoyment short.

The last time up, my friend and I hunted the perch in areas away from the crowds and only wound up with afew, but we also got afew walleyes and about 20 largemouth bass up to about 3 pounds. That kind of surprised me, I thought the muskies would keep them kinda thinned down? Anyways, nice fish!

The Mississippi River perch are definitely making a comeback. I used to get Mille Lacs quality fish as a kid in the pool 9 area of the river. I don't fish down that way much anymore, concentrating my efforts mostly on pools 4 and 5 and have found some very nice size in recent years.

Juggs...Okay, here's the next question...do you fellas occassionally eat the fish you catch out of the Mississippi?

I've always been a little leary of eating anything that came out of the river from below the Coon Rapids dam on down.

I know that people do, I used to occassionally eat a walleye out of the lower Mississippi when I was younger and it didn't seem to cause any harm?

I still have all my parts and I don't have any extra parts that I'm aware of? I don't glow and my teeth are still fairly good. Everything works...of course, not as good as when I was a younger buck, but I don't think that is the fault of eating fish out of the lower Mississippi?

Anyways, that might be a fun trip to make, get a dukes mixtures of fish and catch the sights along the river. Not this year of course, maybe next?

Say, do they ice fish those perch with much luck, down there in the winter?

When I was a kid, my family ate gobs of fish from pool 9, which isn't quite as clear as pools 4 and 5. I still eat them, mostly in the winter as I do a lot of ice fishing on the river. I guess I don't see anyone throwing back the pannies. As far as the perch go, they really don't get targeted since there aren't great numbers of them like everything else. You might find a nice school from time to time. If you are specifically going after perch, I wouldn't pick the river as a destination. Now crappies and bluegills....that's another story.