• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's everyone's line of choice?

snoozebutton

What's your choice of line that you tie directly to your jigs? Power Pro? Fireline Crystal? Fluorocarbon?

I found some Spiderwire Ice at a baitshop near Grand Rapids, 5lb (1 lb diameter) that I put on one of my poles and it worked pretty good but it was some semi-stained water and it seemed to freeze to my rod guides a little. I switched poles to one with ceramic guides and will see if that helps.

What I'm looking for is the line with the most invisibility for clearer water lakes. I ordered some Fireline Crystal and the baitshop in town has Power Pro but the thinest I found was 8 lb.

So, what's your choice?

I use either Berkley Triline XL or Fireline. I bought some Fireline Crystal this year and I like it so far. I have been using 4 lb test of both. It seems like anything heavier and it loses a lot of feel with light tackle.

I've been an avid P-Line user, either Floroclear or Floroice, both are pretty-much the same. 2 or 3 pound for my pannies...

I've also played around with the new Berkley Fireline Crystal too. So far I've been impressed with the 1 or 2 pound version for deep water pannies...

this year i tried out cajun red ice, and i have been a little less than pleased. it has gotten the job done, but it seems to tangle a little more. prolly gonna pick up some fireline or the crystal.

Thanks for the replies and it looks like 3 votes for P-Line, 3 for Fireline, and one red cajun. Those of you that use the P-Line, do you spool up the entire reel with it or use it for leader?

I spooled up one reel with Fireline Crystal and I noticed Wally World had some P-Line. I might have to run to town this morning and pick up some for my other reel and give them both a test run.

Here's another vote for P-Line. I use 2lb on my panfish gear. Its very limp and I've had no problem with memory.

A lot of folks make the mistake of using line that is too heavy for their panfish sized jigs. This kills the action of the jig in the water and you also lose some of the feel as well.

I can't stress how important it is to have balanced gear. Your jig, line, rod, and reel have to work together.

If you read some of my posts you'll see that I am an avid Berkley guy. One of the main reasons for this is that if I ever have a problem with the line I call customer service and they make sure I get some line that I like! No worries this way. That being said, my "go to" line is Micro Ice but recently Fireline Crystal has been getting more attention. This stuff has been great for me. I like the sensitivity and hook setting power this line offers.

Some other lines I have tried have been Cajun red line (very stretchy and likes to boing off the spool frown.gif ).

P-line I tried last year and had a lot of difficulty getting knots to cinch up without breaking. It worked ok for me but I would still rather have Micro Ice.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

Looks like P-Line is winning 6 to 3 now. grin.gif

Went to town (Hayward) and they don't have the P-Line there so I ordered some from Thorne Bros. One nice thing about ordering from TB is there shipping is super fast, I should have it by tomorrow.

Micro-ice for me on all 6 of my ice rods. Never a problem so I don't try anything else. Like they say "If it ain't broke don't fix it" cool.gif

I also mark on my reels what pound test I have on each. With masking tape.

You guys have me interested in the P-line. I looked in my 2007 Cabela's Master Fishing catalog and there are six varieties of this line. Which do you prefer for a)panfish and b)walleye under general Northern MN/Canadian lake situations? Also, no 3# line is listed in Cabela's; where do you find it?