• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
CrappieAttitude

FIsh house or Warming House

This weekend, I will be having my brother and his kids up to do a little tip-up fishing and panfishing. I have a permanant house that i haven't licensed yet or put out yet this year due to the varied ice conditions. My question is this, If I pulled it to a nearby lake and set it out for the time we are out there fishing and didn't drill any holes in it, could I legally have it out there without a license. We would only be using it for a warming house (for a lack of better words) It won't be sitting over night and we won't be fishing out of it. Any thoughts?

CA

My guess is you would still need a license. And why not just purchase one? At $12.50 its not much to pay to insure your not going to get ticketed from the DNR

I dont know if you woul dneed the license or not.. thats one of those *gray* areas.

I know you need alicense for anything that blocks the wind.. even a sled with canvas up to keep the wind off your back. Now if that is considered a shelter if your not fishing from that sled? I dont know.

To me, it seems you shouldnt have to have a license on the house for watching tip ups, but at the same time.. they could say its assisting you in angling.

I think your better off paying the $12.50 for a day of heat.

I would think you would still have to have the shelter tag, but I could be wrong. If you plan on using later for fishing when the ice is better, you might as well license it now.

i would ask the dnr i think you do not have to have one if there is no holes drilled inside the house. you dont need one for a truck

I am pretty sure that you will not need a tag unless you are leaving it on the Ice overnight unattended. Then you are required to have a darkhouse shelter tag. But if you are going to take it off at the end of the day, no you don't need one. smirk.gif

Fact:

If you have a sheter on the ice and you are fishing (regardless of if you are in the house or not), you NEED to have it licensed.

If you were ice skating or something else, you do not need a license.

There was a thread like this a year ago. I'll see if I can find it.

you need a shelter license when tip-uping from your vehicle so I say you would definatly need a shelter tag....

The way I read the law is you need to have your identification numbers on the house but need no license. If you use the house for fishing you need to license it. This is what I do when I set a portable outside of my wheelhouse for a bathroom - I just don't cut any holes

Did I read you right, Oz, that I need to have a shelter license if I am sitting in my truck watching tip-ups? Wow, never heard that one before! crazy.gif Guess I have been pretty lucky never getting checked in the past. I'm going to do some more research on this one.

that is what i have been told in the past. I guess I never checked the regs but I know if it has 2 or more sides you need a shelter tag.....maybe not but for 12.5 i think i will have one instead of the hefty fine!

Agreed, $12 is cheaper than a fine and its not worth risking it. (Of course I am a non-resident, but I could just use the license I already have for my house.) Still, gotta check this out if for no other reason than just curiosity. Thanks.

YOU REALLY SHOULD CHECK THAT OUT BECAUSE EITHER THE DNR OFFICERS DON'T INFORCE IT MUCH OR YOU WERE MISINFORMED BECAUSE I HAVE TALKED TO A DNR OFFICER BACK IN THE DAY WHEN I FIRST STARTED ICE FISHING I ALWAYS FISHED FROM MY CAR AND HAD A TIP UP OUT AND HE DIDN'T SAY ONE THING ABOUT IT.

He's not kidding. If you're fishing, and using something as a shelter (Car, fish house, paper sack), by law, it needs a license posted on it.

Back in the day portable shelters didn't need a license, now they do.

Is it picky picky??? You betcha. Still, 12 1/2 bucks is cheaper than the fine.

Thanks for the responses guys. I wasn't trying to avoid the license fees. Lord knows I have a wallet full of licenses for different things. I just thought it would make for some interesting discussion. I am fully intending to get a license for it, but just thought I would check out what everyones feelings were.

I have seen many people sitting in vehicles watching tip-ups and can't recall any of them with any license or identification posted outside...Interesting... I guess i really wasn't looking that closely either.

Thanks Again,

CA

99.9% sure you wouldnt have to have a licence. I worked with a game warden for a couple days 2 years ago and as long as you dont have holes drilled in it you can have it unlicensed. We watched a house that had been out for 3 days that didnt have a lic, and it turned out a family was using it for a warming house ice skating so he did not issue a ticket.

2 of us were sitting in our vehicles on WBL, they checked for our fishing licenses and counted our tip ups, but never said a word about sitting in an unlicensed shelter. Now I don't know what would have happened if we were jigging in a hole with the door open.

Quote:

The way I read the law is you need to have your identification numbers on the house but need no license. If you use the house for fishing you need to license it. This is what I do when I set a portable outside of my wheelhouse for a bathroom - I just don't cut any holes

Correct.

If you had a license last year it is still good until the end of February I think. Just a thought. Good luck.

Quote:

He's not kidding. If you're fishing, and using something as a shelter (Car, fish house, paper sack), by law, it needs a license posted on it.