• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

April 20th, 2007 - Sturgeon Excursion

Got our cabin reserved! cool.gif I'll have to call them back sometime though. I'm a little confused on the rates being that we're one person short of filling a 4-person cabin.

Well, at any rate, we got a cabin and I can't wait for the event! grin.gif And, if ANYONE needs a place to stay, we got room for 1 more!

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Rick.........woooooooohooooooooo I cant wait.. I will be in with ya... I only have one stipulation... I have some one wanting to buy my RP... maybe this week... After talking to RP I am not sure I will be able to get into a new boat by then or at all?????????? I am making plans on going so far.. boat or no boat. I will call ya.

Bass Catcher This is just a hope but maybe we can hook up, Gotta do some checking things out but it would be a blast I think. We were up couple years ago and were fishing for walleyes by the dam and caught 4 sturgeon. Id love to see how we could do if we went for them. Maybe we can get this hooked up.

Quote:

Barnyard-

and I even know a couple places a lot closer to home too!
wink.gif

I know of a couple of places, but have never fished them. Brianna (and I) would love it if we could get together and fish a bit closer to home. Heck, I would even trade a trip and show you everything I know about the river around St Cloud or a muskie trip (I could supply all the stuff.)

The excursion worked well last year, because it was before the motorcycle season (we start racing in late April).

It's getting harder and harder to fit in all the fun summer things there are to do.

Tom B

Basscatcher, If you still have room for one more it would be a dream come true. My email is [email protected] I live southern minnesota so try to hook up with you on thursday early morning or meet you up there. Man the old fishing blood is boiling now. Hope all can work out. Thanks in advance for everything.

Quote:

I know of a couple of places, but have never fished them. Brianna (and I) would love it if we could get together and fish a bit closer to home. Heck, I would even trade a trip and show you everything I know about the river around St Cloud or a muskie trip (I could supply all the stuff.)

Thats a deal! smile.gif

I don't want to speak for Schuster's, but if it is like last year's event, you do not have to fill a cabin. We were in a 2 bedroom cabin, that could easily have slept 5 people. We had 3, so it was $60 a night. There was no dock fee and the cabins were clean and comfortable.

I don't mean to rant, but I am kind of surprised that there were not any other young people there. It's a relatively cheap trip, the fishing is catch and release, so if a fish breaks off, who cares, you were going to release it anyways.

Last year, Brianna (13 at the time), had largest and most fish in our boat. She posted photos and told the story on her Myspace page and wrote at least one paper about it. She has a photo of her with her big fish in her locker at school. That trip has been the highlight of her fishing career.

It seems to me that this is the PERFECT trip to introduce a kid to a weekend fishing trip.

So, for those of you leaving kids at home that weekend, maybe give it another thought.

Tom B

As for the cabin rate, I was told a little differently if we didn't fill the cabin. But, it looks like we're going to be full now with wall-eye-assassin potentially coming on board!

Getting the kids up there I think is a great idea too. I'm definitely going to get my kids up there some year too, but right now, those fish could pull my kids into the lake instead of the other way around. smirk.gif

Btw...wall eye assassin....I'll send ya an e-mail tonight.

Quote:

I'm definitely going to get my kids up there some year too, but right now, those fish could pull my kids into the lake instead of the other way around.
smirk.gif

Those fish could pull me into the lake too! wink.gif

Quote:

I don't want to speak for Schuster's, but if it is like last year's event, you do not have to fill a cabin. We were in a 2 bedroom cabin, that could easily have slept 5 people. We had 3, so it was $60 a night. There was no dock fee and the cabins were clean and comfortable.

I don't mean to rant, but I am kind of surprised that there were not any other young people there. It's a relatively cheap trip, the fishing is catch and release, so if a fish breaks off, who cares, you were going to release it anyways.

Last year, Brianna (13 at the time), had largest and most fish in our boat. She posted photos and told the story on her Myspace page and wrote at least one paper about it. She has a photo of her with her big fish in her locker at school. That trip has been the highlight of her fishing career.

It seems to me that this is the PERFECT trip to introduce a kid to a weekend fishing trip.

So, for those of you leaving kids at home that weekend, maybe give it another thought.

Tom B

I couldn't agree more. What a great deal for the youngins. The only downside I can see is that they may get a bit spoiled reeling in all those large fish. smile.gif

I mean you could literally hand the pole off, tell them to push the button, or open the bail (no casting required) let the line out till it stops. Turn the handle a few times and now hang on!

Quote:

The only downside I can see is that they may get a bit spoiled reeling in all those large fish.
smile.gif

You don't know how true you are. Brianna refuses to fish for sunnies, rarely for walleyes and refers to 15 lb carp as "cookie cutters."

It is a treat though to watch her back reel and lead fish right into a net, including her giving the netter directions on when and where to scoop.

It was also fun having her in the boat. We were making sandwiches in the boat during last year's trip and she had 1 piece of bread left. "Throw it in the river, the gulls will get it." I said.

She replies, "but there aren't any gulls around."

After alot of cajoling she finally threw the bread in the water. Within 5 seconds, there were 2 gulls try to figure if they could get the bread without gettng to close to the boat. Another 5 seconds, there were 5 more and one finally dropped down and gulped it down.

We laughed about that for an hour.

We also had a pair of binoculars and she used them to watch the gulls, an eagle and what everyone else was catching.

Anyways, you get the idea that I think bringing a kid along is a good idea.....

Tom B

I'm there, but Itm taking Harvey Lees's corner of the boat. I have to redeem myself this year!

It is always a fun time when you can refer to a 39 incher as a dink! There is nothing more crushing than seeing both fishing partners bot a fish over 50 inches and I can't break the 40" mark.

mw

I watched a fishing program on tv today and they were sturgeon fishing. All I can say it it has really made me excited to go now. I think I have one guy talked into coming now I just have to work on the second guy. You catch just one of these fish and you are hooked.

I just made myself some reservations at Schuster's they were all out of smaller cabins. So I book a 7 person cabin I think I will have about 3 with me so there is room if anyone wants to bunk in with us let me know and we will fill the cabin up. 20 bucks a person per night you can't hardly pass that up man.