• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

April 20th, 2007 - Sturgeon Excursion

Sounds like I'm gonna get my rear off the rocks finally.....I'm probably gonna be fishing eyes on the bay Friday. Who knows one of those Sturgeonfishes just may take my dead Shiner? I usually break my jig off though once I know it's one of them as they got that distinctive tail wag style of pulling eh.

This nice warm weather we got coming in will for sure get the ice upriver doing something. Matter of days now before folks are skiddin boats accross the shore ice at Birchdale.

fiskyknut

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Although Bass are very important in a young anglers lifelong progression. Kids start with Sunnies and graduate to Bass, then most kids when they reach their early teens realize there is nothing to catching a Bass and they again graduate to other species of fish to pursue broadening their skill sets and learning to tone down their yeehaw son Billy Bob hooksets.

Now that is funny!

By the way Fisky I seen two pickups with duck boats and 9.9s heading up, must be getting stir crazy or pacing back and forth at Birchdale.

They're probably rolling way east to fish up near the Falls somewheres maybe? The brave could find a spot to skid a small boat over the ice somewhere up from Loman probably. Maybe they're really strong and are gonna lug those boats down and and then back up the hill and fish at the Manitou rapids maybe, should be plenty of open wayter there.

Gail from ClementsonAccessOnRainyRiver resort has some fresh pics up on her HSOforum, think she said it was open down the middle almost to mile marker 174 so it has a little ways to go yet to get to darn Birchdale.

Patience is a virtue but I do so want to jig jig jig from a boat soon. On the Rainy River forum I had guessed the 24th for skiddin at Birchdale and Sandee predicted with her all knowing crystal ball the 23rd so all haites will break out soon with this tropical weather moving our way!!!

Tick, tock,tick, tock!!!

fiskyknut

I never got into the drag a boat across the ice to freeze your butt off for some wally. I will wait for the Sturgeon and warm spring days...plus I'm ripping the boat all to heck re-rigging it and forget the duck boat...I wanna live.

I hear ya, heck I can go catch all the walleyes I want on the ice but that darn Rainy spring thing is a longtime tradition. So darn crowded the past 3-4 years compared to how it was 10 years back that now if you don't beat the masses and skid a small boat you're waiting at the ramp for a long while even mid-week.

Ah the change of seasons....From ice Walleyes to Pike, to Sturgeonfish, to openwater Walleyes, to late summer Red River Cats, to fall Walleye on the Rainy and back to the ice again. I love all the seasons of the year up here....Keeps me half-ways sane!!!

Quote:

BTW, It's Dietz who's the bass guy.....poor guy might grow up some day.

Naw I heard he just ordered some more Sizmic cosmo stardust wacky worms in bubblegum and june watermelon color he can rig on his sliding super popper lily pad jumping hawg seeker.

Them bass guys... confused.gif

4 WEEKS TO GO BABY!!!!

Woooo Hoooo!!!

Anybody have any questions about tackle, locations, techniques, bait, etc?

Now's the time to get the game plan and gear in order.

I just had to post this again... Dtro's 61" from last spring. It was the biggest fish that I'm aware of that was caught the Excursion weekend. Estimated weight on that beast has got to be 65-70lbs, maybe more.

Dtro%2061%20Sturgeon%2006.jpg

My plans to attend fell through, about a month ago one of my best freinds and brother in law announced he and his girlfriend are getting married in Vegas...so instead of wearing sturgeon slime on the Rainy, I'll be wearing a tux on the Strip...maybe next year. cool.gif

Hi Chris, You Definitely got my attention with that one. I am so pumped to fish these beasts for the very first time. My son and friend are too. We are staying with Marine man and Iffwalleye, and are really looking forward to meeting all of you guys. This trip should be a blast! Later...

Quote:

Location, lets see, I would say all your GPS cords would work just fine.
smile.gif

All???? I've got 1 ,hmmm...scratch that, 2.

Curt Q pulled right up on my waypoint the 2nd day up there. We drove circles around his boat looking at the GPS and he was right on the spot! So we anchored right next to him! smile.gif I don't think he minded, we took some good photos of his boat fighting fish.

Quote:

We are staying with Marine man and Iffwalleye, and are really looking forward to meeting all of you guys. This trip should be a blast! Later...

Oh boy! That sounds like a fun bunch. I can't wait to meet some new people and put some faces to names as well.

Stratosman-

Your signature just reminded me of some humor from last years excursion. We had boated a number of fish when this boat comes over and talks to us.

He says, "What you guys using for bait?"

We reply, "Crawlers"

"Us Too," he says, "On the bottom?"

We reply, "Yep"

"Well, we've been fishing all morning and haven't even gotten a bite," he replies.

And then the best part...

"This ain't freakin' NASA!" he says. "Hook, sinker, worm on the bottom and we can't get that to work."

I think they headed in after that. It was really funny but it gets really frustrating when things aren't working for you, especially when the presentation is about as simple as it gets.

Really looking forward to it. It is the most fun when

we all pile in to one area, get lots of nice close up

photos and videos that way.

Hanson, if I had known I pulled in to your secret spot

I would have moved a bit or at least thanked you for the

spot.

See you there!

Thanks for the info on Moore's bait. I might stop in there. I was at Walmart the other day -- does it make more sense to use spinning reels or casting reels? Really long ones?

I got some of the flat no-roll sinkers on hsolist, big old fat flat ones. So I need a rod/reel combo, hooks, and beer. I assume you just let it sit on the bottom until your rod starts bending?? Rod holder action or do you actually attempt to detect nibbles? I mean, with a big old 3+ ounce weight tied on, it can't be too easy to detect a bite before he's basically hooked himself.

Those pics with all the boats all huddled together -- is it basically just a big basin or is there actually structure out there that people are attempting to fish on or what?

Not sure who we're staying with, if anyone. My buddy from Fargo reserved the room -- here's a quote:

Quote:

"I didn't ask how big the cabin was. Maybe we are sharing with other guys or maybt not. I don't really care. We'll either be fishing, sleeping or at the bar the whole time"

Can't wait to get up there and get back on the open water and meet some fellow FMers. We can only hope that the weather on April 20 is as good as it's supposed to be this weekend. Altough I did just get some sweet buck tracker boots on clearance at bass pro shops, so if it's cold as heck I wouldn't mind trying them out smile.gif

Aanderud,

I've caught quite a few sturgeon on the St. Croix (although this will be my first trip up Nort). The majority of sturgeon bites I have seen are more like nibbles than rod-benders. You'll see your rod tip dancing around a bit. So, a rod with a soft tip is extremely helpful. I have had a few pull the rod tips into the water, but that doesn't happen too often.

Spinning gear or casting gear? I've used both--both work fine. It's a personal preference.

Quote:

Those pics with all the boats all huddled together -- is it basically just a big basin or is there actually structure out there that people are attempting to fish on or what?

No not really much structure to speak of. There are a few deeper spots, but for the most part everyone is fishing the channel the river current has created in the bay.

I'm sure there is some structure out there, but from what I've experienced the sturgeon will roam around in small pods and scavenge for some grub.