• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

April 20th, 2007 - Sturgeon Excursion

Quote:

Looks like this trip is getting spendy.
wink.gif

You are not kidding, last years trip ended up costing me 70k. This year I have a issue to take up with these fish. Just maybe, and I say maybe one boat will contain the entire Petrowske clan.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not Sure on the showing of the Wiskers this year.. No boat and it does not look good for a floater by the time of the gathering.. or at all this summer... frown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.giffrown.gif All I have now is a 14 foot Almuicraft with a 9.9 Merc.

OK, new to sturgeon fishing plus I've never been on this body of water. So here's a few questions.

Wondering what kind of gear I'll need. I got the "heavy action rod/reel", but what about lures? Oh yeah, and if someone with big gear experience can recommend a decent cheap rod/reel, please do. I don't fish muskies but might wet my toes on the catfish this summer if there's time. Does one simply throw some random dead stuff or night crawlers or something that stinks on a circle hook with a 2 ounce flat sinker? How big of a hook? I'm guessing big. Do ya just anchor and hold on? How much current in the river? I've never had my boat on a river. I have a 28 lb 'navy anchor'. Will that hold or is this mach 5 current? How deep is it, I want to have enough rope...hate to get up there and 'surprise, it's 90 feet deep here'.

How far is the sturgeon fishing from the resort? Does everyone basically just truck out to "the big sturgeon bowl" and anchor up or are the fish spread up/down the river in secret spots? As I said, I've never fished on a river so I wouldn't know what parts of it would attract fish. Hopefully for sturgeon you don't need to know what you're doing.

Are there navigation hazards like tree stumps and wing dams and whatnot in the river? I live basically right next to the MN river. Last year was my first summer here and I have to say that upstream of Chaska is NOT a good spot for many boats other than river pros, from what I've seen. Logs everywhere, and low water with sand dunes and who knows how deep between those, at least near Carver. I'm assuming the rainy is bigger and more navigable???

Is there a marina at the resort? Is a boat slip included with the room? Do they have gas or do ya yank it out and pull down the road to super america?

OK that's all for now, I'm sure I'll have more Q's later. Thanks guys!

Fishing fom shore if you want. Boats from directly in front of resort to 3 miles to infinity! Circle hooks in 00 or 1-0 , flat sinkers 2-4 oz, 3oz fine. 50 lb power pro+

any heavy line actually. Anchor , bait with night crawler gob, wait for tug-tug, set hook and hang on. Great fight. It's as simple as that. You can try different baits if you want to experiment, but crawlers are as good as any.

Current is strong enough to expect to need 2 river anchors with min 60 ft ropes. average +- 20 ft. current depends on how high the river is at the time. river is predominantly clear of obstructions. Brent

Very good advice and ty for your knowledge. But 1/0 hooks is that what you meant. I was told 6/0, 8/0 or 10/0 hooks. I found the no roll sinkers on hsolist also and will bring plenty with me. I will be in basscatchers boat. This is gonna be a blast. See you all soon.

For hooks... I highly recommend 4/0-5/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle Hooks. Anything larger than that is overkill, big time overkill. Over the last couple years, I've done a fair amount of sturgeon fishing and have had great success with these hooks.

aanderud.....My 2 cents on hooks......Bring size 1 thru 2/0 regular old baitholder type hooks.

Most folks who come up all seem to head for the "bay hole", a mile or so out from the ramp. There are quite a few good Sturgeon spots upstream that hardly see a crawler drowning so don't think you have to fish the bay with everyone else.

Floating or stuck deadheads you have to watch for but not much else for hazards. Depending on how the iceout goes some years you got to watch out for large chunks of ice coming at you when your anchored. Not good to have one come down onto your anchor rode especially if it's the size of a house eh! Back in the mid 90's I was'nt paying attention and had one nearly sink the bow of the boat as it came onto the rope, had to cut the line or we would've gone down!!! This was in early May too, but ice out was late that year.

Plain and easy simple straight foreward bait fishing. Crawlers usually rule, and get yourself some Crawdad scent and soak some of your crawlers in that stuff, sometimes makes a difference.

fiskyknut

Quote:

For hooks... I highly recommend 4/0-5/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle Hooks. Anything larger than that is overkill, big time overkill. Over the last couple years, I've done a fair amount of sturgeon fishing and have had great success with these hooks.

I got them ordered from Cabela's. A couple packages of each. I'm set.

I am so glad Marine_Man got the deck cleared so he can make the trip with me and our other buddy. Hopefully trouble won't find the 3 of us grin.gif. It will be a great weekend hopefully the weather will be as nice as it was last year. It is going to be a long month.

Quote:

Thats because you are better then 90% of the anglers out there Hanson.
shocked.gifgrin.gifwink.gif

I thought it had something to do with our big mixing mugs and the short attention span they created. blush.gif Could be wrong though.

Well Tom if JonnyP and I take all them 25 to 40's I spose all the weeee ones will be a snappin at your woim!

Are'nt you a Bass guy? You bringing up rubber woims I reckon eh!!! I about choked when I saw the 1# Sunfish 3# Walleye comparison.

Ahhh the Sturgeonfish....True King of Minnesotas gamefishes!!! I may just catch one next week.....Accidentally while angling for those hard pulling Wally's, I catch BIG ones and they pull prettyy hard though!!!

Ooops sorry man musta mixed you up with someone else.

Certainly not a nice thing to call someone a Bass guy when he is'nt!

Although Bass are very important in a young anglers lifelong progression. Kids start with Sunnies and graduate to Bass, then most kids when they reach their early teens realize there is nothing to catching a Bass and they again graduate to other species of fish to pursue broadening their skill sets and learning to tone down their yeehaw son Billy Bob hooksets.

Again sorry for calling you a Bass guy Tom!

Me I like rivers, lakes, and all things fishy. grin.gif

fiskyknut