• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question about Amsoil

Luck e 1

Question

I am going to try it for the first time on my next tank of gas. There is a post in the sponsor forum about amsoil. Amsoil If you go there you should be able to find what you need. It has a lot of good info from people that are using it.

The biggest things I get from Amsoil is good cold starts, way less smell and smoke. If your using it in a new auger mix it 70 or 80 to 1 ist tank or 2 then go to the 100-1. I use the saber in all my mowers, augers, weed eaters and snowblower. I have been pleased with it.

Luck e 1,

My dad owns a small autoglass company in the Minneapolis Suburbs, and his work vans put on a lot of miles! The kind of miles that really wear on an engine, being stuck in rush hour nearly everyday. Starting in 2000, he switched his Chevy Astro's to Amsoil, and he is getting on average 260,000 miles out of a van. Previously he was averaging 210,000. He absolutely swears by the stuff, and has made me a believer. All of our 2-stroke stuff also is run on amsoil, and just seems to burn a lot cleaner. The instructions say to mix at 100:1 and I was kind of nervous doing that, but haven't had a problem in the past 6 years.

The only thing you want to watch out for is running it in a newer 2-stroke outboard, because it may void the warranty.

It may just be that it's a synthetic, and other synthetics may do just as good of a job, but we've haven't had the balls to switch after seeing how the Amsoil perfomed.

I was skeptical about runnning a 100:1 mix in my 10 year old Strikemaster auger, but I am very glad I made the switch! I was getting very frustrated by how it was running, how difficult it was to start and how terrible it idled. I am on my third tank of gas mixed 100:1 and the auger runs almost as good as it did when it was new! Easy to start when cold, smooth idle and no smoke. I won't ever go back.

Warranties cannot be voided because you used different oil. Companies would have to supply you with oil if that was the case. The whole use our oil or else deal is a big scare tactic. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects us from this. I found this at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/warranty.htm

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions

Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

Although tie-in sales provisions generally are not allowed, you can include such a provision in your warranty if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service. If you believe that this is the case, you should contact the warranty staff of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver of the tie-in sales prohibition.

So don't worry about using another good quality oil.

Please contact me direct and I will be glad to help with any specific questions. e-mail or phone (before 8:00 pm central). I have over 25 years experience as an AMSOIL Dealer/Jobber.

A few general reasons why AMSOIL is better.

First of all, AMSOIL was the first synthetic lubricant, with the first API/SAE warranty approved engine oil in 1972, the first synthetic 2-cycle lube in 1973. AMSOIL has always been the best. I have several test documents showing comparison data with competing products listed by brands.

AMSOIL builds lubricants by first designing the specification, then building the product. Pricing is addressed after the product is built. Most of the time AMSOIL will be higher priced, but lower cost - when you consider better economy, better performance, reduced wear, etc. All the competition may start with a spec, but modifies the product down to meet a target price sacrificing quality and performance.

Warranty: All warranties are paid according to failure annalysis. AMSOIL gives you a full lubricant warranty as long as the product is used withing AMSOIL's recommendations/guidelines. With the premix 2-cycle oil in a stock engine use it as lean as 100-1. Because many people are skeptical about using it that lean they start by using it richer, many at 80-1, some as rich as 50-1; then with their own experience and comfort then use it leaner.

For anyone who wants a copy of any of these documents please call or e-mail me direct (warranty, test documents, catalogs, etc). Many of them I can e-mail back to you as a pdf file attachment.

The question I have is not so much you have used another type of oil, rather you have chosen to mix it with a mixture that is not listed for that auger. If Jiffy requires that you use a 25:1 ratio let's say, can they deny repairing the motor under warranty if they learn you are mixing it at 100:1?

Thanks for the info guys.

I finally found a place near my house that carries it. But they do not carry the Saber line, which is the top line that guys were telling me about. The only stuff they carried was a 50:1 mix instead of 100:1 mix. Should I wait to fins the 100;1 or is the 50;1 as good?

My strikemaster 2000 was new last year. Would not start today in 10 degree weather. I did everything I could till both arms practically fell off. The second I got home it started on the first pull. My guess is water in the fuel froze then thawed in the car. I ordered amsoil today and going to try it. I am leary about going 100 to 1 after running 24 to 1 but anything to make this thing start better. I will post back with the results in a couple of weeks.

Luck e 1, I will STRONGLY second any fish, GO for the Sabre, You'll never go back to dinosauer oil. Amsoil is Awesome! In the fishhouse, you don't need to wait for the smoke to clear, the walls aren't all black and greasy from the oil. If you can't find it locally, get "theoilman", he's an FM sponsor, or go to Amsoils' HSOforum. Just do a Google for their site. Phred52

I too was a amsoil first timer last year. I switched to the "sabre" 100:1. for my new strikemaster lm-8 after using standard oil for 2 months and getting covered in smoke and oil. Runs great and starts a lot better. Was at Red this weekend started on 2nd pull in -15 below weather. I had 5 gas tanks in the garage, now have 1 for mixers. Weedwacker, blower, kittykat, auger, all run on it now. You can sometimes get the Sabre at napa otherwise go the amsoil HSOforum. Stick to the sabre instead of the 50-1.

I ordered it online using the FM link. I only ordered 5 mix pouches which will give me 5 gallons of gas. I am happy for the testimonials. I put the auger outside today and it took about 20 pulls but it finally caught. Must have gotten most of the water out of the gas. Go figure. With all the alcohal in gas I have not had to use heat in my car for like 10 years. I am suprised there would be water frozen in the gas with so much ethonal in it. I fish a one man portable so the smoke is not a big issue for me. Just want to be able to drill holes and move when I need to.

Quote:

If Jiffy requires that you use a 25:1 ratio let's say, can they deny repairing the motor under warranty if they learn you are mixing it at 100:1?

In order for Jiffy to legally deny warranty (although it does not stop them from insinuating such), the burden of proof is on them to show that the oil/mix caused the failure. Of course, were this ever to occur, Amsoil will come to bat for you assuming you were using the product in accordance with their guidelines and no other defect caused the problem.

I don't intend to single-out Jiffy, they are merely the example at hand.

All this is covered in the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act....

The oil just came in today. Pretty cool with the UPS notification to my email. I dumped the old gas out and put the new stuff in and after about 5 minutes of cranking it finally started. You could just hear the old gas leave and the new gas enter. No hesitations when I goose the throttle. Let it sit in my garage for about an hour and did a restart with no choke or anything and it idled non stop after one pull. Something it has never done before. Now I just need to test with cold weather which should happen tonight. I am ready for saturday. Going to Wisconsin to try for some perch and walleye. Will be nice to not have to worry about my auger.

I have been a Amsoil dealer for near 20 years

Just a note, they make a a two cycle oil that is designed to run at a 100/1..It says 100/1 mix on the container. I wouldn't suggest running just any of their two cycle oils at a 100/1

Myself, I NEVER run it 100/1. I always run it at 50/1

I have been a small engine Mechanic for over 25 years and own my own shop. I have been a factory train Mech for Stihl, Husky, Jonsred along with others. My shop does snowmobilies as well.

I have seen engine falure on many chainsaws that have been run with the 100/1 mix during hot weather. If you read the bottle, it say, a richer mix may be desired for some higher peformance engines. Air cooled engines running from 10,000-15,000RPM's would be considerd "high performance" in my book

Trust me, all engines will run on the 50/1 mix and if your so cheap, your worried about the extra cost of the oil. Just wait untill you get your repair bill for the rebuild

Play it safe, use 50/1 mix

Amsoil is a great product

The pre mixed packs are 1.5 oz which means it actually mixes a gallon of gas at 85 to 1. To mix 50 to one there is 128 oz per gallon so you would need about 2.5 oz per gallon of gas. I used my auger today with the amsoil and there was a night and day difference. Fired up right away and idled without goosing the throttle. I also noticed that gas consumption was a lot higher with the amsoil then with the tecumseh oil. I only drilled a dozen holes and went through over half a tank of gas. Normally that would have hardly dented the tank with the old oil.

If I am thinking correctly, you are running a richer mixture if you use less oil in your gas. Could it be that you are washing the oil away from your cylinder walls if you use a 50:1 or 100:1 mixture rather than 25:1? If your carburator is adjusted correctly for the 25:1 mixture (and presumeably jetted correctly), I would think you would have higher gas consumption and more smoke out of your muffler.

There is a lot less smoke now then before. My thinking was that with the 24 to 1 the mixture was a lot thicker which would follow your thinking. With the strikemaster oil the motor always bogged down like it was too rich. A test for setting carbs is to goose the throttle. If it dies it is too lean if it bogs then goes it is too rich if it takes off without hesitation it is right. I may be wrong about the fuel consumption but everything else about this oil is awsome. For almost a year now since I bought this strikemaster I have had nothing but problems starting it then it took forever to warm up before I could drill.