• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rack mounts

Scoot

Not sure of the correct name for it, but I'm looking for a rack mounting kit- the wood plaque and velvet to go over the skull. The problem is that I'm looking for 8-10 of them, so I want to spend as little as possible. Is there somewhere I can buy them for very cheap?

One solution would be to make the wood myself. I know nothing about doing this- any tips, suggestions (type of wood that looks best/is most affordable), templates, etc. would be appreciated. Can I buy the velvet cover seperately? Anything else I might need? Any info appreciated.

I know you can buy the velvet separately at a fabric store.

If you mount them without a kit you'll probably want to use some plaster paris around the antler base to shape it. It's cheap, easy to mix, just use water, & it doesn't take very much.

When I've done them I've always drilled holes, put bolts through, & countersunk the nuts into the back of the board. I'm sure you could use screws going board to skull or skull to board. To me getting the board the way you want it is the hardest part. You can buy some lumber, oak would be the nicest or maybe mahogany, I guess whatever you like. You could just cut them off once you draw a pattern & then cut them out with a jig saw, table model or portable. If you have access to a router to make a decorative edge, that spruces them up considerably. You could either free hand a pattern or trace it off a friend's mount that you like the plaque of.

I think the kits are on sale for about $10 at FF this week. Those will take you less than half the time I'd guess. You could always do one that way to get ideas & a feel for how to do the rest.

Scoot

When I use to mount critters and fish here is what I did to many. The plaques I would buy in quantity for approx 4-5 dollars each.

I would cut a small block of wood and then attached it to the antler base in back. Then I would take paper mache and shape around the antler base to the shape I wanted. Next step was to attached the fabric to the antlers. When that was done I would screw the wood plaqur to the wood on the back of the antlers.

Many types of fabric can be purchased at a fabric store like Jo-ann fabrics. The rest of the products I used were bought from a taxidermy supply house.

One tip is when you mix your paper mache make sure not to get it to runny and you can mold to whatever shape you would like and it will hold fairly good until dry.

Can also use that spray foam in the can to mold around the bone between the antlers.. I have used this before, from a tip I read in a magazine years ago... Worked slick...

After molding this around the bone and to the piece of wood you secured to the back of the bone, wrap this in velvet and staple... Then secure it to the plaque (from the back) through your predrilled holes with wood screws.

Scoot - my parent's neighbor makes some stellar plaques out of oak. They are shield shaped more or less with trimmed edges and slotted screw holes in back. I can find out what he wants for one cuz I'm gonna get a big one for my elk rack. If interested let me know, later.

Cooter- yes I'm interested. Please get a price for me. I'd be interested in getting 10-12 of them.

Del- thanks, I'll check that out.

Dag- how'd you do that? That does look very sharp! Where'd you get the leather? How'd you get it so tight? I think I'd consider some leather, some velvet, some other material just for a little variety.

Hey Dag

Where do you get the leather? I have been trying to find some and haven't had any luck.

We are going to do our own - Did you make the plaque or buy it?

How did you mount it to the plaque - I assume from behind, but how?

That mount looks great -

TY

I order the plaque (either oak or walnut, and the antler mount forms from walnut creek hardwood inc, very inexpensive to make an antler mount that looks very nice. I screw the antlers to the form, paper mache it to make the skull of the deer even with the form (very important to let this mache completely dry before stretching leather over), then start stapling the leather from top, then each side, and stapling off wrinkles that will be forming as you go. The toughest part is cutting the slot for each antler base and pulling that area tight to the base of the antler. Kinda hard at first, but looks way better in my opinion than using braid to cover up big gaps between material and antler.

I order the leather from van dykes.

Good luck, any questions just shoot 'em my way!

Quote:

Scoot

I would cut a small block of wood and then attached it to the antler base in back. Then I would take paper mache and shape around the antler base to the shape I wanted. Next step was to attached the fabric to the antlers. When that was done I would screw the wood plaqur to the wood on the back of the antlers.

I do my racks like harveylee, only I used plaster paris to 'round off' the skull cap that has been attached to a approx 3 inch round chunk of wood. Cover that with leather or material, attach to the plaque, and you're done. I also like to put the date harvested on the plaque.