• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Show your Ice rigged ATV's!

Gus

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

looks like sanford and son going fishing
grin.gifgrin.gif

i sure wish i had those tracks on my wheeler. do you have to use an enclosed trailer, or do you put everything back into your truck

No that was my old 70 Chev step side.

That day I tossed everything on the wheeler, my sled preaty much was empty. I drive a burban, so your not going to fit any wheeler (man sized at least) in back. So I drive it up onto a trailer and I'm good to go.

Quote:

Quote:

Im curious, what the gallon of RV antifreeze on the seat is for? hopefuly not keeping holes open....

I use it so my hand held Marcum flasher can get a good read through the ice. A few drops and its good to go. When your in mixed company its especialy handy to have wink.gif

Water is just as useful.... and not harmful to the environment.

Quote:

Quote:

Im curious, what the gallon of RV antifreeze on the seat is for? hopefuly not keeping holes open....

I use it so my hand held Marcum flasher can get a good read through the ice. A few drops and its good to go. When your in mixed company its especialy handy to have wink.gif

A little salt water with you would be a better option. I personally haven't used a hand held before, but if it is anything like shooting my vexilar through the ice you should still be able to get the reading you need. An added bonus to the salt water solution it is on those "nippy" days, you don't have to worry about it sticking to the ice.

CA

Ok folks, I'm at a loss about the uproar regarding the RV anti freeze. What am I missing here? This is the stuff you put in your water pipes, both potable water and non-potable so your camper/rv doesn't freeze. I have been doing this for years. I also use the stuff to pickle inboard boat motors for winter. Heck it is listed as a common additive in cosmetics, medical products, coffee, soft drinks and pet foods.

Stats of a MSDS both types; -50 and -100

Freezing point of -50F or -100F depending upon the Jug. Your not even going to get close to that with salt water which is 15F. As for using a jug of water, give me a break.

LD50 is 20k-30k mg/KG I weigh 220# so I would have to drink 200k -300k mg of this stuff before I would have a 50% chance of dieing. NFPA lists the stuff as a 0 health risk.

Is practicly non-toxic to aquatic organisms

LC50 for fathead minnows is 4.6k - 54.9k mg/L

LC50 for Rain Bow Trout is 44k mg/L

I may use 1 TBS to get a a good meld on the ice.

Input confused.gif

As for the r.v antifrezze ,I have been using That for years with my depthfinders, What do you think they use to winterize all your Inboard outboards , Almost any dealership uses this stuff to winterize your 4,6,or eight cylinder engine, It safe, read the bottle, Think of this way, look how much oil and gas get put in lake by old fuel dripping outboards, spilt gas out of tipped over augers. Enough said. blush.gif

My personal thoughts: If I every see anybody using a chemical like rv antifreeze on the ice I will write down there information and forward to local DNR/Law Enforcment with photographs. You can explain it to them and they will make the decision.

Any way you go about it it is something you have control over to not pollute our waters.

tongue.gifEverything is bad......nothing is good. Lets get back to the stone-age. Lets all start walking everywhere(driving bad) and quit putting lures into the lake(lead bad) I'm sure all the fish line that ends up in the lakes are not good for it as well. Hmmm, I wonder if beer is bad for the lakes? cause I bet a fair amount ends up in it. And quit peeing in the lake yuck! Sorry I blew up! tongue.gif

Firemedic, do not worry about the RV antifeeze. Some people have nothing better to do than complain about others because they do no wrong themselves. A simple investigation surrounding the "bad chemicals" in anitfreeze by looking at the MSDS and by consulting the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR, a govt agency for the Dept of Health and Human Services) show how harmless your practice is. For example, from the ATSDR:

"What happens to ethylene glycol and propylene glycol when they enter the environment? - About half of the compounds that enter the air will break down in 24-50 hours. Both compounds break down within several days to a week in water and soil. "

I have no problem with your antifreeze use and will not be contacting the DNR/law enforcement with pictures if I see you doing it. I am sure they have better things to do with their time and so do I. But this is just one man's opinion. Others can express their thoughts as the feel necassary.

Here is a way to solve the rv antifreeze problem. I use a handheld propane torch. It's the kind plumbers use. Just pull the trigger, melt the ice, get a reading. I melt enough ice to form a small puddle. I showed a couple of friends and they had doubts but when they seen it in action they went out and bought one. Starts your heater to.