• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shopping for ATV

dustin85

I am thinking about buying a 4 wheeler this year for moving the fish house (heavy 8x12) and moving snow. I am looking for suggestions on what models are best/worst, things to look for, etc. This would be my first ATV. Used, or new, it doesn't really matter. Thanks in advance for any info!

Dustin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your primary reason for an atv is to move snow and pull a heavy fish house,look for one that is heavy, has low range and 4x4, and 400cc engine or bigger. All the atv manufactures that have been around for a while make good units that will fill your needs. If you are buying new look for a good dealer( Good price to buy, good service, supports the sport.). Ride it and work it hard while it is under warranty, and learn to fix it yourself after the warranty expires. If you do some trail riding please learn good trail ettiquette and respect for the enviroment.

If all you are looking to do is use the machine for working, i would suggest going witht the Honda Rubicon, Its just an absolutely work horse, no stopping it and it is a honda so you wont have any problems with belts or chains falling off or getting wet, and it wont be in the shop. I have three hondas and not one has every been in the shop. Just my opinion but there are alot of them out there.

i have a 04 kodiak 450 i have had it everywhere and in every environment, it has NEVER let me down. Plenty of power, good suspension, good controls...dont let them honda guys sway your opinion, if the belt get wet, which it takes a lot for it too get wet..mine has only got wet one time and i ride the creeks and small rivers all the time i just pulled the drain plug let it drain out, started it back up and putted around for 10 minutes then i was good to go. If they ask you about your belt drive just ask them about their 10 quarts of oil they have to put in every oil change for that transmission. All my buddies have rubicons, they didnt impress me i feel they are too soft and slow..but everyone has their opinions,,ford vs. chevy it will never end. I am not trying to start anything just defending the belt drives,,,hey look at it this way you are always in the right gear with a belt drive.

oh yeah, always buy new if you are going to buy a utility atv...the used ones still cost a lot and have no warranty and you never know what has happened to it in the past...i have seen many utilities for sale in the shops that have a history of being beat and you would never know just looking at them.

I have an 06 Sportsman 500 EFI, it has only about 300 miles on it, so far know problems, it is a great riding machine, handles well in the mud/slop with the stock pxt tires.

I am currently shopping for a second atv for the girlfriend and have looked at a couple used but the no warranty makes me nervous. If we don't buy used we will probably buy another new 06 Polaris, just can't decide if it will be a 500/700/800. The only known is that it will be mossy oak/camo. My family has been riding polaris for 10 years with minimal problems.

Don't get wrapped up in the mines bigger/better than yours garbage, ride them all and buy what YOU like.

will be looking for a new one myself in a year or so. Have a 400 Kawasaki right now, looking at something in the 400 - 500 class. Like the Kodiak 450 with the diff lock feature. Most of them in this range should do you well. Would stay away from the 600-800 machines, if you bury one of them there no way a person by his self can move it without a winch, simply too heavy. But if you just use it for ice fishing and snow removal, that should not be a problem. I like to hit the off road trails, see too many people with a big machine sit there because they could not lift and move it.

For pulling i would go with Honda...the rubicon is a 500 so plenty of power but doesnt have the ride the Rincon has with independent rear suspension....but the Rubicon with the swing arm suspension is better suited for heavy hauling. The price difference between the 2 left me buying the rincon...500 bucks more for the big dog. My friend on his Arctic Cat had belt issues last Ice season with all the water on the lakes...the direct drive on Honda had no problems what so ever.

In my opinion sportsman's don't have the necessary torque to be a good work horse. That is why I have a honda foreman. I love my Honda. My dad's sportsman is nice for riding but it just doesn't have the same pulling power in my opinion. I know many that like their sportsman's but I don't like them as well. The sportsmans are faster no question and are a better ride. But for me there is more to it than speed and ride. My foreman will do 48 MPH and that is plenty fast for me.

So far,..06 Sportsman 500 w/plow + winch + 6 mo warr. including tax and lic= 7623.38

06 arctic cat 500 auto w/plow + winch +2 yr warr. including tax + lic = 7184.03 I have not driven either. Cat has more clearance, polaris has about 200lb more towing capacity. Still waiting on complete quote from Honda rough estimate at about 7700 before tax + lic. Any opinions on comparing the 2?

Make sure you check a few dealers as prices will vary to earn business. I live in St.Cloud and went to the polaris dealership in Hastings (61 marine and sports) as they had the best prices. They sell Polaris, Arctic Cat and Yamaha ATV's. They also gave me a good price on my extended warranty.

You should find better prices than that! In my Outdoor News they have 06 polaris 500's for $5199 at Mies Outland by St. Cloud? Also about the towing, that is just what their rated to pull, all the machines will pull more than what you would expect them to, as long as they have a low range.Call around, because you are shopping at the best time and can get the year end clearance on alot of different brands, also with alot of winch deals!