• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How often do you practice - and more?

This will be my second year bowhunting. Like last Summer, I've been getting out about 4-5 times a week to shoot. Usually, I go through several dozen shots at 20 yards, about a dozen at 15 yards, and about a half dozen or so at 25-30 yards. This has seemed to be adequate in terms of grouping well on my target and hitting the middle of the 3d's vitals consistently. I shoot more in one session if I can and am enjoying myself. How often do you practice? What do you feel gets you into the swing of things and ready for an ethical shot come the season? Just interested in everyone's response.

Also, I recently started practicing with broadheads (Muzzys) exclusively and took all of my pins off my sight but one and sighted it in perfectly at 20 yards. My average shot will be well within this range when hunting. When I move inside of 15 yards, I find I have to aim ever so slightly downward to hit the middle of a 2 inch by 2 inch tape square on my target. Yet when I move back to 25 yards I find I have to compensate signifigantly more - aiming well above the square - to hit the same spot. Seems like I'd getting quite a bit of drop off at 25 yards versus 20 yards. My Parker claims a 286 fps rate of speed. Is this drop off unusual or should I work on some tuning? I'm considering just putting a pin back on and sighting it in at 25 yards in case a shot at that range arises...

For me i have been practicing almost everday after work, i am shooting alot right now getting ready for the bear opener. i try to only shoot about 20-30 minutes though not to wear myself out in this recent heat and possibly injuring myself. Good luck!

I usually pratice a few times a week a month before the deer season.Is this enough?probably not but if I dont take any risky shots this works for me.I really should pratice more but never take the time like I use to years ago when I would pratice alot.One thing a guy sometimes forgets is to continue to pratice even during the hunting season.This is when I usually shoot alot.

As far a pins on your sight,that is something you have to figure out what you are comfortable with.I shoot one pin which is good from approx 20-28 yards.I do not like having two pins in my sight.All of my shots are usually from 15-25 yards and I am very comfortable shooting one pin.I also usually shoot 62 pounds so my drop is not that much with the set up I use.

I start out shooting very few arrows and it is tough. I want to shoot more but I want an injury even less. Don't laugh a "younger" tough guy friend of mine strained hiss elbow and missed over half of bow season.

DON'T be STUPID -- take it slow.

I am also working in my new switchback and I am ggrouping well, but I force myself to stop. You must BUILD up endurance, my young grasshopper.

I shoot almost everynight, but only about 15-20 arrows and then build from there each week adding a half a dozen or so. I love shooting so it is hard to stop, but it is betting than missing half the season. crazy.gif

You are so correct.When starting out shooting after a long lay off,its good to shoot a few and build those un used muscles.You will also group your arrows better with more steady shots.Time spent now should result in a clean kill this fall. smile.gif

Ditto on the heat. I cut my practices short as fatigue can often start messing with you when you're trying to shoot. No sense in being tired and not shooting well and worse yet, hurting yourself.

I shoot a lot now after I've warmed up but reduce the number of times each week as the season approaches and probably no more than 2 times a week during the season, when I feel I am pretty well dialed in. I like to keep most of my shots close and feel pretty confident at that point. But its important not to get rusty and to make sure something isnt off on your bow.

Harvey, as for the poundage, I am set at 67, theoretically, I would think that means I should have even less drop off. Am I correct?

Practice never hurts, I start out shooting a series of six arrows, In June, I only shoot a dozen times. By July, I shoot two dozen. All of these are usually fixed at 20 yards. By the end of July and August, I usually send a dozen at 20 and then another dozen at 25 yards. The heat hasn't really bothered me that much. Mainly I'm looking for a rhythm, focusing on anchor point and maintaining eye contact with the target. I'm also really getting used to shooting with both eyes open. This helps me stay focused on the target and not the sight, which my eye picks up anyway. That is truly helpful in low light conditions. I always had problems with the target disappearing when I used to shoot with one eye closed, now it is becoming very natural for me to shoot with full vision. I also try and shoot everyday. The only days during the season where I don't practice are the days when I'm hunting. Its just my method, you have to find your own. Until I moved to the country it was hard for me to shoot everyday in town. I always had to drive to a range. Now I just walk out my door and shoot, so its much more convenient for me. Good luck, stay sharp, and don't be afraid to dial your bow in good, just like dialing a scope in.

I shoot about 5 times a week from spring on and just a dozen arrows. No marathon sessions. I used to shoot alot more - indoor and 3D leagues...

Chucker - Those bow speed rating are usually based on a bow set at 70lbs with a 30 inch draw and shooting a light 350 grain arrow. That couple inch drop your seeing is normal even at faster speeds. Lots of variables involved in speedsuch as arrow weight, accesories on the bow and string, cam style, brace height, and poundage...

I shoot only one pin also. I like it for simplicity and just sight it in dead nuts at 15 yards and compensait from there. I shoot 99 % of my deer at 8-15 yards anyways.

I agree with all of these guys, they are right on. The thing is you must be careful and not pull any muscles or anything that will cause you to be on the DL.

First time archers really need to be careful.

DarkCloud. I like the simple philosophy. I don't plan on taking a deer beyond 25 yards in the woods I hunt. Too thick to do so anyway. And last year both deer I took were well within 20 yards so why mess with additional pins for longer ranges when I can just aim up a little. Thanks for all of the input guys.

I also use only one pin! No use trying to confuse yourself with multiple pins when your trying to get a clear shot thru brush, and branches. I also only shoot a dozen arrows at a time while practicing and concentrate on being consistant whith every shot. And try to put the pressure on when you are practicing that you are shooting a giant monster buck. I also only shoot two arrows in a row so you can anylize your shooting in between arrow retrieval.

It also helps in getting less fatiuged so you can shoot like it is the first shot you are taking at a deer.

Hope this help! shocked.gif

Good point Finalander. I read an article on better shooting once where the guy encouraged you not to shoot so many shots in a row but - if you have the time - shoot once, wait for about 5 minutes, shoot again, and then keep repeating. The goal is to make it less like target practice and more like hunting where you have to take one shot and make it count.

I practice 6-7 times per week, mainly because I can open my front door and start shooting. I probably shoot 30-40 shots per session, and get fairly tired by the end, but I just love shooting a bow and have to force myself to stop. I am going elk hunting this year so am trying to get proficient out to 50 yards.

I used to only practice out to 25 yards because that was and still is about my limit on shot distance for whitetails. When your in the woods there are too many branches that can result in a deflected arrow and a wounded deer when you get out past 30.

A little advice for all of you, I used to practice only to the distance I planned on shooting, but since I started shooting at 40-50 yards this year, the 15-25 yards shots have become absolute pieces of cake. Even if you dont plan on shooting at 40 yards, practice at that range and test yourself because it makes anything closer that much easier. It really does work

My old sight had three pins on it and the guy from Skeels talked me into a five pin deal. Should I take those extra pins off?

I think they may just confuse me in the heat of battle, but they are fun to practice at that range.

there is no reason to take those other pins off. practice at what they are set for. there should be no reason to get confused with the other pins on the bow. i have three on mine. first is bout 20yds then 30 then 40. never use the bottom 2 while hunting, but for targets and ohter critters its nice to have them on there. also i practice as much as possible, shooting whatever i feel like, i dont get fatigued becasue i only put the bow down after december and pick it up as soon as its spring out. guess i never thought of hurting yourself by shooting to much, but i guess i am only 22.

Lee --

A young buck eh? Yeah, I was pretty much bullet proof back then too. I guess what I meant was is that it can happen, I saw it and I do get a little sore. Not everyone will get an injury, but it was just a warning.

As far as the pins, I have heard people say that in the heat of battle a person can aim at the worng pin. That never happened on my old three pin, andd you are right it shouldn't happen on my new five pin.

New issue of Peterson's Bowhunting came last night. There was a good article about practicing and other bowhunting activities that stressed "less is more." It claimed its often helpful to keep practice to 3 longer and relaxed sessions a week so you don't overthink it - citing an example of a guy that was shooting perfectly but then ramped up practice sessions to be every night so he'd be as prepared as he could be for an elk hunt. It backfired as he put too much pressure on himself and started shooting all over and then made it much worse by moving his sights and changing equipment. He missed his only shot at an elk on his hunt by the way. Made me think. Less is indeed probably more. Thik I will cut down the practice sessions back to 4 or so times a week otherwise it stops being fun.

I just got into this sport this past winter..and I am loving it. I practice about 4 or 5 times a week. I shoot on average 36 shots per practice session. I also try to mix it up some...meaning one session I will practice shooting while standing up....the next day I might do all my shooting from the seated position..as if I was in a pop-up blind. I also try to change up distances and heights...shooting up hill, down hill, on top of a deck or platform..etc. I also got some great advise from this site and have from time to time..just practicing drawing and HOLDING it for an extended period of time....and then slowly letting down. I think this has really helped my strength..etc.

My two cents.

Cliffy

I'm fortunate to be able to shoot in the backyard...so I go out a few times a week and fire off 20 or so shots. I make sure that I am concentrating and making good shots...or am hungary to hit the target. If I lose steam...practice session is over. Another tip...don't over do it....end on a good group! Practice should not only be fun...but also to get you physically and mentally prepared to take the shot during the hunt. So imagine you are taking a shot at a buck of a lifetime. Make sure to also practice in low light conditions...as this (at least for me) is when a majority of shots at deer are taken. Try to simulate the shot you intend to have in the stand (as said in previous posts). Elevate yourself..or shoot from a sitting position, etc., those are all great tips that have been mentioned already as well. Make sure your hunting outfit is going to cooperate with your shooting...put on a face mask, gloves, or hunting coat...to get the feel of what it will be like come game time (hard to do in 90 degree heat...but something that should be done closer to the season).

Good luck to all this fall!!

I about now will start pulling the bow back and holding for 30 secs then letting down.. I cant shoot at my house and reserve practice for the weekends... I wish I could shoot about 3 days a week... the main thing is not to shoot to much and build up slowly!

Good idea Deitz. Being able to pull and hold the bow back is such a huge part of it. The basics are everything.

I have been in a slump the past few nights, hitting several inches in every direction of the 2x2 inch tape squares on my yellow jacket broadhead target. I was being hard on myself and then you just start expecting to miss so you do. Cured that today during my lunch break, though. Pulled out some new arrows With a new attitude and everything changed. The new arrows were shooting dead on - but about two inches low if you get my drift. So I tweaked the sight pin and was back on track. I have a new resolve not to overdo practicing from here out though. Less can be more as I stated in a previous post.