• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Report Your Archery Kill - 2006

Rick

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a fawn about the same size with my bow opening morning of firearms season last season when I thought it was a yearling. They can be quite big come November - especially with the right food sources.

Since then, I've gotten pretty good at separating fawns and yearlings in later season (and early) by the shapes of their bodies. You can draw an imaginery square box around the body of a fawn in most cases. They are pudgier and more stout. You can drawn an imaginery rectangle around the body of a yearling or mature doe. It seems the bigger they get, the longer their bodies do as well as their faces/noses. Yearlings also look like they're growing into mature bodies if you know what I mean. They sometimes look disproportionate - head to body, etc.

Fawns and yearlings get harder to tell apart as the season goes on. If they are born June 1, by Sept 15 they are 3 1/2 months old. By the end of Dec, they are 7 months old, they've doubled in age, and with good nutrition available - corn, soybeans, acorns, by Dec they can be hard to seperate from yearling does, unless they are with bigger does. By Dec, if I still have a doe permit available, I'll shoot a fawn - tasty eating!

Got my first doe of the year on Friday night at maybe 7 yds. Had to hold my draw for at least 2 minutes. Arm was killing me be the time i could shoot. Good practice for the monster buck. She didnt go anywhere, made for an easy tracking job.

Got my first doe tonight or the year, she was about 30yds out time of the shot but had about a 100yds tracking job hit alittle hi and back, liver shot mostly but all in all a good night cant wait for the jerky and sausage.

Shot a coyote last night! Was set up in a ground stand in a patch of willows, saw the coyote coming at about 70 yards, I'm thinking that its 'exam time', got my bow up, started pulling back, he saw me and stopped, he was looking right at me, I held still for about a minute, he started walking again, when he got past me, I drew back, he stopped again and looked at me, and I nailed him. He yipped and then ran off about 60 yards and piled up, kind of looked like my arrow stuck in him. It was 6:59 and I had about 35 minutes of daylite left so I sat where I was at until full dark, no deer. frown.gif Then I walked over to where the coyote had piled up - no coyote!!! (Contact Us Please)!! Went back to the start and found the blood trail, couldn't find the arrow, and never did find the coyote. It was an alfalfa field, he should have stuck out like a sore thumb. frown.gif If hes not dead hes hurtin for certain, it was a pretty soldid 'thunk' and quite a bit of blood.

Does anybody know if their hides would be prime enough to keep? I've always wanted to shoot a coyote or fox, get it skinned and tanned, and hang it on the wall.

I went out on Sunday evening...tried finding a partner but everybody was busy. Usually don't like going out alone but everything was perfect, wind, temp, time of day, confidence etc. etc. I snuck in real quiet and was in the stand by 3:45 - 4:00. Sat for about 2 and a half hours and saw a huge doe about 75 yards west of me and I am sitting about 75 yards inside the woods set up just north of a bean field hoping to catch a few staging deer. No luck with the big doe she moved west and away from me. About 30 min. later I hear more cracking etc. in the thicket and a small doe emerges. Right behind her is Mama. Nice size doe. Came out and I don't know what she saw but she looked right at me. She was doing the head bobbing thing trying to get me to move. Let's say that I usually don't use face paint but did this night and it worked. She did turn around and walked about three steps back in to the thicket. I swore I was busted and just then she turned around walked behind a patch of trees, I drew, she stepped into my shooting lane and I popped her. She dropped to the ground, got up fell again taking about 5-6 small saplings down with her, got up fell again, then got up and hobbled away into the thick brush. I could not believe it. I thought I spined her. Either way it was not the shot I was looking for. I think my arrow was deflected because when I looked at my arrow it was definetely a gut shot. It was dark by the time I started tracking so I called a buddy to bring out his spotlight and we tracked it until 10pm. She was circling around so much it was tough to track her. We flagged a good pile of blood and I was back at it at 7am. This was a deja vu from last year the same thing happened and never found that one. I tracked her right back to the first blood. Did a complete circle. At this point I thought we lost her. Then I went back to where I flagged it the night before and tracked back the other way and luckily found a very sparse blood trail going into the thick stuff and found her piled up probably 150 yards from my stand!!!! Absoleutely awesome. Ended up looking at where I shot her and it went through the guts and right through her leg bone. That is why she was hobbling so bad. MY FIRST BOW KILL AND I WAS PUMPED. It sure did smell nice when we dressed her. I will try to post pics of her when I can!! Love this sport!!!

Thats my buck above!!

Last Nov I was returning from hunting some state land and that guy crossed the road in front of me, then I found his right shed in Jan while snowshoeing. My trail camera has been out since may and has taken over 1000 pics but not one of this guy. So last sat I was hunting over a food plot of brassicis (from BLB) and corn/soybean mix. He steped out at about 5:40 about 45 yards upwind of me. I was able to get my vid camera going and he slowly made his way closer. After about 10 min (felt like two hours) he finally turned broadside at 25 yards. I made a good shot and he ran across infront of me and into the woods. I waited about two min and snuck down and ran abount a 1/4mile to where my buddy was filming my girlfriend hunt. We watched the film and decided to take up the trail abount 30 min after the shot. I couldn't find any blood at the site I went to where he entered the woods. I found his tracks and soon found blood. We followed the blood about 40 yards into the wood and there he was. We put him on the scale before gutting him and he was 290lbs. The biggest deer of my life so far!!

Congrats on your first bow deer. I'm glad you found her.

I'd go back & see if there's possibly a branch or two you missed that you could trim out around your stand. I've had that happen before though when I literally couldn't find anything that looked in the way. It's possible you got excited & did something out of form, been then done that too.

Congrats again, nothing like that first deer with the bow, but all the other ones are a blast too.

I shot that buck near Willow River where I'm living these days. I never did weigh him after we dressed him, I was in such a hurry to have some beers and get him skun out to cool off. I think I need a bigger string loop. I could hardly attatch my release I was shaking so bad.