• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Practice Target?

I'm in the market for a new practice target. I currently have a "black hole" layered block target...its been ok but needs to be replaced...and used as a spare. Anyways...I figured it would be a good idea to ask you all what targets you prefer to shoot at. I practice shoot with both field tips and broadheads...so i would like to get a durable target that could handle both. So please, offer up suggestions and reasons why you like a particular target. As always...thank you all for the input.

I have shot at a friends Block and it worked fine.I have a pillow type called the Arrow Brake II and it works great.Its real good with field points but I normally dont use broadheads on it as it is hard on the fabric.The arrows pull out of this target like nothing.I have many shots in it and it has taken the test.

When I shoot broadheads I usually shoot at my deer decoy like a 3-d shoot.

Last year I bought a cheapie layered foam target from Fleet Farm for around $30. It was bright orange with 5 spots. It worked just fine for me. I shot broadheads and field tips. Broadheads worked fine for about 200 shots then they started getting all the way through at 20yds. My bow isn't incredibly fast, but my buddy has a Bowtech Tomcat and a Liberty. This taget will still stop those arrows, but the 5 spots are pretty worn out.

If no one can convince me why a $70 taget is better I will keep buying one of these each year.

Also, on hso_archery_forum lots of people make there own targets with layers of cardboard or plastic bags. I'm pretty lazy and like a small lightweight target.

I shoot at the small block, great with field tips, but broad heads slice the hell out of it, broad head fine tuning is a must as far as I'm concerned so the price is worth it. I think it will last about 3 seasons...could be worse. I have shot at the fabric bags and they hold up fine too, but I made the mistake of shooting a broadhead into it once.. never got that sucker back. The knock-offs are just as good I'm sure, I just needed one that particular day and bought it at the first place I stopped.

May have to look into the Fleet Farm one as a backup or travel target.

I have yet to find a "broadhead" target that stands up the way the manufacturer would like us to believe. I bought gander mountains imitation of the block and shoot everyday, 20-30 shots for the last month and this thing looks brand new yet, very impressed. When it comes time to switch to the broadheads I go to walmart and they have a cheap foam target in plastic that I can usually find for 15 bucks. broadheads tear it up quickly but I only use it during my final tuning before opener. No sense in tearing up a $60 target, so I just buy one of these cheapos each year.

I think Purple has the right idea. That is pretty much what I do. One of the best targets for broadheads I ever had was a huge cardboard box that I gave to a buddy who works at Lund. He filled it with the foam that they fill the boats with. My bow is slow so it worked great. He had a souped up unit that almost blew through but was still enough to stop them. I highly recommend this if you have the means.

I use a "Yellow Jacket" BH target and it works really well...but dont even think of shoting a FP into it...you will spend the rest of the day trying to pull it out. I bought a Yellow Jacket FP bag and that things is awesome...its holding up just fine. I also bought a Gander Mountian foam layered target...not so impressed...arrows sizzle right thru it.

I'm currently using a block 4X4. I cant say that I am all that impressed. I was hoping the foam shell over the layers would hold up better than the standard block, but it seems like the outer foam is not holding up all that well (especially for broadheads), and the inside is taking a beating too. I am thinking that buying the cheaper layered target every year might be a better way to go in the future.

What are you guys using for buck targets? Glen Del, others? What success have you had with the inserts? Have they held up well?

I've heard good reviews of those Yellow Jacket targets but have yet to buy one.

Several years ago I made one of the targets with the compressed cardboard and it works great for field points. Several times I've had to add cardboard to the top to keep it 4'x5' but I like the large size - less searching for arrows when you're shooting with rookies or you miss on a long shot. For broadheads, I shoot into my foam deer decoy. I just buy the cheap ones that go on sale at Fleet Farm. Even when the heart area is worn out, you can still shoot them in the neck or butt and it will stop the broad head. If I can hit the dot I put on its butt, I can hit it in the heart spot when the real thing comes marching down the trail. I also have one of the bags with five dots. I use it when I'm practicing shooting from a stand, I get my wife to set it at random distances, it helps with judging distances, then I do the same for her. Thats field points only.

I've got a delta field point bag that has taken many, many field point hits these past three years. The thing that stinks about bag targets is that they give you these cruddy little metal stakes to hold them up with. They will almost certainly fall over after a few shots. So I built my own stand for it out of some treated wood and it works like a charm. They also sell metal stands like the one I built for 10 times as much and that are less sturdier in my opinion. I have heard many good things about the yellow jacket and plan on getting one this year. I've used a friend's for broadhead practice and really liked it. Like Blackjack, I also use my cheapie 3d target from Fleet Farm for broadhead practice as well. A new vitals insert usually runs anywhere from $15-$20 and I blow through one after about a month of steady broadhead practice (pick and mark many different spots on the vitals to aim for). If you use Muzzys, you can also use the practice blades and it saves immensely on the 3d target.

about the glendel bucks- we have one that we have probably shot 500 arrows in.(3 months of shooting) and will soon have to switch out the vital block(even though i think there is another vital area on the other side of the vital block) Also since it is collapsable, the insert where you connect the leg to the body has fallen off and we had to glue thye legs to the body. it is a discounted one since it had a bad paint job and some broken antlers, and do not know if that has any thing to do with it confused.gif also if you shoot expandable broadheads will those do less damage to the target when pullin out vs. the fixed broadheads

Bag targets work great for field points. High density foam works the best for broadheads. Layered targets work good to ok for both (with respect to longevity). I would get two targets, 1 bag and one high density foam. I shoot cabelas brand in both types and they work just fine. I went through twice as many layered targets before I started buying targets to designate for field points and BH's.