• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

3 or 5 pin sights

MIKEYMN

I'm thinking about switching to a 5 pin sight from a 3. I'm thinking target shooting great, but when that deer walks out is it to much to think about. Just kind of wondering what you guys and gals that shoot 5 pins think?

I don't think it would cause any issue... Most shots are taken within 30 yards...I think it is more like 17 - 22 yds which, at least from my experience is the first pin with how flat these outfits shoot today. I would think the extra pins would never be an issue.

Steve

M- My personal opinion.. 5 pins is way too much.. I shoot with 3 pins, but really only use 2.. I hvae 1 set at 15 yards and 1 set at 30 yards... I also have a 45 yard pin for emergency.. I would never shoot a healthy animal at that distance, only one that was already hurt.

For 3D tournaments, I have 5 pins!

I am rather new to this sport but.....

I went with a three pin sight. I know the land that I will be hunting is pretty full and the longest shot I would probably ever have is going to be 25-30yards...tops. More then likely its going to be 15-25 yards...so the three pin system is more then enough for me. Now, if I was into the 3d stuff...I might consider a five pin system...

Cliffy.

3 here as well, same yardages as Deitz specified, too many and they get bunched together, especially with todays high speed bows, too easy to get confused on the pin selection. You might say you wont get confused, but wierd things happen to ones brain when the big guy steps out!

I have a 3 pin sight but I only have 2 installed. I have one at 20yds and 40yds. I don't even think my bow is that fast (5 yrs old) and with all 3 pins installed they are right on top of eachother. With the first pin I am covered from 0-25yds. My 40yd pin is more of a formality to help frame the area for a 30 yd shot. I can't even imagine taking a 40yd shot.

I shoot 5 pins for 3D and pull 2 off for bow season. I'd probably leave more pins on for a bigger target, like if I were going elk hunting or something.

When Mr. Big is walking by I want as little to think about as possible.

I have a 5 pin sight with only 1 pin.With the poundage my bow is set at and the arrows I shoot,I can shoot 1 pin up to 30 yards with no problems.I have practiced enough to know that a 40 yard shot needs to only be raised a little bit.I use to shoot more pins and did not care for the extra pins there.This is what I personally have done for the last 10 years and has worked very well for me.

When I was out west in open country,then I used 2 pins in case I needed to crank out a 50 yarder.That year I took a buck at 52 yards.

If you are comfortable with shooting 3-5 pins and feel good doing so,go for it.The only problem I found is that it would get to confusing and I was then thinking which pin I needed to be using.Sometimes that extra second or two is just a little to much.Only you can know.

use a 3 pin with only one in place. good to go up to 30 yrds and to go to 40 was right on top of the other one. should be able to remember that, with less things to mess up. just like using the iron sights - if your long aim high - the rest gets takken care of just shooting and knowing your bow.

see to many guys in messing around with pins all the time and i never understand that. how many sights did your fathers 30-30 have? and did he change those 14 times a year? if his shot was off was it him or the gun?

heehee, good one. comparing to a 30-30. for hunting I have always used 20-30-40. Green, red, green. If I feel my target is at 25 I'll split the lungs with my 20 and 30 and squeeze, and so on. If I figure the lungs are at 40 I center my 40 yard pin on them. You won't find me holding my 20 pin 10 inches high and guessing. I shot tons of 3D from 1995 to 2000 and used 5 pins from 20 to 60. I love gap shooting. If you want a tough shot try to hit a dime at 10 feet. Hee Hee. What pin did you use?

i just know if i had more then one pin they would be so close there is no need for the clutter. small difference either way and if you shoot alot there is no guess work what so ever.

everyone has what works best for them and everybody is and shoots different. have to play around a bit and see what you like and what makes you the best you can be. also depends on what you do most. i do not shoot 3-d in a league. i would never take a hunting shoot longer than 40. i have a large yard with many great shoot areas and have setup a nice little course for me and friends but nothing is longer than 40 - in fact my long target is just a shade over 40....

Funny, I was just thinking of this topic the other day as well. I've taken all of my pins off but one that is tuned in dead on at 30 yards. Thats about as far as I am confident in shooting a deer at. I just need to lower the pin slightly while aiming inside of 15 yards and am right on.