• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Correct draw length??

Hey there. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who could help me. I'm wondering how to messure my correct draw lengh? At the moment when I shoot. Probably half my shots hit my arm. I had a guy this weekend tell me my draw lenght on my bow is too long. He also advised me to open my stance and it will help with the problem. Anyone have some advise??

Go to a local pro shop, if not there is a formula to get close by measuring your finger tip - to finger tip 'wingspan' and getting a ball park figure. I'm sure someone has it handy.

One way of finding your draw length is to measure your wing span from one fingertip to the other...don’t try to stretch it out...just do it normal. Then divide that number by 2.5.

Good luck

Cliffy

Goto a local pro shop, they can measure your drawlength, they usually have an arrow marked at 1 inch intervals. Or have a friend help you, draw an arrow back comfortably, have the friend mark it where it sits on a rest, thats your draw length, your arrows will be cut 1-1.5 inches longer.

Actually, if you're hitting your arm, its probably not your draw length. Relax your front hand that holds the bow, if you grip it too tight, it will twist the bow to where the string hits your arm. By relaxing your front hand, I mean your fingers should be straight when you're pulling the string back, the pressure pulling back will hold the bow riser against the yoke between your thumb and fingers. If that doesn't solve it, goto a pro shop and have them watch you shoot, they should be able to help you.

Yep, Blackjack is right- likely not your drawlength. Two things- 1) do you lock your left elbow (assuming you're right handed) when you shoot? If yes, it needs to be unlocked and slightly flexed. This will help greatly when you shoot. 2) consider putting an STS on your bow. They're great for several reasons and will dramatically reduce arm slap.

Regardless of all this, don't get advice from "some guy" who happened to be shooting next to you. Go to a pro and get informed help.

One thing that can cause a shooter to lock that elbow and twist it inward is too long of draw length (not the only reason just one of them). Having good draw length does a great job of virtually eliminating that twisting inward of the elbow as long as the shooter uses a consistant anchor point.

Whoever mentioned the wingspan divided by 2.5 is correct. This will get you very close to the ballpark. Start there and see what you get. How does that compare to the DL you are shooting?

Thank you for all the info. I'm pretty sure it's not my grip. I keep my hand open. I have a sling so it helps hold the bow in place. Also when I shoot I keep my elbow slighty bent. I've started trying to release with some back tension and I'm not sure if that's causing the problem. I'll Check my wingspan and make sure my bow is right!!

Would opening up my stance help any? I pretty much stand at 90 degrees to the target. Am I supposed to have a slighty open stance?

I was taught to open my stance about 45 degrees and I never have hit my forearm. I also lock my bow arm. It is straight and just like a post from my bow to my grip. And as said before relax your grip. If your hand is open and your fingers are sticking out that means tension. They should be relaxed and hanging by the front of your grip. Tension is not our friend. Good luck.

i measured like 64 from fingertip to finger tip divided by 2.5 does this mean i have a 25.6 pull lenght hmmm i have never seen or heard anyone with such a small pull lenghts besides kids?? he he

another way of checking maybe im 5/5 normal arm lenght if you are my same height aproximately what lenght do you pull

Best way to get measured is to go to a pro shop and get measured. That will be the best way to get a correct draw length. Also if you want to check yourself the next time you pull your bow back if where you knock your arrow goes past your nose quite a bit then your draw length is to long. It should be at the tip of your nose or just a little past.

By smacking your arm like everyone said is relax your grip. Another thing that will help is if you relax your whole arm, shoulder, elbow and all that should also help you from smacking your arm. Thats what i do and i do shoot at a 90 degree stance. I may have smacked my arm maybe 5 times since i have been shooting.