• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Migration reports for Snows

Just got off the phone with guys by Thompson and they said there are a few thousand on the ice and they were waiting for them to move. I myself have seen a couple small flocks flying over town but have not taken a drive yet. Someone else told me there was a bunch sittin on madison a few days ago but I cant confirm that. In any case"its time"

The licence is about $60 for a nonresident. Most of the hunting is pass shooting from road ditches and jumping them on public ponds and private corn stubble.

Many guys decoy and have great success throughout the season, later in the season is generally better for this.

There has been huntable numbers for 3 days now and it will only get better during the next few weeks.

mw

Saw about 500-1000 honkers hanging around watertown the last few days, a whole bunch in a field southeast of town, but only a couple snows mixed in.

I'm cleaning my gun, though. I expect some to be here by sunday and for sure next weekend.

Seen my first flock of snows just southeast of watertown this morning, only bout 200 in the flock, but its a start. Im gettin an itchy trigger finger and ready to shed some blood. So is Rush, my almost 2 year old lab he has been watchin the honkers fly around the yard the last few days and gives me the funny look, like why arent we hunting??

been watching geese like mad come through the last 2 days through the office window, but have seen only one flock of snows the last 2 days. Im sure theyre probly around and i think me and Rush are gonna go look in the morning. Ill have a report tomorrow.

There has definatly been more traffic over the last few days. The canadas and ducks are all over the place. The snows have started to show up more and more everyday too!

For some reason I am more interested in fishing this year. confused.gif (kinda scary)

I also saw another good size flock today over lunch, im about as far west of sioux falls as it gets (Tea Ellis road area)

should be a interesting weekend....motorcycle riding today....could be shoveling snow tomorrow or sunday. gotta love it grin.gif

Hey Mike,

A friend and I have been chatting about making a run out to your area next week sometime. We like the De Smet area and know it from past hunts. We'll end up whereever the birds are though.

This recent Winter Storm Watch and significant snows in the forecast make us wonder what the heck is gonna happen. Next week looks chilly too. I don't know what to think...

Keep us posted. Appreciate all the reports you guys can all share.

Do you guys know Gene and Lona Kluck? I talked to them and they are going to try and bust a bunch of the flying Carp there in ?Watertown. Said they were showing up a couple days ago. CAJ

Chuck,

You will have to look me up when you come.

I saw lots of birds near De Smet yesterday when I was headed to the river. I saw birds as far west as Miller and only one flock at Pierre.

I would have to say that the greatest concentration of birds is near De Smet, It might be different now that we are currently in a blizzard!

mw

Any of you SD guy's I have a question for you. About how much snow did you guys receive out of this last storm? Any idea where it fell snow line etc? Any info will help I am heading your way this up comeing week to chase snows.

Hey Mike,

I just noticed the blizzard over there. Crazy! Looks like the snow missed my place by a few miles and I never knew as we had a beautiful weekend... crazy.gif

Please keep me informed as I'll be chasing some snows late this week into the weekend it looks like. Really interested what the weather did!

Throw me an email this week, and I'll try to do the same.

chunord at yahoo (Contact US Regarding This Word)

I've seen maps online of the snow cover and depth across SD, but need confirmation...can someone please post what happened out there!? grin.gif

Are there any birds left after this cold and snow? Getting a little nervous about planning a trip out there. Not going to the cornhusker state...way too far for snows.

They said about 6in total but it blew hard. I drove to pipestone yesterday and the fields are pretty white and a ton of birds goin south. They day of the storm I went through lake county and south of madison and there were plenty of geese. A buddy went out today and said birds were hard to find and most were cruizin south. Its hard to say how many will stick around, as far as planning a trip my suggestion would be to hold off, but there is a lot of ground I havent covered since the storm so I am sure someone else will have some input on that.