• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Migration reports for Snows

I was wundering how hard it is to find land to hunt on, and if there is many geese around bigstone lake? this would be my first outting for snows and just want to hunt for a few days. any info would be appreciated guys, so help out fellow hunter who wants to get the winter blues gone

As far as land goes it is generally not a problem, the biggest thing is usually finding the owners and you will figure out which areas are better pretty quick. I dont know about big stone but last weekend on my way back to town, marshall to 14 was packed along 23, never seen it before. I dont know if this was a fluke deal or if there are still some over there but it was good to see. A couple people I have talked to said they have seen more in MN this year than before. I personally havent been out but the last few people I have talked to also said that a bunch of birds were east of the interstate. About all you can do is give it a shot.

I was driving truck 22 to clear lake and 212 to watertown a good portion of the weekend. I saw a ton of birds from clear lake to the border on saturday and not as many on sunday. I didnt see much along 212 as far as I was going. Hunted last night on the way home from SF and the fog made it real tough. We saw sporadic fields with a few hundred but no masses. We only got one sneak on before dark and dropped a half dozen. Like I said the visibility was terrible so its hard to say how many there were around as a whole. What a muddy mess.

I wrote this in the duck hunting forum earlier.

Just returned from a 4 day trip in Britton, SD chasing those dang blasted snows. I started my journey in Britton and then to Sand Lake down south and all over the country side. Friday the snows were migrating north hard and with the snow line just into ND, I decided Britton might be a good choice. My friend Ole showed up later that night and we spent the night setting up the spread of shells, silosocks, fliers, northwinds, sillouettes and ecallers.

Saturday was relatively calm and a tough day for decoying. TONS of birds, flying in every direction all day. I would not doubt if the Sand Lake Refuge held over a million birds that day, and the area should have had that many for sure.

Sunday came along and winds greeted us. Better shoot and got some birds. At times we had thousands of geese overhead circling and taking a peek at us but they had difficulty committing.

Monday the #'s of snows really went down and many migrated north Sunday night with some really strong south winds. Tough morning hunt with light winds.

Just got back from a fishing attempt at Waubay. There were hundreds of Snow Geese north of Milbank and uncounted thousands between BitterLake and Antelope Lake. They have been there for a few days and they have a south wind so they may ride the wind north tonight. There were a few flocks of Specklebellies high and heading north also. Every wet spot on the fields was full of Bluebills, Mallards and Canadas. At times, we couldn't hear each other talk because of the goose noise. A good sound.