• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris Sportsman: 400, 450, 500, 700, 800 ????

Bigbartguy

hi folks

I'm looking at used Polaris Sportsmans and am wondering what is a good 'size' motor to have? This would probably be used dragging boat trailers around, plowing a driveway, and trail riding....general cabin type stuff I guess.

I really don't want to go any bigger than I really need to (ie. cost) but dont want to have buyer's remorse with too small of a motor either. I'm leaning towards the 500 or 600 but would like some input if anyone can help.

ps-please don't suggest that I buy another brand, etc etc - a Polaris dealer is less than 2 miles from the cabin!

thanks again

Well, I bought a 2002 400 Sportsman, and have been very happy. It drug elk at 11,000 feet, and also plows snow very well. For normal cabin chores, it does everything I want it to do. I skidded 20 foot long logs 16 inches in diameter, no problem.

Trail riding is very comfortable with the independant rear.

I bought it new, and the 400 fit my budget at the time. I wanted a 500, but looking back I have not regretted having the small motor one bit.

I have owned 2 400 Xplorers and they did a lot of work for me. I always wanted to get the biggest wheeler they had but after researching alot I am getting the new X2 with the 500 EFI. You don't gain a lot with the bigger ones and have heard they can be gas guzzlers because of the extra weight. I would definately suggest EFI if you plan on using it during the winter months. My 2 stroke took for ever to warm up.

I wouldnt get too concerned about a 400 not working for food plots.

We have a pair of 400's and we run them extremely hard on plots in the spring. This will be year number 4 on plots.

If you plan to pull something like a plotmaster, then a 500 or better wouldn't be a bad idea.

I pulled a 4 ft plotmaster last year and planted 3 acres of winter rye on Labor Day weekend. It was work on it, but I found that traction was more of an issue than a lack of power. But, I think a bigger machine is advisable if you are gonna be using something like a plotmaster as a primary piece of equipment.

We have everything else we need for plots such as a disc, sprayer, drag harrow, "digger"(old 4 ft farm piece), fertilizer spreader, etc. None of that equipment requires anything bigger than a 400.

Not saying bigger wouldnt be better, but a 400 will do the tasks you need to do if you use the right equipment.

I've had my new 700 EFI now for about 3 weeks....starts with a touch of the key at -15 deg...if you're a cold weather user, take a look at the EFI models..it was nice not having to put the wife through my "How to choke a....uhm.....cold wheeler" training course.

I have a 02 500 Sportsman and I pull my boat around the yard and plow with it. I really like it and it has never gave me any trouble. I hope to get a EFI model some day, maybe a 700.. but the 500 is the biggest Polaris makes with recoil backup so that is also something to think about.

thanks for everyone's input. I'm leaning towards a 500, they seem to be the most common.

A question for owners - I understand that the 2002 and earlier models had something like 20 grease fittings - how often do you guys fill these?

thanks!

Ugh, true dat! I was wondering why it took you so long to post that photo, LOL.

Good proof that sometimes the wheeler needs to stay at home and take the snomobile. Too bad you were so busy replacing jugs on your cats, wink.gif

Actually it was a great photo. Not only should you consider the brand and size of the machine, but the tires on them as well. I had stock tires on mine, which usually offer excellent traction. Not that day, and not in those conditions.

Chuck's tires were wider, and had better floatation on the snow. Mine chewed down to the ice, and then my frame would hang up on the deep snow and there I'd sit.

I have owned a 94-300 and now have a 2001 500ho. The 300 did every thing the 500 does, it's just easier for the 500. I would say the 450 they have out in place of the 400 is all you need. Just remember when working them use low range but if you can aford to step up a notch go for it.

Well if ur going to buy one get the 500ho i use to make part for polaris and the 500 is the way to go 700 and 8oo have some problem with over heating and the 400 is under powered if ur going to get a used one look for the 2004 not the 2004 and a half the o4 has got a better tran. than the 04 and a half the o4 and a half has a inline shift an the 04 has a H patern shif and has ben a round 4 years the in line has a few bugs too

kdawg and others

I'm kinda debating about whether I should go new or not now...out the door (taxes, prep, AND 3 yr warranty) I can get 450-$5627, 500carb $6191, 500efi $6319.

or buy a recent used/lo mile 500 for probably around $5000 with some add-ons thrown in. There sure isnt much depreciation on these things. Almost makes you wonder if you should buy new.....ugh I hate these choices

At first I was thinking used also but after doing more that enough research I do believe new is the way to go, unless you personally know the maching and previous owner. Percentage wise it's not going to be that much more money and you do get that "new ATV smell"!

BigBartGuy,

I've spent a lot of time looking for a used atv as well and am thinking I will go new,(afraid of buying someone else's problems). The prices you stated above are better than I've seen around my area. Would you be willing to email me the dealers name? email: [email protected] Thanks!