• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It be six,twentysomething in the Ay Em. I'm packing food and I hope you guys are hungry. About two gallons of barbequed beans and four dozen hot dogs with everything. I might even bring a fishing rod. See you guys soon. laugh.gif

Thanks Dennis and the rest of the FM crew that pulled this all together. It was great meeting some new folks and being able to say hi to the familiar ones. Awsome beans by the way icehousebob. My son couldn't stop talking about making another trip up there, at least for the first 30 minutes of the drive home anyways, shortly after that he was sound asleep.

My sons first catfish. He had a bigger one on earlier, but it got tangled up in the camera cable and got off.

coolcats0001.jpg

My first catfish

coolcats0003.jpg

Great time today everyone! I think we counted around 75 people at one point in time, and me and a couple others guys figured around 100 people throughout the day! Awesome!

I sure met a lot of new people today, and as always, it's fun to see a few familiar faces as well smile.gif

I was great to see all the catfish caught throughout the day. When I got there around 7:50am there were quite a few fish on the ice! It was one of the better days I've seen at the Meth Hole area. I know several people got their 5 fish by 9am, very cool!

My dad joined me for the weekend, and it was fun to see other families out there as well. That is what these events are all about.

And yes, I HAVE to mention the food grin.gif WOW is the only word that comes to mind! Some excellent eats!

I would like to give a special thanks to Dennis Steele (as well as the "cooks" smile.gifwink.gif), this guy worked his butt off for this event to make sure things went smoothly! Good job Dennis!

The Cool Cats has always been one of my favorite events every winter, and this year was no different!

Here are a few shots from today...

PaulCoolCats2.jpg

nytlyter enjoying the day

Enjoy the rest of the ice fishing season! smile.gif

I posted the following in the Catfish formum section. Hope you don't mind if I also repeat it here. Thanks to all of you that organized this great event.

I'd like to thank all the FM'ers responsible for Cool Cats 2006. I can't believe what a wonderful resource FM is for anyone interested in fishing. If you have never attended a FM get together, you are missing out on a great opportunity to meet some wonerful people and learn some great fishing tips.

Today Dennis loaned me his Marcum and gave me some tips on using it. Deitz also gave me some additional tips on using a flasher and moving from hole to hole. The Chemist drilled some extra holes for us and gave me the hot lure the catfish were hitting on. Papa Grump gave me some tips about fishing in the Minnesota River. You can read about these things in the forum, but it is much clearer when go to a get together and actually see how it is done.

I was also impressed with how well everything was organized. There was even a porta potty. The pot luck was great.

Thanks also to you sponsors. There were lots of great prizes. I came with my daughter, brother, and niece. All of us won raffle prizes. In fact, my niece won the grand prize, a Marcum LX-2 Ice System. She thanks you very much.

Thanks to all you FM'ers that are so willing to share. It is really fun to have an opportunity to meet with you.

Oh--I also learned the secret bait Keith's wife uses. But, you can't pry it out of me.

I am on my way home from cool cats 2006. Had alot of fun. I just left the lake and stop at the BK in clearwater and they had a wireless connection.

It's great being able to put a faces to the name.

I am bummed I didn't get there until 10 I missed the good fishing. Skunked bummer.

Still had a blast.

Thanks Dennis for putting this together.

Here's a few more photos...

Have to apologize for not remembering this guy's name. I met a lot of new FM guys today and the brain is hurting from trying to keep the right faces and names together. Never the less, nice cat!

coolcats0634wb.jpg

Here's another photo I'm having some problems with. Dennis Steele on the right, but this other guy had a megaphone in front of his face. grin.gif

coolcats0626kg.jpg

Here's a shot of the crowd waiting for the Marcum LX-2 to be drawn for. Dennis had some great prizes lined up. A big thanks to the sponsors who donated prizes. There were lots of Custom Jigs & Spins Demon Jigging Spoons given away and that is what I caught all my cats on today, specifically the 1/8oz in Glow Red.

coolcats0614lg.jpg

Thank you FM Staff, Icehouse Bob, and others. It was a good time.

Dennis, MJ5, thanks for cleaning the Cats for all of us! (Thumb still numb Matt?) Very tasty!

Might look you up for a "Hell or High water" guided trip on the MN River later this year, Dennis. If you keep the RP "on or close" to the water... ha ha!

Jon P, waiting for the pic from the "Blue Water" Cat, how deep were you on that one. Heard you lost it at the hole and had to dive for it, GOOD save! Jon "Blue Gloves" Petrowske grin.gif

Thanks again guys, great planning and fun!

river-rat4

As always a great time on the ice. I always have so much fun just shooting the breeze at these events that fishing becomes secondary. Lots of good stories, good eats and at least early good fishing.

See you at the next event.

I had me a great time and so did my sons and their friends and their friends of friends. I hope no one minded the extra people. Dennis and I talked about opening a state fair food stand selling catfish, beans and hot dogs. It seemed to go well yesterday. Thanks to everyone for all the great food contributed to the feed. And a big thanks to the sponsers who donated the door prizes. At the end of the day, I realized that I hadn't even put a line in the water. And how many of you noticed the lack of litter? With a group that big, as I walked around I couldn't even find a gum wrapper or cigarette butt. FM attracts a higher class of fisherman. Can't wait for next year.

Dennis Steele for president!!!!!!!! grin.gifgrin.gif

river-rat4,

Thumb finally thawed out grin.gif At one point I thought the pile of catfish was never going to end. No matter how fast and Dennis and I could fillet, more just kept coming. It felt like Dennis and I were working at Ichibans grin.gifwink.gif

Someone also decided to snipe my pop with a fresh minnow... something tells me it was Jon P (aka the "magnet man")... as if I didn't eat enough fish during the fry, I had to dine on fresh sushi while drinking a Coke grin.gif

YES!!!!!! thank you to dennis for orgasnizing this event. it was my 1st time fishing cats. i had barely gotten my line down and i got broke off. fergot to set the drag dropped down a second line and bang, here kitty kitty. and my cat cherry is popped with my 1st cat on the ice. a few minutes later bang again and this one has some weight to it. after about two minutes to get her up,and lost it right at the hole. the guy that was helping land it said it was a very nice cat. had a few more hook ups. but more importantly I AM HOOKED! it was totally fun. good people great food and cats to boot. all in all it was a day for the books and I WILL BE BACK. thanks again to all. now i just need to talk dennis or hanson into takeing me on the river for river cats. and please let me know if you guys are going to hit the kitties again before ice out i would love to hang out and

hook up on some more cats soon. ...... paul

I didn't see a frown all day. Thats all the thanks I need! wink.gif

This started out as some internet buddies out on the ice having a good time and it still is, only now I have a LOT more buddies!

The weather couldn't have been nicer and lets give a big thanks to all those catfish that decided to show up too!

I also want to thank all those who helped out.

Chemist, the guy who invited me and a couple guys several years ago and has been helping with this event every since.

Borch, Tom Herman, Lance Bainville and all the guys helping in the "kitchen". Matt for freezing his digits filleting frozen fish.

icehousebob for those awsome beans and chilidogs.

fisherking101 for venison/bacon wraps. DUDE those were good!

Did anyone try nytlyeter clam dip? That beats any old chip dip!

I also want to thank everyone for all the cookies, cakes,pickles, chips, salads and all the other good food we had to munch on.

Pretty darn good digs!

I can't leave out all the sponsors and those who donated prizes. Marcum, Custom Jigs and Spins, JB, Thorne Bros and Nature Vision/Aqua Veiw courtesy Tom Herman. Chemist for the jigging spoons and maj330 for the cool maps!

We will see you next year. Same cat time, same cat channel.

In the mean time check out some of the other get togethers we are having.

LOTW ICE Series and get together

Sturgeon Excursion

Dennis,

Thanks again for another Fun Event. My boys & I had a great time. Deitz,Hanson,& John P. was great to me you guys!

Hey Hanson thanks for posting the pic of my first kitty ever through the ice! cool.gif Man was the bite on thanks to the 1/16oz.Red Glo-Devils from Scenic takle tipped with a Minnow head.

Was great to meet some new faces & friends.

See ya on the water,

Chris Buller "SportFishin'"

It was nice to put a few more faces to names out there. The food was excellant as always and alot of smiling faces. the best was the little girl who won the LX2 , turned around to her dad and said "Happy Birthday Daddy" . Classic moment if I ever saw one. Blue Kayak - there is always a ride waiting for you in the RP to explore the river, and do a little fishing. Good fishing to all and can't wait for the Sturgon outing next month.

Brian

That was really a class act by the girl that won the lx2. That really shows the unselfish attitude that I have seen at all of the get togethers I have been to. Ditto on the thank you's to all who attended and put it on. Dennis, Have you picked a running mate for the presidential campaign yet? cool.gif I would at this time like to nominate Icehousebob for V.P., his personality will take the campaign to new heights!!! grin.gif Truly a class act. That's what it's all about!

The little girl who won the LX-2 is my sweet niece. I just got a call from my brother, and they want me to have the Marcuum. I am so thrilled. That was the next piece of equipment I knew I had to have. Boy, it sure pays to invite your family to the FM get togethers.

Thanks Papa Grump for the invitation to ride and fish on the RP. I'd love a ride on a RP. It'd be quite a change from my kayak, which you can borrow anytime LOL.

Quote:

Someone also decided to snipe my pop with a fresh minnow... something tells me it was Jon P (aka the "magnet man")... as if I didn't eat enough fish during the fry, I had to dine on fresh sushi while drinking a Coke
grin.gif

Matt,

Wasn't me. Trust me if I would have thought it up it would have been done! Somebody else got you on that one. wink.gif You havent even relized yet what I did. shocked.gifcool.gif