• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Auger mounts

J Smith

By all means use a bracket system to save your auger as well as your racks but get the right bracket system. I'm on my second set of mounts already this winter. The first type I bought was the Ryan's mounts from Ganger Montain. One bracket broke the 1st week I used it. It could not hold the weight of the power head and snapped off at the base. These are made of steel rod.

The second ones I bought came from Dennis Kirk. They are the Moose brand made by IPI and seem to be holding up well. They hold the auger end with a fork and the power head by two brackets that cradle the handles and use a wide velcro strap to hold them in. 3 points of attachment and the auger does not move! Cabelas in Rogers has a similar bracket from Mad Dog gear for about 2/3's less (if they have them, they have a hard time keeping them in stock).

By auger shield, you must be talking about the tube system. I have not seen one of them up close so I can't comment on it. It would definitley keep the sharp edges covered and away from people.

Fly - I have the same IPI auger mounts as you. Had them for over a year and they work great. The only problem I have is with how cumbersome they are. Sure they are great getting you to the lake you want to fish, but if you are like me and drill alot of holes, it can get time consuming restrapping the handles down. I was thinking of buying a pair of the air ride yokes (not sure of the manufacturer)and mounting those as well. I could just lay the auger in those while popping holes in search. Does anyone use these yokes for hauling an auger? Any info is appreciated.

Jason

I also want easy,quick access to my auger and don't want to be messin' with the straps all the time!I have recently just been laying my Strikemaster on my Otter cover and then it's right there ready to drill when I get to the "spot"! I looked at some Kolpin ratcheting grips at Cabelas,but they do not have a strap across the top to get the auger secure and to stop the jiggling.

I have the auger mount mentioned above with the straps and "tuning fork" with a rubber strap. I do like the way it holds the auger nice and steady. I have even trailered the wheeler with the auger mounted on it for fairly short distances. I also agree that a better strap for the handle would be nice as it can be a pain getting the velcro through the slots, but its not too bad. A rubber strap like on the auger mount for the power head would be nice - something similar to the strap that holds the blade cover on the auger would work as well.

I just installed the Arctic Cat Auger Mount, its the tube and it mounts onto the multiple rack system with 4 pins. The auger head simply rests on two rubber holders and then you pull two velcro straps to secure it. It is so solid and it doesn't move at all. When you get to your spot undo the two velcro straps pull the auger out of the plastic tube and your drilling. It is an arctic cat accessory so I don't know if you can use it on other machines but if you have an arctic cat go for it you'll love it.

J

Those velcro straps are a pain with cold hands too aren't they?

What I want to know is when is someone going to make an ice auger attachment for the front of an ATV? Kind of like those used on skid steer loaders? Wouldn't that be something? You would not even have to get off the ATV.

Who here will be the first?

Well, I think everyone here knows I like my Otter Shield that slides onto my Otter Monster Box the best, but I realize that setup isn't affordable to everyone.

mbandiceshield39je.jpg

I have also used the IPI setup, the fork for the auger while the auger handles rest on two mounts that velcro the handle down. I had great luck with that setup but, I had to take extra time to adjust the angles of the handle mounts to accept the auger handle nicely, when first installing. Velcor'd down, that auger didn't move. I did find, like some of you, that sliding the velcro strap through that slot in the mount was difficult when cold outside or you were in a hurry. If anyone needs some photos of the IPI setup, email me.

The Ryan's Rack should not have broke. I still have those on another machine and have had no problems. I would contact Ryan's Rack if one was the break.

I have fabricated my own brackets and mounted an Otter Ice Shield when they first came out, too.

iceshieldholder0he.jpg

Was fun to use the imagination once in awhile and it worked out great.

Hi guys, thanks for the input. I think I'll go with the Otter shield like Dave's. Reason being, I like to cover my 800 with a travel cover-I learned the hard way what Salt spray did to my old 500 sptsmn.-and I can strap it to my rack and remove it quickly w/o wrenches when it comes time to cover my Wheeler for the ride home.

J. wink.gif

I built mine out of steel.You can made the fork to hold the power head and line it with rubber to protect the shaft.

Then I built a cradle out of steel for the stand and then cut a piece of plastis pipe in half and connected to the stand.It then gets 2 bungee straps around the auger on the atv rack and you can go 40 and it doesnt move.It still looks like new and no problems at all.Total cost was probably 20 dollars and a few hours to fabricate.I dont believe anyone makes one stronger than this or safer.

I have had a set if IPI for 3 years and they are great but I modified mine a bit. Rather than use the velco piece I used a set of IPI gun holder I threaded those into the base provided with the system so all of my point of attachment are y yolks very easy to put the auger in and out on the coldest days.

I had a set of Ryan racks that I tried out this year and mine broke the same as mentioned earlier. I have a 3 HP power head on my auger so I think the added weight of that was the problem for me. So I returned them and went back to the IPI system.

I went out and bought the Sportsmans Warehouse model for $39.99...the carry bag style. It's made by Glacier. Very durable, more so than the Strikemaster brand. Used 3 bungies, worked out extremely well on the front rack. Now I know I can haul it in my Otterskin w/out cutting any canvas too. Thanks for the replies.

J. wink.gif