• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lighting for portable

Dano2

Well, since it was a cruddy day I loaded up the GSP and we went looking for lights in St. Cloud and found nothing. Tried the truck stores and most told me they don't carry the whites since they aren't a big seller. Little do they know! In a last ditch effort I decided to settle for some rope lighting and couldn't find those either! Sold out everywhere. Back to the lantern and headlamp for another week......

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Checked hsolist and found more lights from that same seller some others here have bought from. I went with the Maxxima M63150 model which is the oval 45 LED unit. I figured these would fit better on the poles than the round type, although a few less LED's. He had the round ones too, BTW. Not a bad price for a pair considering what they run individually from a truck store. I just hope it's a reliable seller with legit items.

Verdicts in on running 2 of the 42450 leds off one vex style battery. Been going since around 3:00 pm this afternoon and are still running as bright as 6 hours ago. Wouldn't surprise me if they are still going in the morning. Great set-up. Thanks to this post wouldn't have learned about this set-up. Special thanks to deepholes for the pic's......

The vexilar batter ran bright with two sets of 54 led's for a total of 108 led's for 16 hours and then started to fade. No more lugging around those heavy deep cycle batteries, and no more lanterns. YEE HAA. These were the 42450 maxxima back up lights and a pair really gives off a ton of light.This was a great thread about lighting cool.gif

Quote:

Borch, does the LB1 fit into a 1" acrylic tube? This sounds like what I'm looking for to protect the fixture. Thanks.

Like Paul said a little loose. I used a little bit of epoxy glue but the double sided tape is also a great solution to securing these.

I haven't looked to see if anyone has posted this yet, but....

I bought the Gander version of the rope lights. 6 ft of lights + 10ft of cord for $10. I also hav the Clam version (bought b4 the Gander version, and mad at self for doing so) 3ft of lights and 10ft of cord for $30. The Gander version puts out more light and is a nicer set up. The cord on the Clam style is too heavy, making it tougher to mount. And you have to install the gator clips (persumibly so you can adjust the length of wire). The Gander style has lighter gauge wire with nicer clips all ready to go.

My 2 cents

ER

Frankly, I haven't heard to maby folks say that they like the performance of there pre-manufactored rope lights. Too dimm is the biggest complaint. Now the guys that are making there own rope lights with there own LED's are saying great things about that set-up. Might want to read several of the preceeding posts to get some good feed back. Some great disscusions here on this lighting business. And info on building your own set.

O.K. - Sounds like the seller has been putting more units up for bid on his site. He e-mailed me and said he has others for sale that he would sell me, so I guess if there are others out there that want some I can try to put in an order for a bulk amount and share the discount with others. I am not looking to be a middle man here, but I will make an order with him if there is a group that wants them. Mine are not here yet, but can't wait. Using the lantern this past weekend was no fun knowing these other lights were coming.

Here are a couple more pictures of the lights I built. Sorry it's taken so long to get them posted, I had to catch some crappies this weekend!

The first one is how I wired the lights. I mentioned before that there are essentially two positive leads coming out of the socket. This picture shows that. You can also see the small hole I drilled and used to attach the ground or negative wire to the socket. The second picture is a frosty pic of the light in action. Fished two nights this weekend and the lights worked great.

lightwireing3oe.jpg

lightinaction1cj.jpg

Gus, What would you say about making me a couple of those lights the same way you have them, I like the idea of putting them anywhere on the bars and taking them down to put away and the idea of directing the light in a certain direction. Let me know, I am willing to let you make a nice profit. I just am not much good at this kind of tinkering around with things.

Thanks for the pics Gus. I think I follow what you did, but can't find a similar looking socket in stores. It is an auto socket for an 1157, right? Your picture doesn't look like the ones I see in stores. Did you modify it so it doesn't look the same, maybe?

Has anyone received their lights from that hsolist seller yet? I got my ovals today and they are not Maxxima and they do not have 45 LEDs. I'll be contacting the seller tonight, but I'm having doubts about this one.

Yep, same one. I just sent an email to the seller to see what his next move will be. I know what mine is if his isn't the correct one.

These lights that I got are made by A.L Lightech and have 19LEDs. I punched them into google and found their site. The only thing similar to the Maxximas I thought I was getting is that they are oval. Not real happy because I wanted to give them a run this weekend and made mention to him/her that there were more people who ordered these lights as well. frown.gif

I already got a response from the seller. Apparently his "supplier" ran out of the ones he was advertising and offered to replace them with a similar product. He said that he should have the 'real' lights after the 1st, but I'm sending these back for a refund. I don't know why he wouldn't have sent a letter asking if I wanted these other lights. I suppose he figured some people would just take them for what they were and forget it. Now we have to go through the entire return and reimburse process. mad.gif