• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lighting for portable

Dano2

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ears, I just ordered the LB1 this a.m., two to be exact. What type of plastic tube are you using to put the bars in? somebody once suggested aquarium hosing or some thing like that. Do you feel that they are fragile enough that they have to have some type of protection? Just curious as mine should show up on Saturday and want to have everything on hand to install them so I can get out early on Sat. Dont want to have to run around any more than necessary

Quote:

Quote:

That sounds like what I did. I went to Fleet Farm (you could co to your local auto parts store) and bought two tail light sockets for $2.79 a piece. I used self taping screws to secure them to the supports in my Otter and wired them to my motorcycle battery.

I put some 1157s in the sockets. You could perform surgery in there! I'm going to get the LED tail lights. I'll post pictures when I'm finished.

[/indent]

Quote:

This is the same way my Dad wired his 8x10 moe than 25 years ago, they worked great, but here is the down side...

They draw alot of juice from the batt. I remember as a little lad, dad had to fire up the truck every couple of hours. And the bulbs get
HOT
!!! This can cause a meltdown on your fabric in a portable
frown.gif

[/indent]

The 1157's shouldn't draw that much power, should they? I would think they would be like the rest of the LEDs, cool and low power draw? Anyone help me out on this, I would like to try this method.

I believe he was refering to the standard incadescent 1157 bulbs used in cars. The LED version should have simuliar brightness without the heat or amount of battery draw. Although they will be significantly more expensive than the standard bulb.

I've experimented with 1157 bulbs and the normal fillament bulbs do get hot. I bought some LED 1157 bulbs and they are great. Once again superbright led's comes through (they should become a sponsor). I picked up the 19 led model and they are great. My fishing partner and I have come up with some great little lights for our fish traps. We are on version two this year, I'll see if I can't post a picture of one right after I built it. It uses the same support poles that come with the traps and the c-connectors so they can be placed anywhere in the house. This weekend will be a good test run for us with our newest design and we plan to post a pretty good piece with lots of pictures of the whole setup once we get a little real world testing done.

led23kr.jpg

Your right I was talking about the old style lights, I remember if someone let the door get away from them and it slammed into the house a light would go out and you would have to change the bulb, I was way too impatent to wait for the bulb to cool down first and ouch...!$#* they would be HOT

I didn't know you could find LEDs for $2.79 a piece.

Gus- That is a nice looking setup. I have found 18-30 LED bulbs going for under $20 bucks. I'm sure I can find a light socket for a few bucks. I think it would be plenty of light. I haven't decided how to mount them yet, I would like to be able to swivel them around for aim if necessary.

I don't have a vex or camera, or anything running off a battery. What would it cost for a gel battery and charger? Where would I find them at without going up to Cabelas?

nitroant:

I live in Faribault but will take a couple pics of what I did. Maybe I can mail them to someone who can post here. Being so simple and literally a (5) minute job its almost embarrassing to think its any big deal. (lol)

Looks alot like captkev there only (1) light centered in middle with wire in plastic conduit from light up over the pole and between the canvas to the back wall and down into the sled.

Light is zipp tied to the center pole from the mounting holes in the lights flange. It can be pulled down the length of the pole as desired, and angle adjusted simply by tension of the wire being tightened or loosened in between the pole and canvas.

I've found it doesnt need to be moved a bit from the center as it fills my house up wall to wall from the sled to the front door. The light went "2" full days on a 7.0 amp 12v.

Quote:

Gus- That is a nice looking setup. I have found 18-30 LED bulbs going for under $20 bucks. I'm sure I can find a light socket for a few bucks. I think it would be plenty of light. I haven't decided how to mount them yet, I would like to be able to swivel them around for aim if necessary.

I don't have a vex or camera, or anything running off a battery. What would it cost for a gel battery and charger? Where would I find them at without going up to Cabelas?

The sockets I used were about $2.50 at fleet farm. I used set screws to seat them into the pole. I paid 9.99 for the bulbs. Last year my buddy and I used our "version 1" of this type of setup which wasn't quite as durable and the bulbs only had 12LED's in them. Last year we had no shortness of light so this year will be even better (19 LED's per light). Nice thing about the 1157 bulbs is there is technically a high/low output to them. We have them rigged to switches that allow the high low settings to be used.

A vex style battery with charger will run you about $15-$35 depending on where you go and any sales that are running. Fleet Farm is one good place. Or any battery place such as batteries plus.

I will make sure to get some good photos of the entire setup once we are done with it this weekend.

There are a lot of really good ideas floating around on this thread. Everyone, keep posting what you have!

Gus,

that's EXACTLY what I have in mind! I bought two toggle switches to go with my 1157 sockets and am going to buy the LEDs on hsolist. I little cheaper there. I'm glad to see that the 19 LED application works. How many bulbs do you run?

How big of a shelter do you have?

I was at Gander in Forest Lake last night and picked up one of thier 6' rope lights for $7.99, they are currently on sale but like EVERYTHING at this Gander you have to do your own searching as nothing is mark very well. I also picked up a gel battery for $19.99, like steep but convienent. I think I will go back and get another one, also most of thier hunting clothes is on sale/clearance for 40-50% off.

Mike

Quote:

Gus,

that's EXACTLY what I have in mind! I bought two toggle switches to go with my 1157 sockets and am going to buy the LEDs on
hsolist
. I little cheaper there. I'm glad to see that the 19 LED application works. How many bulbs do you run?

We run a fish trap voyager which we used 2 to 4 lights in last year. Two will work just fine, but it's nice to have a little light behind you also. And we also run fish trap Pro's which we only used 1 light in last year. This year we went a little crazy and made two lights for the pro's. It's sure to be plenty of light.

I'm really excited about the high/low (fishing/line tying) switches.

Wow...this is a long post. I skimmed through the whole thing hopeing to find something about a lantern shield/reflecter so a guy could hang a lantern in his pull-over style fish house without burning a hole in the roof. If this was already mentioned in the post I missed it. But does something like this exist? And if so, I assume they are at Gander or Fleet Farm? Thanks.

Quote:

Quote:

Gus,

that's EXACTLY what I have in mind! I bought two toggle switches to go with my 1157 sockets and am going to buy the LEDs on
hsolist
. I little cheaper there. I'm glad to see that the 19 LED application works. How many bulbs do you run?

We run a fish trap voyager which we used 2 to 4 lights in last year. Two will work just fine, but it's nice to have a little light behind you also. And we also run fish trap Pro's which we only used 1 light in last year. This year we went a little crazy and made two lights for the pro's. It's sure to be plenty of light.

I'm really excited about the high/low (fishing/line tying) switches.

COOL! I'm fired-up to hear that this is gonna work! So, what kind of battery did you use and how long did it last with two/four lights?

Thanks again!

Gus, Thanks for the info. I didn't even think of Fleet Farm. I called them and they have a battery and charger combo for $16 bucks and goes on sale tomorrow for cheaper.

I look forward to pictures when you are setup. Only problem is I can't decide what setup to use with all the great ideas in this thread.

Battery life- We have never run out of battery using the standard vex style. Usually we would make it out Friday, Satruday, and at least one evening mid week and then throw it on the charger for the next weekend. Never did a complete run down test, but I can pretty much guarantee you won't have a problem with a weekend of fishing.

Gus-

Can you post the maker and other info of the sockets you used, that would be great. I can see a lot of benefit to what your doing. I don't understand the high/low switch either. Is there additional wires to the socket that allow for you to dual wire this? Maybe a photo to show this.

For others- I went to Catco which bought out American Semi Parts and looked for lights and they have all kinds like Deephole bought, but they are more expensive than what he paid ($70) and thats with my company discount. Also tried NAPA and its the same deal there price wise. I would try the truck stops or Peterbilt for these lights for better prices.

The socket I think is made by "Niehoff" Part number PS34240 and it's just called a "universal socket". It fits a variety of bulb sizes including the 1157 bulbs which are commonly used on trailers. I found it in the automotive/trailer section at fleet farm where they had several different types of universal sockets.

Since this is a automotive socket it is designed to be grounded by the frame of the car or trailer. There are two wires coming out of the socket but they are both for the positive leads. One acutates the "low" or running light and the other actuates the "high" or brake light. You don't need to wire for both but you can if you choose. You just need to wire the ground or neagitive lead from the battery to the socket itself and choose one, or both of the positive leads to use. I'm trying to upload another picture to show this but image shack is giving me fits right now. I'll see if I can edit it in or post it later.