• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lighting for portable

Dano2

i use push lights that they sell in menards that poeople usually use in there closets, where u push on the light and it turns on, i put two of them in there with velcro on the back of them, they r cheap around 4 dollars a peice and u take them down after every use so they never break, and they give off plenty of light

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The great part about the LED (Truck) dome lights, they are very solid, and they fold down right with the unit and are protected by the fabric of the fish house, No more messing around with where you put them or forgeting them at home, they are allways there, you can run them off of a spare 12v batt. or a jump starter unit, make some long cables and run them off of your truck. Like I said they only draw .03 amps and I've ran mine for 3 days on one batt. without a charge or even notice them getting dim. At $17.00 each, think of all the AA, AAA, D, C, or whatever size batteries a person would be buying.

captkev-

I like your idea. I've been using a lightbulb socket, 12V lightbulb and a large rechargeable deep cycle battery. I works great, but the battery can get heavy. I think I'll look into your idea as well. Anyone know of any Truck stops near Maple Grove? I'm new to the area. smile.gif

There was no package with the light and it has nothing marked on it, SORRY. But I run them on my spare Vexilar batt. Camera batt. you know the small gell cell 12v that runs most if not all electronics.

The Truck Stop in South St. Paul is called Stockmans. There is a Peterbuilt dealer right there too. I think there is a Mack dealer south of 694 on 35 south, I could be wrong on that, other than those there are Truck Stops on 94 east into Wisconsin at mile 19 for shure and going north on 94 there is one in Hasty...? (spelling) a big one in Clearwater, There might be a new one in St.Cloud I got mine in Sauk Centre.

If your neer Willmar try Nelsons International off of 12

There is a Mack Dealer in Mankato... Maybe one south of Egan off of 52(52?) I think thats the hwy number, I don't know, I just know where I'm going grin.gif

captkev

I had the same thought run through my head a day or so ago. I have a few 7-amp batteries new from electronics I had hard wired in my permanent I sold and was wondering if LED lights would work with these batteries.

Truck stop and parts houses for semi is a great lighting outlet. Like you said everything is quality, sealed, and ready to go smile.gif

Ok, now I have a question. For you guys that have done this, or for those planning on doing this, will I (we) need to buy the LB1 light bar from superbrightleds for $18 or would the LB2 work well enough for only $10? The difference is the LB1 has 5000 mcd, and the LB2 has 4000 mcd (whatever mcd means, I'm guessing it's a measure of brightness).

Do you think the LB2 would be bright enough? Also, would everyone recommend the white lights, or something like amber or red, to reduce the "harshness" of the light?

gill man

One thing I bought last year but have yet to put it up is a LED trailer light. My plan is to have a bright/dim switch by using brake lights for bright and normal taillights for dim. That is if a 30 LED tailight can be dim! Maybe I'll get it done this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Just ordered some LED for my Otter. Should brighten the place up a little. Thanks for the tips should make the install go nicely. I wish this topic would have been up a few years back when I rewired my house on wheels. But I guess the system I put in there works good too just a little more battery draw.

Quote:

Ok, now I have a question. For you guys that have done this, or for those planning on doing this, will I (we) need to buy the LB1 light bar from superbrightleds for $18 or would the LB2 work well enough for only $10? The difference is the LB1 has 5000 mcd, and the LB2 has 4000 mcd (whatever mcd means, I'm guessing it's a measure of brightness).

Do you think the LB2 would be bright enough? Also, would everyone recommend the white lights, or something like amber or red, to reduce the "harshness" of the light?

gill man

LED INTENSITY

The unit of measure commonly used to describe LED intensity is the millicandela (mcd), 1000 millicandela equals 1 candela. Candelas measures how much light is produced as measured at the light source.

The candela is the Luminous Intensity, in a given direction, of a source of monochromatic radiation of frequency 540 × 1012 hertz and that has a radiant intensity in that direction of 1/683 watt per steradian.

The unit of measure commonly used for most other light sources is the Lumen.

Lumens are units of Luminous Flux and they measure how much light actually falls on a surface.

The Luminous Flux (lumens) from a light source is equal to the Luminous Intensity (candelas) multiplied by the solid angle over which the light is emitted, taking into account the varying intensities in different directions.

So you can see that it is not a simple matter to accuratly convert millicandelas (mcd) to lumens .

If you can figure that out you're better than me. laugh.gif

I just order 3 enclosed LED lights(13 bulb) with 260,000 mcd output each. I'm thinking that should light up my Otter Lodge pretty well. I'll be putting it all together next week.

I have one of the LB2 that I use in a fishtrap pro. It works well in that size of house. I do need additional lights for tying on hooks and other fine work.

I recently installed the 'new' rope led's from the Clam Corp. inside of my double-wide otter. I didn't think there was enough light, so I ordered the superbright LB1 LED light strip too! (I tend to go overboard sometimes). smirk.gif Anyway. I'm thinking that now I may need to run these off of my marine battery instead of my extra flasher battery. Or, the smaller one will maybe last for one day before having to be re-charged. Only one way to find out I guess, I'll have to try it out! grin.gif

That sounds like what I did. I went to Fleet Farm (you could co to your local auto parts store) and bought two tail light sockets for $2.79 a piece. I used self taping screws to secure them to the supports in my Otter and wired them to my motorcycle battery.

I put some 1157s in the sockets. You could perform surgery in there! I'm going to get the LED tail lights. I'll post pictures when I'm finished.

Quote:

There was a post a while back about making your own light from the "super bright leds"
HSOforum
. I did that and it works great, I made a 12" light and wired it in a clear plastic tube with the small black connectors attached so it can be put right on the conduit frame of the portable. No more lantern and a nice bright light. Very cheap and easy, just how we all like it!!!!

Yeah here is my original posts about my LED solution!

HERE!

Quote:

I recently installed the 'new' rope led's from the Clam Corp. inside of my double-wide otter. I didn't think there was enough light, so I ordered the superbright LB1 LED light strip too! (I tend to go overboard sometimes).
smirk.gif
Anyway. I'm thinking that now I may need to run these off of my marine battery instead of my extra flasher battery. Or, the smaller one will maybe last for one day before having to be re-charged. Only one way to find out I guess, I'll have to try it out!
grin.gif

I ran both my Vex and two 12 inch led strips for 14 hours straight with Zero problems. If you are worried about losing power buy another gel battery. They are only 20 bucks!

I can post pics if you guys need them! Don't forget to add a resistor or your new light will go BOOM!

BTW I have the Otter Lodge and 2 of these light bars are more then enough light and the "color" of the light is EZ on the eyes!!!!!!!!

Go Goph's-Better Dead then RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

O.K., so from what I can gather from the HSOforum, these bars are 12" long and all the lights are fixed onto the bar and wired together with a tail that you attach to the vex battery? You guys are putting them into the tube to protect them from abuse and keep them dry? How are you connecting to the vex battery? something to allow a quick disconnect I assume, but whats working so far? How much light is one of these bars putting out, similar to a lantern, more, less?? Are you using just standard trailer lights wire to run from the vex battery to the light bar. These seem to be a good idea if they put out similar amounts of light as a lantern. I like a fair amount of light. The rope lights that Clam had last year seemed pretty dim. Thanks for the help.

Quote:

That sounds like what I did. I went to Fleet Farm (you could co to your local auto parts store) and bought two tail light sockets for $2.79 a piece. I used self taping screws to secure them to the supports in my Otter and wired them to my motorcycle battery.

I put some 1157s in the sockets. You could perform surgery in there! I'm going to get the LED tail lights. I'll post pictures when I'm finished.

This is the same way my Dad wired his 8x10 moe than 25 years ago, they worked great, but here is the down side...

They draw alot of juice from the batt. I remember as a little lad, dad had to fire up the truck every couple of hours. And the bulbs get HOT !!! This can cause a meltdown on your fabric in a portable frown.gif

Quote:

Quote:

I recently installed the 'new' rope led's from the Clam Corp. inside of my double-wide otter. I didn't think there was enough light, so I ordered the superbright LB1 LED light strip too! (I tend to go overboard sometimes).
smirk.gif
Anyway. I'm thinking that now I may need to run these off of my marine battery instead of my extra flasher battery. Or, the smaller one will maybe last for one day before having to be re-charged. Only one way to find out I guess, I'll have to try it out!
grin.gif

I ran both my Vex and two 12 inch led strips for 14 hours straight with Zero problems. If you are worried about losing power buy another gel battery. They are only 20 bucks!

I can post pics if you guys need them! Don't forget to add a resistor or your new light will go BOOM!

BTW I have the Otter Lodge and 2 of these light bars are more then enough light and the "color" of the light is EZ on the eyes!!!!!!!!

Are you saying put an in line fuse on the Hot wire,

does one REALLY need it with the use of the 12V 7amp batt.?

i wonder if I should order 2 of them LB1's. Maybe I'll get the one, and if need more, head out to the nearest truck stop, and check those lights out.

thanks

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

smirk.gif
grin.gif

Are you saying put an in line fuse on the Hot wire,

does one REALLY need it with the use of the 12V 7amp batt.?

i wonder if I should order 2 of them LB1's. Maybe I'll get the one, and if need more, head out to the nearest truck stop, and check those lights out.

thanks

No a resistor.

Read HERE!

and more then you need to know but.... Here too!

Not a fuse. It's a 1/4 watt resister. Stop by radioshack or simular palce and they'll have them in stock.

Satnu,

They circiut boards we're using already have resistors incorporated. Do you really need an additional one inline?

I have a 6 foot rope light from cabelas and it lights pretty nice but wanted just a little more for my fish trap voyager.Today at the ice show I bought a clam 3 ft led rope light from one of the venders and with the two not so bad.Enough to fish with,but to retie some lines and hooks,I might have to hook up my 12v bulb light which makes it very light,yet maybe to light for fishing.I dont like it to light in the house for angling as the light might light up the hole to much.The light from cabelas seems to be some brighter than the clam.I talked to a clam rep and he said they reduced the lenght from 6 feet to 3 ft. and the new ones have resistors in the line,thats fine but I think a loss of light.I believe 2 from cabelas are much better than the clam ones but they do work.I was a little disappointed with the new clam ones.Maybe instead of the 12v light,I could just use my headlamp to retie lines,then I think the 2 lights would be great.

I just got back from Grand Forks Scheels AllSports. They have generic 6'rope lights with about 50 LED's and a 12' cord with alligator clips for $9.95 ! . I bought two and am going out to try them in the house now. They worked great in the store (unlike others I've seen)