• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Plowing a large area with a wheeler

Ryan_V

I'm looking at getting a plow for my big bear 400. I have a large area to clear and I'm wondering if a 4 wheeler will cover it. i don't have a long drive way...Off of the road, my driveway is about 100', then it opens up into my building site around all my buildings. I'd guess I have a total of an acre or and acre and a half area to clear, I'd like a plow, but have doubts if it will cut the mustard for a large area like I have. thanks for the help from you guys who know!!

I wouldnt be worried about the power part either. I have a 5 footer on my 330 mag polaris and have had no trouble, I even moved a bunch of gravel on my driveway with it this fall. the biggest part with a area that large will be getting a pattern down for clearing the area.

Get the 5' plow. Have a 4' on another ATV and it's NOTHING like the 5' for performance.

Don't worry about power. You have plenty with a 400cc motor. Low range is a plus. I don't have low range on my Foreman 450, but it sure plows with ease on a lot of driveways...uphill, downhill, large areas, small areas, you name it...love it. Don't short change yourself.

I have the Polaris county style blade on my 400 Sportsman, and that thing will push an amazing amount of snow, even more so once you get the first pass made and you get a pattern going. With a little speed, you can reall shoot the snow down into the ditch quite a ways. I think my blade is 56 inches. I highly you suggest you get the 56 or 60 inch size so the blade extends beyond the width of your tires.

My neighbor has nearly a half mile of driveway, and I can get her opened up in four passes in no time flat.

The only time I have some tough going is when the snow gets drifted and hardened by the wind. A few passes with a shorter bite and I am going again.

I think I'm going to look at a 50" "county" style plow. Talked to my dealer, and he recommended if I want a 60" plow, not to get the county style, he said the larger 60" would work the machine a little harder than I'd like. any other ideas???? thanks for all the input so far!!

I personally would get the 60" straight blade.You will easily push the 5' blade,and you will save yourself alot of time.A 50" blade might not even clear the width of the wheeler's tires when the plow is angled,making it harder to push the snow with less traction.

I don't want to disagree with your dealer but there opinions vary one to the next also. a dealer close to me used to plow his lot with a old 250 machine. anothe one told me that its getting to be overkill with the size of the machines now it wasnt long ago when the 400 was the big machine. Get what you want but I think you will regret not getting the bigger plow if you go smaller.

swampman...I'd like a 60 incher, I was told that the regular 60inch would be fine...but the county 60 inch might be too much....think they are right, or would it handle a 60 inch county???

Your wheeler will handle the County plow as well.The weight is the only signifagant difference.I had a straight blade,and went to the county style plow,but the only thing the county style does better is making higher windrows.I would just go with the regular 60" as it should be cheaper,and there is not much of a difference in performance of the 2 plows.

just broke down and bought the country 5' plow for my polaris 500--tried it out last night and wow -is that nice. Wife not happy tho but since the plow truck had 3 trees land on it during the deer season wind storm--this is better than shoveling--

Thanks for all the advice guys, I ordered a 60" american eagle plow. only trouble is that the mount is back ordered from the manufacturer. I was thinking about having him order me a moose 60" instead, since they have no idea when the mount for the eagle will be sent... any ideas??? is the moose comparable to the eagle or is the eagle better?????

My brother used to work for Cycle Country in NW Iowa. When I bought my Rancher 350, I called and talked to them. If money isn't a big deal, the 60" State plow is the one to get if you have a big area or want it done fast. I even tried one out and they were right. I have enough sidewalk around my property that I can't use the 60", so I had to settle for the 50". By the way, using their new hook up system, all you do is drop 2 hitch pins, the system comes off, and you back over the bars. Hook up is same way. Very fast and easy.