• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lund vs Alumacraft

Double Barrel

Question

I'm currently boat shopping and would like some info. I'm leaning towards a Alumacraft 175 Navigator w/115 EFI Johnson or a Lund 1700 Angler SS w/90 or 115 EFI Johnson. The question I have is, does one of these boats handle rough water better than the other? Are the rides any different? If it were you what would be your preference? I like the 1775 Pro V, but I think your talking another 4 or 5 gran. Is it worth that? Thanks for all your help !

24 answers to this question

DB
I've spent the last 2 months or so trying to decide on these exact 2 boats that your looking at. I'm looking at either the Optimax or a Johnson 4 stroke. Both 115. From what I've found is that these boats were very similiar in all aspects. I really don't think you could go wrong with either one of them. You probably won't find too many testimonials on the Alumic. 175 nav. because it is new to this model year. The Lund has such a great reputation and it's IPS hull is supposed to be the best in the business. With saying all that I have decided to buy a Crestliner 1750 FishHawk. It took me awhile to look at the Crestliner but once I did I fell in love with the lay-out, storage, fishability and looks. My recommendation to you is to check the Crestliner out and then make your decision based on what's most important to you in your new rig. Good Luck!

You are going to get 100 opinions from 100 different guys. I now have a Lund ProV 1800 and it's great. I'd suggest Lund or Crestliner, based on quality, features, resale. I'm just no an Alumacraft fan. I'm sure they work great and people that have them love them. If you're picking between only Lund and Alum. I think it's an easy choice, Lund. I'd also suggest you buy the boat that fits your budget, rather than think you need to spend the extra for the PROV. During the non-fishing months you'll be pretty bummed out you've got that really expensive boat sitting there. The Angler is a great rig. Put it together how you like and catch fish. Put it this way, six walleyes in a PROV on opening day looks the same as in any boat.

I have an Alumacraft Tour. Pro 175 w/150 merc 9-9 merc kicker and am extremely happy with it! I fish Mille Lacs alot and have never had a problum. It does come down to personal preference. I like the lay-out of the Alumacrafts versus the Lunds. I also like the looks of the Alumacraft I have fished in both boats and can say I realy didn't notice much of a difference in the way they handle in "rough seas". The only difference is the price tag, that is another reason I went with the Alumacraft. If money wasn't an issue I would be in a Ranger, but that is another topic. Good luck with your decision.

Good Fishing!

I bought a 2003 Alumacraft Tourney Sport 175 last year and it is the biggest pile of junk I have ever owned. It's a good thing the trailer tires were good as they put a ton of miles on them back and forth to the dealer for repairs. Nice layout of the boat though when I actually got to fish out of it.

DB: Have you considered a pre-owned rig? A few years ago I wanted, what to me was my dream boat, a 1775 Pro-V Lund. No way could I afford a new one off the showroom floor. Every manufacturer of watercraft has a Pro-Staff. They use these rigs for one or two years and then sell them. You can find what you want for 2/3rds or less of what new costs. These are good rigs, used yes, but the Pro-Staffers that use them have to make their living using these rigs, so maintainance is top notch. I have never regreted buying mine. These are fully rigged units. Good Luck.

I'm curious as to what problems you guys have had with Alumacrafts? I'm not in the market for a new boat right now, but have a 1991 185CS Competitor and it's been a great boat. Handles the rough stuff beautifully, and is a very strong, well-built boat as far as I can tell. I like Lunds too, but would have a very hard time justifying the extra $$. My mom and step-dad have a Crestliner Eagle (21.5" walkaround cuddy) with a 115-hp Johnson Ocean Runner that they use all the time in saltwater down in Ensenada, and I'm pretty impressed with that boat too. That welded hull is pretty sharp!

Geez, Lip Ripper, are you running this boat on Lake of the Woods at full bore?? Sounds like the dealer is a major component to your issues. Your dealer sounds like the one I dealt with before, and I can relate.

DB-
I was tossing around the same question last summer, just on different models. When you get right down to it, it all boils down to personal preference. There were some features that I liked on both the Alum. and the Lund (I was looking at the Tour. Pro. 185 and the 1800 ProV tillers). In all honesty, I could have flipped a coin and been happy either way. I then came across a demo (pro-staffer) '03 1800 ProV and saved thousands. If you don't want to shell out the big bucks for a brand new boat, this route is not a bad option. Only problem is you may have to wait until fall to find a demo. In my opinion, either choice will meet your needs. Good Luck.

------------------
fish smarter, not harder

I've owned 2 Alumacrafts and liked them both. Got lots of friends with Alumacrafts and Lunds and none of them have any problems or complaints about their rigs. I don't think you could go wrong with either of those boats.

For me, I prefer the look/features/layouts/finishes in the Alumacrafts better than the Lunds. Combined with the lower price tag that was enough to get me to buy my first Alumacraft. Liked it, so when it was time to move up I got another Alumacraft.

The only thing I'll disagree with is the Lund guys saying their boats have better resale. Their boats cost more off the showroom floor, so why shouldn't used Lunds sell for more than used Alumacrafts? I think the higher priced Lunds HELP hold up the resale value on Alumacrafts - my friends and I have done very well on the Alumacrafts we've sold. For example, a guy who wants to spend $10k (or whatever amount) on a used boat will probably get more boat in a used Alumacraft than in a used Lund.

Just my opinion. Good luck.

I own a lund, was trying to sell it, but decided to keep it.(duh! Fiance told me too!!!)
Seriously, it's a fantastic boat! Have a couple of friends with Alumacrafts. Seemed to have little to no difference...but both said after being in my Pro Angler that they wished they had mine. Part of it might be the 4 stroke also.
That would be my recomendation to you...no matter what boat you get, look into a four stroke. I have saved HUNDREDS this past summer on gas and oil alone. Take that out over 5 years and you have already covered your cost!! Let alone the quiet, smoke free, ease of starting!!!

[This message has been edited by Hammer em' (edited 01-20-2004).]

I was doing some serious shopping last summer and the boats you talk of were in my top 4. When all was said and done I decided when I bought one it would be the Lund. The hull is dryer and better handling. As stated the resale is much better with Lund.

I have a '03 Alumacraft Toun. Pro 175 with a 90hp 4 stroke Yamaha. Great boat, have had no problems at all. Friend bought the same boat, only problem was a cross threaded gas tank vent cap. Previously had a '95 170 Alumacraft Competitor and never had any troubles with that either. The T-pro is longer and about a foot wider so handles rougher water better than the Competitor.
No experience with Lund but no worries about them either. Seem to have similar offerings but also cost a bit more.

Tour.Pro,

I had my windshield entirely replaced 2 times not to mention having them repair it and put it back in place a few times as it popped out. I have had the drivers side console replaced twice as it started to crack. Rod locker put bolt put a hole through a handle in a G-loomis. Elecrtical connections under the dash went haywire. Had to have the power trim switch replaced on my Johnson 4-stroke only to have a dealer replace in in correctly as my boat would not start after that so I had to being it back there AGAIN only to tell me that they had made a mistake in the way they replaced it. Trailer lights shorted out and then proceded to melt some wires under the dash of my truck. I Did get to use my 2 dollar hat they gave me for some butt wipe this weekdnd while up ice fishing. I could keep going on but I will quit there. Needless to stay, the whole thing as been a nightmare.

Now, there is a recall on my motor, have had to have my cover repaired due to the windshield cutting a hole in it and I think I would be drier riding in a canoe out on the ocean. Anyone else had problems with theirs?

Lip RIPPER,

Wow! What a nightmare. I'm sorry you had a bad expierence with your Alumacraft.

I have owned two Alumacrafts. The first was a 1993 Dominator w/75 Merc The second is my Tour. Pro. I have never had a proublum. I have several friends that own Alumacrafts they have also had good luck.

This is a great time of the year for boat shopping. The shows will be starting soon. Get out there pick up the brochures, get the facts, look the boats over and compare.

I also would like to add that I sold that 93 Dominator in 1999 for $1000 less than when I bought it. They, like any boat that has been well taken care for has a good resale value

Dear Fargin...merely a personal preference as seen after my post some people love the Alumacraft, I bet they are fantastic boats. Heck, my last boat was a Smokercraft, worked fine but my boat now happens to be a Lund. Chevy, Ford, we all have personal preferences. My wife is brunette, that doesn't mean that anybody with a blonde wife or girlfriend has an inferior mate, in my opinion. I'll say this, if you look at the Pros who get free or subsidized boats or just use it to make their living what do they have? I've never seen certain brands at a PWT event. That could mean that brand does not have a program for pros or that the boat is of lower quality. I'm not a pro fisherman, I fish for fun, I've had fun in Alumacrafts, Smokercrafts, Sylvans, Lunds, Crestliners, canoes, Chris Craft launches and even in 12' duck boats. If I've foregotten anyone let me know and I'll make sure I mention them. Have fun browsing, shopping, negotiating, buying your new boat. It's a blast...until something doesn't work, then it's really fun!!! Did I leave by batteries in the boat this year???

Chuck, I do use my boat mainly on LOW but not at full bore in rough conditions. If I would have done that, I'm sure the one I own would have broken in half. I bought this boat in the Fargo/Moorhead area and that's all I am going to say about that.

I know Lip, I remember your post from last year. I've dealt with the same dealer, so I know what you are talking about. Have you talked to Vern at Alumacraft's HQ in St. Peter? You might want to.

I own a TPro 170CS and it gets me to where I need to go and back home safe with no major issues like you have experienced.

Lip Ripper,

I too am sorry you hads issues with Alumacraft. My experiences have been to the contrary. All good. With my older Alumacraft and my current TS 175.

Most of the "issues" you have had other than the wiringunder the dash (more information needed) and the windshield seem to be wither a dealer, motor, or trailer issue. How does a trim swith or trailer wiring refer to the performance of boat?

In refernce to the original post about which boat to select. Either way you won't go wrong. Both Lund and Alumacraft make a fine product (minus the little quirks that ALL NEW BOATS ENCOUNTER - EVEN RANGERS). The imporatnat piece is to find a dealer that you trust and pick the boat that best matches your fishing needs.

Remeber the lowest price isnt always the best. smile.gif

Lip Ripper - Why the Tracker Tundra? I dont want to bash, but wouldnt you be opening yourself up to even more issues. I saw one last night at the show, no way would I buy....

Vikes, Vern told me directly from there the factory there was problems with the windshields and they were working on a solution. On 3 different occasions this happened to me. I think it is a big problem when I had to bring it in at the end of the year again so that the problem would finally be "fixed" I don't think anyone would be happy to watch your drivers side console crack on two different occasions, watch your winshield pop out 3 times in some small, choppy water, and have some moron salesman and mechanic tell me that Alumacraft didn't design it properly and that is why is is happening. A properly working windshield is part of the performance and I didn't get it with this boat.

I guess if I wanted to buy a tiller or a side console, I would have, as mine operated as one most of the summer. I'm glad you guys have a had great luck with your boats. Somebody asked me about which one do I prefer and I am only stating what happended to mine. I put on over a 1000 miles in the short time I have had it so hopefully the wrinkles are all ironed out.

What types of lakes are you guys fishing and how much is your boat being used?

As far as Tracker, I got to ride in one last fall and is hands down more smoother, drier, and more comfortable than the one I currently own. I liked my Alumacrat in the showroom too until it was put in the water.

[This message has been edited by Lip RIPPER! (edited 01-22-2004).]

When you decide what kind of boat you want, then decide who is the best boat dealer who will take care of you.
The dealer is the final quality control that will determine if your boat runs great or burns up in your driveway like mine did do to faulty battery wiring at the dealer.
Talk to people who had good experiences with the dealers and ask the dealers if they are staffed with high school mechanics or qualified trained mechanics and technicians.
Good Luck!