• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

STOLEN SLED

Knotwood

This really bothers me. I see a sign on a guy's mailbox, in Duluth, just off the Martin Road, and it's got his phone # (591-0416) on it. Stolen- 2003 Ski Doo. Reward. This is so close to the North Shore Trail access parking lot, I figger some guy from down south nabbed it, only because a lot of the guys I stop and talk to are coming up north to ride. It is a REV model 600 H.O. with DPM, was black (not that it's gonna be black for long), stolen approx. Feb 12/13.

Any suggestions on how to get the word out?

You could do a search for snowmobilefanatics, hardcoresledder, dootalk, snowest, snowmobileworld and post the info in their forums. Or seach and of the classified sites like autotrader, sledcity, sledswap....etc.

I would think the chance at recovery is slim, but it's getting teh word out and some of those sites have stolen sled areas to post this kind of info.

Knotwood,

I assume by your term "guy from down south", refers to the Twin City area, am I correct? Why is it whenever something happens in northern MN that someone doesn't appreciate, someone from "down south" was the culprit?? I grew up on the Iron Range and moved to the Cities in order to get a job that was somewhat stable and paid a living and it really irks me when people from up north blame everything on those "guys from down south"!!!

Ole

Sorry to hear about the sled but I'm with Ole1855. What would even lead you to think it was a guy from 'down south?'

My guess is it wasn't. Everybody I know that heads 'up north' to ride usually has a full trailer. So I'm thinking if the sled was stolen, the thieves would have to have an open spot on the trailer or in the pickup to put the stolen sled. Why would you jeopardize your trip up north to ride by stealing a snowmobile?? There would have to be lots of thought put into it is all I'm saying.

I doubt it was a theft of opportunity and more than likely kids who knew that this sled was around and sat outside. I guess I don't know that for sure but I'm assuming.

Most of the sleds that are stolen and recovered, if I have read right, have been stolen by locals who have seen the sled sitting in a accesible place and took it for a joy ride, then abanded it when thru, just my obersavation on reading the news local papers.

I would think its more likely it was some kids. I work at a Juvenile Facility and we get a lot of snowmobile thiefs. I really cant see someone driving from "Down South" and steeling a sled. They usually have sleds or rent them.

If anyone from down south or anyplace else is looking to rent sleds try Twin Ports Rental and Recreation in Superior Wi. 5 minutes from Duluth and close to all the trails.

Our group had a sled stolen a number of years ago, it hadn't gone far 15 - 20 miles away, the best thing we did was to get out there and look for it and we found it a couple weeks later and from what I can remember, they hadn't done a thing to change the looks, back then we were tough enough on our sleds we put enough ' identifier ' marks on them to easily pick it out.

Hope they find it, even if it is a Doo tongue.giftongue.gif sorry, couldn't resist grin.gif

Mike

You think I am picking on the guys from down south? Why would anyone from up north come down here to ride? There is plenty of snow up north of here...It could be a local kid or someone out for a quick joyride. I thought about that before I posted. It would also appear to be a "possibilty" that someone could have seen it after missing the turn off to the access, that's why I thought it a "possiblity", mostly because it would be easier to sell a hot sled somewhere not close to where it would be noticed or ridden. I'm not a cop, but it bothers me when people can't leave someone else's things alone. I have no way of knowing how sleds are disappearing these days, just thought it would be nice to keep an eye out for other areas, too. I didn't post in Maine, or Yellowstone, it's gotta be somewhere close, I just hope the guy (or whoever spots it) gets it back. Sometimes you play percentages, sometimes you have clues. I know how I would feel, I've had four motorcycles stolen from locked places, not much fun. I did get a couple of them back, some by using diligence and by some local kids helping out. This guy's out a several thousand dollar machine. I'm trying to open a few eyes, I guess. What would you do?

I hate this. Seems like you cant ever have anything nice without someone taking it (even a lousy hitch cover, for example!).

Most of the thefts that I know about are locals. Exception would be ATV stolen from MN -guy received call from Texas sheriff - the thief had 6 stolen ATVs and was trying to get them across the border.

Knotwood,

Does the guy have his sled insured? I keep mine insured for that exact situation. In my opinion, if you have something worth several thousand dollars, why not spend the hundred bucks a year and keep it insured so you don't have to worry about being out several thousand dollars??

Just my .02

When I was in High School I knew a couple of kids that would drive around on weekends to the bars and scope out sleds to steal. They would see a pile of sleds parked in the parking lot and one of them would walk by and would always see one or more that still had the key in the ignition and they would take off on it and ride the tank empty abandoning it by the trail where it died or close to where their buddy in the truck could pick them up. One thing they did is always took the key when the abandoned the sled. Most snowmobile makes (at least 10 years ago) only used one or two different keys for all the sleds they sold. That way by having, for example, an Arctic Cat key they could start and steal any sled they wanted. I know when I lost my Polaris key I only had to try 5 different ones from the dealer to get a replacement. kinda makes it easy for someone to drive of on your sled doesn't it? By the way these guys started out just joy-riding and leaving the sleds. They eventually started driving the sleds out to a swamp near their home and parting the stolen sleds out...until they bragged about it and we turned them in.