• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have fished in two I.C.E. Series events this year and I have enjoyed myself in both. I am the type of person that loves competition. After fishing in these events I have learned that it is pretty much just a northern tournament. You have no chance at winning unless you get lucky and your tip-up goes up and you get a nice snake. In the last event the top two guys only weighed in one fish. If a guy weighs in one 7 pound northern the guy with 7 crappies and 10 sunnies doesn't have that great of a chance to win unless they add a northern to their bag. So a guy that catches one fish can beat a guy that catches 17 fish. I am not upset or bitter, I still like the events, but I am just not too fond of the scoring format. My suggestion for I.C.E. Series to think is a point system. Here is an example.

Northerns = 1pt. per pound (4lb. northern = 4pts.

Bass/Walleye = 2pts. per pound (4lb. bass = 8pts.

Crappies/Sunnies = 4pts. per pound (1 pound crappie = 4pts)

This is just an idea of how I think the events would be more competitive and more successful.

Thank You

Jess T. Kline

What about your suggested format on a lake up here, like Red for example.

One 15 lb. pike = 15 points

Seven 1 lb. crappies = 28 points

Not very fair since a 15 lb. pike is a lot harder to catch than 7 crappies! Great idea for lakes like 'Tonka though!

Bronco-

Here's another scenario. Both the Winni event this year and the Lake of the Woods event last year were won by Eelpout.

Its kind of hard to get a limit of jumbo perch that comes close to an Eelpout.

So if I were to game plan to win one of these things, I guess tip-up watching seams to be the way to go right now.

To each is own I guess./.... I am for one to get out and meet people and catch a few fish at these events.

I see the events as a place to learn, socialize and catch a few fish is just a bonus. Nice weather is a GREAT BONUS as well grin.gif

More than anything it is strategy on fishing these tournaments. True that it takes a nice 5-6# pike to help out with taking first prize, but then throw in a mix bag after that 1 pike limit and you put yourself in the forerunning to win the tournament. You have almost 6 hours to fish the tournament, strategy is key in getting your name at #1.

Have you thought about trying for some pike first and then going after a mix bag??

Ice series events are set up to be for fun and possibly learning possibilities. The plastic trophy is just that a plastic trophy. It would be a headache very quickly to try adjusting point systems for various lakes. Could we expect to have everyone agree what is appropriate for each lake? I don't think so.

I do understand what your saying. but I think having a 8 # pike win at Tonka, everyone had a chance to beat 8#.

Thanks for the suggestion Bronco.

I have wondered how people thought of the scoring in these contests, listen to suggestions and am always looking for ways to improve them.

The one point per pound scoring system works well for our open water multi species leagues where angles try for all the species. We assumed that most ice anglers would attempt the same at ICE Series events especially since you can use two lines. Set up your tip up for pike or eyes and jig for panfish or perch.

But like others mentioned before, these events are designed to be educational as well as just plain fun and not so much for the competition. You get a trophy for the biggest bag or the biggest fish. No money involved and the prizes are drawn so that you don't even need to catch a fish to win them.

This year no one has gone home without winning something, maybee not the trophy but at least a pack of lures.

I agree with many of you that this is an apportunity to get together, meet some fellow FMers, have fun, and I have done that so far. It just kind of bugs me that the guy with one fish beats the guy with 17 fish. Dennis, I did use two lines, one with a tip-up and fished for panfish and walleyes with the other. What I am getting at is that I should have just put up two tip-ups because without a northern I didn't have much of a chance. Even if the scoring doesn't change I still plan to fish in future FM events. There were some people that didn't go home with anything at the Medicine lake event.

That's impossible.

We had leftovers and drew every ticket. There were some tickes that went unclaimed however, so either they were not listening or they were not present...which you need to be in order to claim the prizes.

I agree that these events are not meant to be a big competition. If your ultracompetitive and want to win Big $ then this isnt the event for you.

Like any event you have to decide what you want out of it. If you want a plastic trophy then yes jig or put out a tip up for bigger fish. Its all in how you want to fish not the scoring. If your not worried about a plastic trophy than fish for whatever species you enjoy most in the given lake.

Ice Sieries events make it possible for everyone to get a prize even if they dont catch a fish. This is great for people new to IceFishing or youngsters. These events are not intended to be a serious competition. I enjoy meeting new people almost as much as I do the fishing. Sometimes more. Thats what keeps me going to them, seeing old friends and a chance to meet new ones.

Well, all I know is that since I was the one doing the drawing I can tell you with 100% honesty that ALL tickets were drawn. I know there were a number of numbers that were called that no one responded to. We can't help it if people are not listening.

Hey guys, I would like make a suggestion also that if this Series is just for fun and meeting past friends and new friends then thats what it should be. It still can be a competion but maybe there shouldn't be a first place, to some people that means it is a competion. I agree with the kid, but I also understand your points about the Series to, I fished the Medicine Event also and I set out and FISHED, I didn't just sit around and wait for a fish to come along. Some people have different opinions on fishing and that is fine but I think something could be done with the rules also!!! Like the kid said, I will also come over and fish the Series again it was fun and interesting, you guys do a great job at these events. I just figured I would throw in my .02 cents also!!! grin.gif

Quote:

I know there were a number of numbers that were called that no one responded to

That also could have been cause Northlander told you to be at the weigh in a hour late. grin.gif

Not trying to cause trouble, just giving a little credit to Northlander at our Burntside Event. All in fun! If you are going to these events merely for the prizes, then I think you are missing out on the whole point (or advantages) of these events. A little something called having a good time, making friends, and networking knowledge.

Check again Tom cause there was a turn out around 80-90 people you guys announced. Noway were there that many numbers drawn. I know for a fact that mine was not.

I'm not complaining cause I had a great time and learned to fish a new lake I have never been on. That's worth more than a novelty prize. But I think a few people were somewhat surprized when you guys stopped calling numbers and just called up the kids to load up on the leftovers. It seemed to early. Somebody lost a batch or something.

Yeah I was kind of surprised at the requirement to get something on a tip up to win. Some contests have different honerable for first fish or things like that. But because you are contained that wouldn't work well.

However maybe just an honorable mention for best in Panfish. Really thats all the plastic is about. Maybe seperate two catagories Large fish /small fish. It's all about the recognition not about the Trinkets. Or maybe we just have to suck it up and spend the morning watching Tip ups or settle with our own recognition that we did OK to get a mess of good Crappies and sunnies.

I appologize to those who were at any of the ICE Series events and did not win something in the drawings. We must have made a mistake somewhere... We certainly had enough prizes for every one who registered.

Other than making sure that all the tickets are drawn,

grin.gif any other suggestions on changes for next year?

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Thanks for the suggestions guys and sorry about your number not being drawn or missed whichever the case. We never planned on everyone at an event getting a prize.

What we really wanted to do our best with was to ensure all the kids did well with at least one prize or more if possible.

The prizes went to the kids and that's very important to all of us running the ICE Series.

Kids, family and friends having a good time, that's what it's all about.

Cheffrey maybe Quick put his Pepto bottle over your radio and thats why you couldnt hear me. Oh no I know what it was. I didnt finish my sentence with "Meow" so nobody paid attention! You know what I think I remember calling your number now. Ya I do. You would have won a set of Mag 10 Downriggers! Bummer dude those would have went great on your new boat! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

( Just so nobody gets excited, we did not give away any Mag 10s its just a inside joke)

As these events run pretty much on the fly and turnout is always a quetsion, I think Tom, Dennis, Rick, and everybody do a pretty bang up job. Maybe people don't realize what it takes to put one of these events together. I can tell you first hand that it's alot of work. There's quite a bit behind the scenes that most of you never see. None of us are paid for this mind you. We volunteer our time to try and make sure we keep with our motto. We Have More Fun. You can pay alot more at another contest not see a speck for prizes except for the winners circle. ICE promotes the sport, friendships, and the sharing of knowledge between fellow anglers. If you're just there for the prizes, I think Cheffrey said it best "You're really missing out". I'll take this moment to thank all of you who attended this years Burntside Bash. Although we had a hand in it, you folks are what made it the awesome event it is. Thanks!

Hey Rick, as I have stated before you guys do a really great job at these events, I think we are just giving you some suggestions is all!!! I don't think any of this was meant to upset anyone, just brought up for ideas in the future. grin.gif I will be back at the Medicine Lake event again next year with my buddies so this will not discourage me from coming back and having a great time!!!

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD FISHING!!!