• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best heater for one-man flip over house?

Finlander

Question

I use a Coleman propane lantern in my Fish Trap Pro. It's been working great, and I don't have any issue staying warm, even when it is sinfully cold outside (-10) or colder. I think I may upgrade to the buddy heater this winter, and go with some of those LED red lights for vision...

I have had a buddy heater for two years now and they are alright as long as your shanty is windproof and sealed at the bottom. I have found that mine will blow out easily if blown by a draft. Does anyone out there have any experience hooking up a larger tank to the heater rather than just the small bullet tanks. I realize how to hook it up, with the hose, but would you recommend doing this. It just seems like I am always burning through those small tanks and they are a pain in the butt just laying around. How long does one of those medium sized tanks last on a fill?

I run my Buddy Heater off of an 11lb tank all the time. Just pick up a 5' hose from Mr. Heater and you are set. The Buddy actually heats better off of the bigger tank. It will last quite awhile too. I know I can get through about 2 full days on the ice for sure.

I have got a buddy heater for my otter lodge. It allways seemed that it just wasnt enough heat unless you were fishing at above freezing temps. I was not happy untill I got the sunflower heater. I tend to like it to be toasty. Be carfull with the sunflower, Keep your door partially open for good ventalation. It will also melt the canvas in a heartbeat.

I think the buddy heater sells for around $69.00

and is indoor safe. At least that is what they claim.

In a one man house the Buddy would be the way I'd go. Yes the wind will blow them out so you'll want to seal the drafts but who wants to sit in a drafty house anyway. You can buy the hose and use a larger tank.

The Big Buddy is what I'll use to heat my Otter Lodge this year. Again use the hose and a bulk tank.

BTW the Big Buddy will except two 1 lb tanks but will run in all heat ranges with just one tank attached or one hose.

The buddy is going for around 70 as mentioned above. I thought I saw them for 59.99. I'd check around, there are bound to be deals on those with the Big Buddy out. Even 70 is down from what they were going for, I know I paid quite a bit more when they came out a couple years ago.

The buddy is all you need for a one man. I'm using a Big Buddy this year for my 2 man, but the buddy is plenty for a 1 man. You do need to keep them out of the wind.

Both have the option that you can use a hose with a larger tank (hose needs to be purchased separately) or you can use the 1 lb. tanks.

I agree, the buddy is the way to go. No worries about melting holes in places you do not want them! Paulin (sp?) aslo makes a very small sunflower type head that sits on top of a 1 pound bottle. It comes with a platform which the bottle sits in to keep it stable. They work great, are much smaller than your typical sunflower head, and give off great heat. The downside is that you still have a chance to melt things! Good luck!

Thanks for the input guys, the buddy heater is great for its lightweight portability, but I agree, it doesnt heat as much as I would sometime like. One of the posts brought up another question/problem I have had in the past. Anybody have any ways they like to keep their shanty windproof? I have an otter magnum(2 person)and if there isnt snow to pile around it, it can be tough to keep out that draft, especially from under the tub. Any ideas?

Most times a dual mantle lantern puts out plenty of heat for a one man. I carry a small sunflower heater that fits on a 1 lb. Tank for those times I need some extra heat. If your using some sort of battery operated light then your going to want to get one of the heaters suggested above.

I got my Dad a Buddy for using in his tent for deer hunting but it is just not wuite strong enogh for really cold ice fishing. Top btu is 9000. I use the mr heater/cooker that is 8000btu on low and 14000 btu on high. burns the small tanks and can hook up to the bigger ones.

I like it because of the frame to heat, and fry up the first cath of the season!!

Chiroeye (and others), I have had good luck keeping the draft out of portables when no snow is available using heavy chain. I use two lengths of chain to extend from the front center of the portable's snow skirt around each side. I use two lengths for easier handling.If I am using an Otter portable with an interior skirt along the sled, then I use a third chain. The two or three lengths of chain fit inside a one gallon paint can for ease of transporting.

dockehr

I am a big Mr. Heater fan too. I have the cooker with a 5 foot hose connected to five pound tank. I use it inside my Fishtrap Pro(single person) and it maybe takes about a minute, on high, to thaw a near frozen body. Once you start to sweat just turn the valve until it is almost shut. It still gives off good heat. The cooker is also nice because you can flip it up, in cooker style, so the heat is shot straight up and the ice doesn't melt.

And like everybody else has stated they can be dangerous if left unattended or propper precautions are not taken.

I've used Mr Heaters for years too. Why I don't like them is they are loud, burn dirty and require a large safe zone in the shack. Loebs, turning the valve down till almost off is a bad idea. Those sunflower heaters are made to burn at a certain minimal temp. When you drop that temp beyond its specifications by closing the valve they don't burn as efficiently and give off more carbon monoxide then usual. The safest way to deal with a Mr Heater thats to hot for the shack is leave it on low and open the door.

I've got a Buddy Heater and it's not quite enough for my 2-man Fishtrap, but I would think that it would be perfect for a 1-man house. I'd sell my Buddy Heater to you for $50 if you are interested. I live in Minnetonka, so it would be pretty close for you to come and pick up.

dan

I've used an 8,000 btu Dyna-Glo (a Mr. Buddy knockoff) for the last two seasons in my Fish Trap II. The Trap II is marketed as a two-man, but you've REALLY gotta like your partner to put a partner in it. It's small, if you know what I mean. I've fished in that shelter with the Dyna-Glo in 25 below temps and stayed warm. Since I don't have a zip-through door (the Trap II is older, before the USL Guide developed that option), I have to lose heat every time I flip up to get out, but chain inserted into the skirt and a bit of added fabric to the joint between the skirt and the hinged portion of the shelter have performed very well. No need to bank snow to keep a decent seal.

When traveling light or on thin ice, I just bring the 1-lbers. When in the pickup or pulling with an ATV or snowmobile, I bring the 20-lber. As stated before, it runs much more efficiently and puts out more heat. After a 1-lber is about half gone, it starts to lose pressure and efficiency, and when the heater's on the low setting and the small tank gets down there you really lose btus. The 20-lber solves that problem.

I'm not saying the Dyna-Glo is better than the Buddy. I've fished in shelters with both of them. It's just that I have more day-to-day experience with the Dyna. And what I just said for the Dyna goes for the Buddy too.

In a bigger two-man, those heaters might not be big enough, however.