• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Icefishing Reels?

Bob Horn

What are you guys useing? I was useing the Abu Garcia agenda Agulf but lost of my equipment at the end of last year. I will be going to the show this week to see what`s out there. I`m looking for a smooth drag number one.

I like Shimano Sedona, Sonora, Sienna in size 1000, 2000 (for the older models) and 1500 (for the newer models) for my ice fishing. All those mentioned above will cost around $30-$50 and should hold up fairly well unless you are hardcore and/or hard on equipment. Pair them with a St. Croix or Berkley Genz rod and you have a pretty decent setup that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

I don't care for the tiny reels for ice fishing for some reason. They don't feel as robust, the drags don't feel as nice, and the line seems to twist easier on smaller spools. I am not a fishing expert (hard or soft water) but I do like my Shimano's. It's the only brand of fishing reel I own.

I am glad that I am not the only one having problems with the line twisting on small spools. I tried for an hour last night using two different spools of line, and still haven't got it on good yet. I am going to take it to the bait shop tonight and have it spooled. Does anybody else ever has this problem.

bhorn-

I've heard some good things about the Tica Cetus reel. Heard enough good things that I picked one up for myself but haven't got to try it yet. Its really smooth, instant anti-reverse, nice single paddle crank. I think it might be my new favorite.

My other reels are older Shimano Spirex. They served me well. I've seen that new 750 size and that looks like a pretty nice little reel.

Pack- Most ice fishing reels dont hold a ton of line. If you have problems with the line a little twister, I just go out to my yard and put the line in the grass/snow and start walking.. when the line is gone I reel it back in. The line twist comes from the fact that the line is comming off of one size spool and going on a smaller spool.. it has absolutely nothing to do with the reel its self.

Good luck!

MJ5 showed me the Tica that he uses and it looks pretty nice. As far as line twist I walk mine out every 2-3 days. Got to keep the line in order you never know when the big one will hit. I had it happen last year 8lb. wally hit while I was dropping down my chubby darter for perch. SWEEET grin.gif

The Shimano 750 series reels are Sedona's, Senora's, Sahara's, and Symetre's. The only one they don't have is the Stradic in the 750 yet. I just baught the Sedona for about 35.00 and it has 3 ball bearings (2BB, 1RB). It's really smooth and should be a nice reel for Ice and Open water.

I hope this helps a little.

Corey Bechtold

Interesting- the 750's are the series- just like the 500! I get it...dah:)

If only $35.00 for a 750 Sedona- pass on all the Tica talk- that is a great buy on a quality Shimano reel.

Hope everyone else is reading this! THAT IS A STEAL OF A DEAL for a Shimano.

I have been using the Gander Mountain brand ice reels for the last few years and have had good luck with them. I think they cost about 15 bucks. They are medium size ice reels and thus are not tiny little things that are hard to get a hold of. Just my 2 cents.

I am a big fan of the Shimano Sedonna. I wish I knew where you guys were buying them for 35 & 40 bucks though. I only can find the new ones for $50 bucks. The Sonoras are around $40 price range. The difference in the two is Sedonnas have the Dynawobble and an extra rust inhibiting bearing on the 1500 series and up. The 750 both have 2 rust inhibiting bearings. All the reels have a roller bearing also.

I have also been looking at the Abu c100 & c101 series too. Looks like a nice little reel for around $30.

I use shimano symetre's in open water all year with 6lb test and just transfer them to my ice rods for icetime.PURRRFECT drag,no tangles,no binding even at -20 deg.Some people go with cheaper reels for icin but you actually need a better reel for ice than you do for summer.

You guys got me all excited at the 35 bucks for the reel. I went and looked at them, they where 49 bones. They seemed like a nice reel. I found a Cardinal 101 in my fishing stuff. I have never used it. I must have bought it at the end of last ice season. Darn it, I`ll just have to go to another fishing show. grin.gif