• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite/New Walleye Jigs..

Bob_D

So? What are your favorite jigs or what is new that you want to try?

I just picked up a bunch of new Hali and Nils Master jigs to try this winter. Last year I used moslty the Mepps Spinflex and Swedish Pimples. I'll post some pics of the new ones I got when I get some time to take a few pics.

bob-d did you ever use the spin flex for ice fishing.. I never thought about using if for ice fishing. Only summer fishing?

I am pretty new to the Scenic Tackle Go Devils... I know I live in a cave or something.. I waited way to long to try Ice Buster Bobbers too...But I am excited to try the Go Devils.

The new Rapala jigging shapraps are high on my list along with the Go Devils. I think I will catch more perch this year with the Go Devils. Tried them both in the bath tub last night. Did'nt catch anything but they looked awsome.

Angle Eyes are always a standard in my box so you could say they might be my favorite ice lures for walleyes and perch.

mw

Ill be putting the new Chubby Darters threw the mill this winter. The old ones were great so these should only add to the fun. Also if you havent used JR's tackles flasher spoons you need to try them out! The side blades give off flash and rattle and they bring fish in from a long way. Great for LOW eyes or the smaller glow red were deadly onRed Lake Crappies. www.JRstackle.com

I'll stick with last year's favorites in new sizes and colors.

Also the new size of Phelps Glow Spoon. Blue glow of course!!

Spoon.jpg

The Chubby Darter!! New Luminescent colors will be at the end of my stick a ton this Winter!

Bob_D,

I noticed those jeweled trebbles on the bottom 3 lures in the second column. Where did you get those? I have a bunch of jeweled trebbles like those that I special ordered from Sweden. Are those from scandanavia?

Brad

[edit] Oops, I just re-read your post and noticed you said they are the new Hali's. Those are from Finland, I believe.

LOL...Some of them. wink.gif I had most of my gear stolen a year ago, so I had to replace just about all of my jigs, all my tip-ups, auger, jigging rods, etc. Kind of suck setting up again. Some of the stuff can never be replaced.

Anyway...The blue and blacks are new for me this year. Black/gold, chartruse (sp?), hot pink, and glow were the ones I used the most last year. I'm really interested in trying the Hali Jiggers to see how the action is different (underwater camera).

Brad,

Yes they are from Finland. I'm not sure who carries then out your way. I'll look into it and let you know.

Bob I like the Nills heavy Jigging Shads too. Especially for river use. They are a good heavy vertical jigging lure to have handy. I do not carry that many but we share some of the same color preferences. Especially the upper right hand area of your photo.

Must have type "New stuff"? I am pumped to get the new colors of the Salmo Chubby Darter under the ice. The Glow will be down right dangerous! Tipped with a minnow head or larva they will do the deed on perch and walleye.

I used a few of the large Phelps Glow Spoons last winter and man do they "POP and GLOW". I will have to try the new sizes; they look good to me.

Ed,

I like the bigger ones when I'm targeting both pike and walleye. The ones in the lower right are WICKED heavy. I got them for lakers down deep, but they will double for walleye and pike too.

I fished the Chubby Darter with and without bait and found that they had roughly the same success rate. I fish them baitless now all the time.

Ed, are you talking the tall 1/4 oz. Phelps Spoons? They were our laker go to bait last year, and walleyes on LOTW loved 'em! The new glow red will be killer this season!

Yup, the heaviest Nills Shads stay under you well in the meanest of flows. I tip them on the rear single in current, or on the bottom on still water. They are so heavy they do not get messed up much by the added bait.

I do not tip Chubby’s with meat most of the time. I do add a scent option like Dr. Juice or Jack's spray on. I do well by just squishing a minnow or two into a mush and then smear it on the Chubby. With just the added wounded bait scent they appear to draw as many hits if not more because you do not mess up the lures action.

On the Junior Chubby a few larva on the rear treble has been hot for perch. The larva trail nicely and do not mess up the action much.

You Chubby Darter guys do not forget to check out the Gamakatsu G-Sting droppers. They are very handy on sneaky perch and bottom hugger walleye. I remove all the trebles and add the G-Sting to the rear eyelet. They do not tangle and are deadly on perch that like to hug the bottom or fallow and look. Depending on the larva size, I often pinch back the barb on the G-Sting so the larva stays nice and full. The G-Stings come in different sizes that work well on walleye and bigger toothy critters like pike.

I often add the Gamakatsu G-Sting to an Angel Eye's as a dropper and they do the job great. Especially if you have a situation where a jig-drop-&-drag presentation gets the bottom huggers attention. wink.gif

Bob_D,

No need to let me know where I can get them. I bought quite a few of those hand-made jewled trebbles from Lundgrens Fiskredskap in Stockholm two years ago. They are interchangeable with various hooks and small chains, and I put them on the jigging spoons I already have. They are fantastic little stingers and I can coax bites with these like no other lures. I've been meaning to go to Sweden to visit my relatives, and if I do I'm going to buy a mess of their ice fishing spoons (pirks) and jewled hooks. I really like the fact that they are hand made by old Swedish fishermen.

Brad,

It looks like Gander and Mills Fleet Farm carry those hooks. I think Sportsmans warehouse has the new Hali Jiggers as well.

Dan,

LOL....If you have seem my "collection" you would say that I win. wink.gif I have enough tackle to open a small tackle shop. My problem is, when I can't fish I end up going out and getting more stuf that I "need". grin.gif

i had a bright blue jig i got from the st paul ice expo. it was shaped like sideways triangle. i pulled alot of northens with it.

while fishing during the day a kid on a four wheeler ran over my tip up even with a cone next to it. i lost everything even the tip up.

i hope that booth is set up again i plan on getting one on sat

Dan,

What kind of bait fish are there where you fish? The blue combo's (blue/white, blue/silver, etc) and rainbow patterns work well on Champlain since there are a lot of smelt. We also have suckers, goldens, emeralds, spottails, yellow perch, etc. So, we really need to carry a lot of colors to be able to "match the hatch" so to speak. Some days they don't care to much, other days if you don't have the right combo then you might as well go home.

Most everyplace that has walleye in VT has yellow perch, so that is always a good pattern.

Nice picture of the new Glow Spoon Matt. It is going to be awesome on many species. I can't wait to use it on Panfish and Perch. I am running some up to URL tomorrow. Be safe on the ice, there isn't much out there yet.

Matt Phelps

Maybe I'm completely wrong on this but the jeweled trebles that BradB talks about I thought were called Hali Lahti's by Nilsmaster.

Yeah, Thorne Brothers sells them and they are called Lahti Chain Hook Jigs. Check out Thorne Bros. to get them. You can also buy just the chanin and the beaded/jeweled hook too, to attach to your favorite swimming jig or spoon.

hanson,

I checked out the Thorne Brothers site and, yes, those are very similar to the ones I got from Sweden. They also have the longer dropper chains that the Swedes called "tournament links". I didn't see them in the store when I was at Thorne Brothers last, but I do see them on the HSOforum. Perhaps they'll have them at the Saint Paul show.

I've been dressing all my lures with these hooks lately. I put them on spoons, and on shad type baits as well. That little multi-colored jeweled treble really seems to trigger the bite. I normally use the red color, but sometimes match the perch color with a perch colored jigging spoon.

Watching on a camera, there are many times that the fish will be slightly spooked by the blade. But with that dropper chain hanging down a few inches, they will often nip at it and can be caught that way. My experience on this is for both walleye and perch, but I'm sure it would work for other species as well.

Brad