• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boots

Iceman12

Question

I know I have seen posts about boots for ice fishing before but I can't find them. Wanting to get some new boots for ice fishing this year and was wondering about some different opinions? Let's hear them, thanks.

15 answers to this question

I bought the Baffin boots from Gander a couple years ago. They are extremely warm and easy to walk around in. I can sit with my feet on the ice for many hours and they still stay warm. Many others like the Lacrosse Ice Kings, but when you have a size 13 foot, those things are absolutely huge, it would be difficult to operate foot controls on an atv with the ice kings.

I go with old army issue (bunny boots / micky mouse boots) They aren't light but are real warm and I can get brand new for under a hundred. They have become my standard footwear for winter no matter where I go.

I use a pair of Rocky 'Barrow' Pacs. They're a pac boot built like the military bunny boots. A buddy of mine calls them my Herman Munster boots. They have a PolarTec liner, 1600 grams of Thinsulate and some type of material in the bottom that acts like a stadium seat. They're supposed to be good to minus 150 (walking). I've never even come close to being cold in them. They can actually be a little too warm, sometimes, if it isn't really cold out. laugh.gif

I have had great luck with Rocky snow stalkers. They are reasonably light weight, not too big and have always kept my feet warm. I would consider myself warm blooded and have never really had problem with cold feet or hands.

I had a pair of the white bunny boots for years and I loved them. They will keep your feet warm at any temp as long as you move around a little bit. Last year I bought a pair of Baffin. I used them once when it wasn't that cold but my feet were toasty.

I have a pair of the black mickey mouse (army issue) boots. I love them, they are nice'n warm and even get to the point were your feet get to warm sometimes (especially if its warm out and your moving around a lot). I also got some screws to drill into the bottom for my own ice cleats. Its a slick deal on bare ice.

Its also a great boot for snowmobiling, never have gotten cold feet yet.

Oh, and if you get cold feet just pour some really hot water into them and let it sit for a minute or so. Then dump the water out take a towel and dry the inside out and then you have a really warm boot again. wink.gif

I used some short and small self tapping sheet metal screws. I forgot the actual size of them maybe 3/8" or 1/2" I don't remember. I think put 5 screws on the back heel and put about 7 or 8 in the front part. They are sweet on bare ice.

The only reason I wont have them in my boots this year is b/c I use the same pair for when I go snowmobiling. And when you go snowmobiling with them screws in it just tears them right out I think last year I lost about 6 screws on the long way to the ice house one day. So from then on out I don't do it anymore. One of these days though I will get a pair for sledding and then have a pair for ice fishing. That way I wont have to worry about that problem anymore. smirk.gif