• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Where are the Otters?

Jeremy airjer W

last week I decided to check out the new Ice houses. My first stop was GM in forest lake. They had all kinds of clams, traps, and frabils, but no otters. So my next stop is Sportsmans Warehouse. Once again no otters. Next stop is Joes. You guessed it no Otters. Next stop Fleet Farm, yup no otters. Whats the deal! GM said they probably wouldn't see them until around Thanksgiving!! The money is burning a hole in my pocket with no Otter in sight. I smell a conspiracy, Lets not release our product until way later in the season so theres a mad rush to purchase and while demand is high maybe we will jack up the price smile.gif. I guess I'll wait for the Ice fishing Show and hope thier there and ready to wheel and deal. HAS ANYONE SEEN THEM ON DISPLAY ANYWHERE?

Same thing around Duluth. The shops tell me that it will be at least a week. If your in a rush check out www.otter.com or I recomend the Ice Show in St.Paul. You can usually get a decent deal and a cover or hyfax tossed in. Dont be afraid to bargain shop and have dealers mach or beat other prices.

I was in Cabela's several weeks ago. I thought I saw Otters there. Maybe they were old stock? confused.gif

Just like Christmas (marketing)...people are buying things earlier and earlier every year. Blame it on this web site, but my blood was pumping all summer, everytime I put auger ice in my cup at McDonalds! grin.gif

If Otter waits too long, they may be missing many potential customers. I bought my new Fishtrap already. Come on, I was busting down doors looking for portables 2 months ago!! laugh.gif

I've been drooling on the otter web site for about 2 months. I just about bought a fish trap last weekend. I'm really sold on the otter for its head room (being 6'4"), but on the other hand the Trap comes with the seats and trays and priced the same as the Otter tarp and sled alone. Its going to be a hard decision, but easier once I can see them side by side!!

Airjer - you hit the nail on the head. I had been waffeling on the competing shelters. Last year, all the things I wish I had in my 5 yr old Otter 2 man are now included in the new Fishtrap Yukon (trays, new padded seats) as standard features. So I went with it. Would of cost me an additional $200+ to buy new Otter and outfit.

Pure speculation but possibly Otter is making some last minute product or marketing changes to better compete with the competition. I believe the quality gap between the brands (over the last couple years) is getting smaller, too.

Next stop....St Paul Ice Show!

Off topic here, well, no its not.

Sitting in my deer stand opening morning, which happens to be right on the bank of a river, and I hear this horrific noise and commotion below me. A river otter jumps up onto the bank of the river with a 6-7 inch long fish in its mouth and starts chomping on it. 4 more otters climbed up on shore and started fighting for the fish. The first otter didn't give it up, finished its meal, and they all jumped back into the river and swam away. Amazing!

Just sent the check for my new Otter Magnum Lodge. Have a Trap Guide that I really like but its a bit to low for me. Im 6'6" so head room is a must. The Lodge is 6'5" at center so I can stretch my legs a bit in it. Couldnt do that in the Guide. The Otters are a proven dependable house. If you are going to pull your house with a sled or 4 wheeler get a Otter.

Come on Ice! tongue.gif

obviously you want an otter, nice choice. I was looking for one myself, then decided on a trap, for a few reasons, price included. I suggest you wait until the ice fishing show. Be a hard nose bargainer. Last year when I was seriously considering buying an otter, I went to one dealer and told him the options I wanted, he quoted me almost $700. I went to the next dealer, the next and the next...etc. by the time I was ready to leave, I was getting the whole setup including house (Lodge), cover, runners, nice seats, rod holders, hitch, for $500 including tax, out the door. Keep bargaining and moving from dealer to dealer, it pays off!!

Quote:

I've been drooling on the
otter
web site for about 2 months. I just about bought a fish trap last weekend. I'm really sold on the otter for its head room (being 6'4"), but on the other hand the Trap comes with the seats and trays and priced the same as the Otter tarp and sled alone. Its going to be a hard decision, but easier once I can see them side by side!!

Actually I was in the same dilmea, but went with the Otter and purchased a bench seat for it. Glad I spend the extra $$$. I have a Fish Trap Pro and I have gone through 2 sleds. The Otter sleds are built with a tough material on their sleds and the bench seat I think is much more comfortable than the single seats!

If you can see for yourself, you'll see what I'm talking about!

Was at G.M. in Forest Lake yesterday and was told they thought a week or two before they get them. They had a couple of last years but no new ones. Was at Fleet Farm in Oakdale today and they had some but they looked like last years too by the condition of the boxes.