• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best thing about your "spot"

jlm

So what is it about a piece of hunting ground? I am so in love with my area that I would not trade it for any hunt anywhere else...not even with the big money outfitters. Maybe it is my family connection to the area or guiding others to hunts that put smiles on their faces. Maybe its my dad lighting up at the sight of old mossy horns? Maybe it the peace and quiet? Maybe its the chance to outwit the turdy pointer at any given moment? Maybe its the eggs and sausage for breakfast and the hot coffee? Maybe its all of that...I suspect it is. How about others, what makes your "spot" a special place to be? Sound off time!

Well this year I hope that special moment will be a loud echoeing voice coming from the direction of my 13 year olds stand. "Dad, I think I got it!" grin.gif

Last year he paseed on 3 seperate deer.

Right now hunting for me means 5 days spent with three of my best friends. We are all either 29 or thirty and 3 of us have been friends for over 20 years. Three of the 4 are married with children and do not get to spend as much time together as we did years past. Deer hunting is the only time of the year that we all make a point to be there. The area we hunt is limitless in possiblities. We have 40 private acres with thousands of state on three sides. We all have our main stands, but are almost always sure to try a new place every year. The comforts are few but the comradere is limitless. Friday can not get here fast enough.

One more thing about our place. Thanks to help from BL Bass we got some plots in this year. We do not have a lot of growth yet, but the potential is there and the excitement is high.

Hey JB,

Thats BLBa$$. Get it right man! grin.gif

Whats so neat about our hunting spot?

One thing to me.

History!

My family homesteaded the property that my Dad currently owns. The stories about Great Grandpa sitting by the old grape vine behind the barn every year.(that darn grape vine is still there today).

The spot where my Dad shot his first deer at age 12. (He is 56 now)

The deer my uncle shot as a young hunter, and it took 3 guys to drag it out. The antlers were lost many years ago.... frown.gif

Stuff like that is just so neat in my book.

Not the best hunting in the state, but far from the worst hunting in the state.

When this property is passed down to myself and my siblings, it will NEVER leave our family name as long as I live, and I hope that my children feel the same way as they get older.

My son is 7 years old, and we built him his first permanent deer stand a few weeks ago. A nice stilt stand overlooking a chunk of our corn field and some great bedding areas consisting of pine trees and grasses. He just can't stand the fact he has several years to go.

I LOVE THE EXCITEMENT IN HIS VOICE.

Our farm is the best hunting spot in MN. cool.gif

My wife has only hunted two years now,still has not got that first deer.This year I built a new enclosed stand for two hunters.So the best thing about my spot this year is maybe I'll see my dear shoot her first deer!!

Be safe-good luck!!

History, been in my family for 70-80 years. My grandma was born across the road from there & moved there as a child where she lived until age 82 or something like that when she moved into assisted living in town, now my uncle lives there. My cousins & brother & I, all grew up hunting there, it's home. Also we almost always shoot a bunch of deer, hear a bunch of good jokes, etc. Hearing the stories about the deer Uncle shot on this drive or that drive, or the one that Dad missed that was a monster & everybody, but me got to see it run away.

My dad has 70 acres and it is just nice to know we have our own chunk of woods.

I am real excited about my new deer stand, it is on a ridge that you can see alot of prime area. It is on a 400 acre piece of state land that was thought of as unaccessable before since there is a river along the whole one side with no bridge. I found a spot to drive through the river with my wheeler. I think this is where they hide all day before coming into the fields thirty at a time at night.

I'm in big buck country!

Ryan

Best thing about it? Let me count the ways!!!

180 acres our own land. Sourrounded by state land (huge numbers of deer) on all side but one, and that side is owned by more family and friends of the family.

No way in to our land but through miles and miles of swamp. Only a hand full of people have gotten into our land from other then the road, and they were all looked like they had been shot and left for dead.

One in fact had sat down (after 10 hours of walking) and was ready to die in the swamp, luckily one of our guys had forgotten something out at his stand, and went out on the wheeler. How lucky he was!!!!

Is it Junior cooking bacon & eggs every morning?

Is it my dad making his world renown meatloaf?

Is it MadDog's RAW ribs?

Is it the Bushwackers playing cards?

Is it the "BOOZE Brothers" coming home from the local establishments?

I could go on and on, all I know is I love it and would not miss it for the world, and that I am sure the list will have it's addition from this year!

I'll be sitting in a two person stand with my oldest son and his .243 hoping I get to share his first deer with him. Then I'll get the chance to use my new Tikka .300WSM. Good luck to everyone and don't forget to think about our veterans on the 11th while you're sitting in the tree stand. It's a great opportunity to reflect on the great things we have as Americans. I'm thankful for the guys I served with that are still serving, and the ones I've never met, or the ones who helped preserve our way of life.

My father, brother and I have owned a 40 acre plot of land for about the last 12 years. We got it for a steal $1500.00 My dad has hunted near-by land since 1962. Back then the land was owned buy a paper company(DM)and would let you lease parts of the land. We had a shack which was a blast when I was a kid. Well when they decided to boot us out of the lease and burn our shack so we decided the way things were going with land it was time to buy our own. Our 40 is mostly low land but the best thing about it is we have access to about 700+ acres of county and state land and no access to the 700+ acre unless you cross our property. Every deer season we trailer campers out and have been doing that for some time. It's nice but just not the same as having a shack. This year after talking year in and year out about building a shack we found a five acre plot just a mile from our property. This year we will still be camping in the campers but next spring the shack will be going up. It has been just a blast the last few weeks getting together with our party and preparing the plans. I know deer season is in a few days but I just can't wait to start working on the new shack. We have four wheel trails all over some seem like you can putt around for hours and still see things that you have not seen before. All of the people we hunt with now have children and the thought of next deer season being able to take them out and showing them what it means to hunt out of shack is just a great feeling. Knowing that it will be a place they can take their kids to. Right now land is hard to come by and getting way to expensive for the average Joe. I hate to see what a chunck of property is going to be going for when my kids are my age. Northern Minnesota is a great place to hunt and just can't wait to hit the woods and be in camp this weekend with family and great friend.

My group has been together since 1982, and a few since 1972. Same place, same traditions, mostly the same B.S. I cannot think of one constant in my life that has been there as long as deer hunting. Our group is expanding a little now, but the core is there. Non-hunters have no comprehension of what it is like and it is pointless to try to explain it to them.