• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brett Favre

buzzsaw

Okay first off, I started this thread in all seriousness and don't want it to become a battlefield to bash a QB.

If your Brett favre and you've got a Super Bowl ring, enough money to live comfortably and your wife had breast cancer would you....

a) Keep playing football

B) retire and enjoy your time with your wife and kids

I think this news of his wifes breast cancer has got to get his attention and I believe he should retire.... even if it is curable. It could come back at any time and that is a scary thought. I believe you will see what is more important to Mr. Favre in the near future.... his family or football and I believe he will choose his family.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No doubt he could just be saying that to deflect any retirement talk for this weekend. Honestly, I don't how his wifes cancer wouldn't affect his retirement decsion, espicially since he doesn't have to keep working for monetary reasons like you or I would have to.

I'm as big a Viking fan as you will meet, but Brett Favre is everything that is right about pro football. It will be nice to face a lessor QB in GB someday, but we should enjoy the challenge while he's still playing. I hope he plays a few more years!

I hate Brett Favre, but I have to becasue he is a Packer. Actually I admire him and his mental and physical tougness. That team is totally different without him and they have had a taste of that already. It's not like the Buc's or whoever that can just throw any Q.B in there and not much will change. He is the Packers and from what I heard the doctors caught the cancer early enough that they are sure they can get rid of it. If that is the case I would be surprised if he doesn't come back next year and actually would be dissapointed as well. You can't keep a fierce competiter down too long.

As happy as I am about the Vikes big win, I will not use this opportunity to kick a guy like Favre when he's down. Being a big fan of the Purple, I have seen a lot of Favre over the years. Even though he has killed my Vikes many times, I couldn't help but to develop a healthy respect for the guy. I think he has a great fire and passion for the game, and that is refreshing when compared to many of the "show me the money" guys out there today. It gets a little sickening to hear Madden and the others gush over him all the time, but you gotta admit the guy is a hell of a player. That streak of consecutive games is the most impressive in sports history IMO. Throw in the personal tradgedies he has had to deal with lately and I think the way he has performed is more than admirable.

When he does decide to hang 'em up, the NFL will lose one of its greatest competitors. And I think(whether they will admit it or not) it will be a little bit bittersweet for some Vikings fans. The rivalry will change and, frankly, it will seem weird to me to watch the game and not be screaming "Get him! Get Favre!!!" at the top of my lungs.

He has accomplished all there is to accomplish in this game and I think no matter how many picks he threw yesterday, he will be remembered as one of the all-time greats. If he decides to to give it up and spend more time with the family, well there is no shame in that. I understand he likes to hunt, fish, golf, etc, too(which makes him OK in my book) so I can see him wanting to have some time to enjoy that stuff, too, before the pain of all those years really starts to set in.

even as a viking fan, it is hard to hate a guy that has been through and accomplished over the years. when the toughest guy on the field is a quarterback in his late 30's that's saying something. I think farve has 2 years left, one as a player and one as a mentor. either way, i would like to see him go out before he is washed up.

From Packer news.com/The Post Crescent:

One day after their season ended, the Green Bay Packers entered a holding pattern, awaiting a decision from their superstar quarterback.

Brett Favre said after Sunday’s 31-17 playoff loss to the Minnesota Vikings that he had not decided whether to return for the 2005 season and that it might be another month or two before he knows if he’ll be walking off into retirement or onto Lambeau Field for a 15th season.

On Monday, the Packers’ players acknowledged that many of their futures will be determined by Favre’s decision.

“I don’t think there’s any doubt that he’s the most important cog to this puzzle,” kicker Ryan Longwell said. “I think we all will pay attention when the decision is made.”

Offensive guards Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle are two players who may be paying the closest attention to Favre’s decision. Both Rivera and Wahle will be free agents in March, and their decision to return could be closely tied to whether Favre returns.

“It’s going to affect a lot of people, and I’m just a small, small piece of that,” Wahle said. “But, I think it could affect a lot of things.”

The general feeling among the players is that as long as Favre is lining up under center, the Packers should be a playoff contender. If he retires, players might not want to be around for the bumpy ride that may follow.

“He’s a guy who gives us a chance to win every time he steps on the field,” Wahle said. “If he’s not around, then that factors into the decision.”

Backup quarterback Doug Pederson, who is Favre’s closest friend on the team, said he thinks Favre is a long way away from making any decision about his future.

“This decision can’t be made in a week. It can’t be made in a month,” Pederson said. “It’s going to take him some time to get away and reflect on the past couple of years, reflect on this year.”

Despite reports that Favre told Sherman after the game that he was going to retire, Favre said Sherman merely told him that the team would need to know his status before the free agency period begins in March.

Despite struggling at times, Favre threw for 4,088 yards and 30 touchdowns this season and showed that he still is more than capable of playing as well as most of the top quarterbacks in the NFL.

“I think he’s still capable of playing at a high level,” Peterson said. “I still think he ranks right up there at the top competitively.”

Pederson said if Favre does decide to retire, it will be to spend more time with his family. Favre’s wife Deanna recently was diagnosed with breast cancer.

“I think that will be a deciding factor. I also think his health. And just the desire. Is his love of the game still there?” Pederson said. “Those are all going to be determining factors in his decision.”

Pederson said he knows that Favre’s decision, whatever it is, is going to have a huge impact.

“Obviously, everyone in here would love to have him back,” Pederson said. “But then again, if he doesn’t come back, you can look back and say, ‘Hey, I played with one of the greatest quarterbacks in the National Football League, and I got to rub shoulders with him.’”

First off, I'm a Vikes fan hands down. Having said that ya just gotta admire Favre. I've often said he's easily in the top 10 QB's to ever play the game.

I just can't imagine him retiring. He seems too competitive for that. However, as a Vikings fan it wouldn't bother me to not have to defend against him twice a season.

Not that I even care to give that post much more thought... but I'm with the Packer backers on their train of thought here! Lets try and keep it witty AND Civil. Remember it can always come back to you/us twice as bad down the road so you might want to re-think how you play your cards. It's always better to take the high road and not rub things in too much... even if it's hard to do. I know you don't need to take my advice Big Island Dude... but for the sake of all of us Viking fans don't muddy our reputation too much. Thank you in advance.

I would be surprised if he retires, he is still one of the top 7 or 8 in the league. Gannon won the MVP older than Farve is now. As an opponent of the greatest team in the NFL I have not liked farve much, but as a player he is one of the best to lace up the cleats. If he does retire it will be because of personal reasons cuz there is no doubt he can still get it done.

Football happens to be one of my favorite things in life( other than family, freinds, fishin' an huntin'). But you do have to remember that it is only a game. I hate the packers and Favre with a passion. Profesional football is a violent sport played by multi million dollar athletes. I do not shed a tear when someone on my teams biggest rival is injured.

God forbid I wish ill will towards the packers.

LIGHTEN UP!!!!!!!!!!

p.s.

Thats "MR. Big Island Dud" to you

Big Island,

I wish ill on the Packers every Sunday starting about Labor Day but I don't wish injury. Dropped balls, lots of fumbles, embarassment all around. Look at my other posts. I have defended the Vikes at most every turn. In my opinion I think you crossed the line back in the Ferguson thread and are continuing it here. If it is your idea of humor, I don't get it. If it is the type of passion you have for football, get some help. You said it is "only a game", if so, is it worth enjoying somebody's injury.

My opinion, reply if you choose but I am done with this.

Guys, this (Contact US Regarding This Word) isn't worth effort. Just click on "Big Island Dork's" name and go to the bottom of the page to put him on ignore. That's what I've done. He is pathetic.

Great idea bringing this thread back up. If I'm correct Farve still has a few years left on his contract. If he only had 1 year left, I could see the likelihood of him coming back more just to finish it out. With multiple years left and with all things that have gone on in his life outside of football I still am leaning towards him retiring after this season. I still believe he is in the top 5-7 QBs currently playing in the league, and as I've alluded to in prior posts, even though he's stunk it up the past few years in the playoffs, I can't honestly say, "Boy I wish we had so and so instead for a QB." At least someone that was available for signing the past 2-3 years.

From the replacement standpoint, I hope he does retire this year as there is a QB out there who probably would be a good fit for Green Bay and most likely will be an unrestricted free agent.