• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brett Favre

buzzsaw

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to see where Farve ranks today with me. Here are the people I would rather see under center today, in no particular order.

For Sure

Culpepper

McNabb

Manning

Probably

Brady

Vick

McNair (if he is healthy)

Hasslebeck

Maybe

Brees

Green

If he retires it isn't because he isn't qualified anymore.

Favre is the only packer quarterback to ever lose a playoff game at home, and he has done it twice! But you can never question his guts or his will to win, I would take him over a lot of other qb's in the game today. He did make some foolish mistakes like that underhanded flip into the endzone, that was a rookie mistake that you don't want your star player making. I would bet he comes back for next year, but only if a few other key players decide to as well, I don't think he will come back to a team that looks like it only has a limited chance to go far into the playoffs.

I give you the top 3 as obvious choices as being ahead of Favre. I think your probably list is about where Favre ranks right now depending on what criteria you use, etc. Bulger is another I'd maybe put in this list. Your maybe list I agree with Green, but Brees I'd like to see if he can repeat his performance. Unfortunately I don't know if we will be given the opportunity. One thing to take into account when I give my reasons also is I'm looking at the possible successor to Favre as to who I'd rather have. This takes McNair and Green out of the equation for me. Unfortunately none of the other guys have been available via free agency either, until this year. Two players on your list are. Brees I believe will be franchised by San Diego. The other is Hasslebeck. I think there is a good chance Seattle will allow him to become unrestricted. They also have Alexander and OT Jones to consider to franchise. IF Hasslebeck isn't franchised and Favre does retire, I'd love to see Green Bay make a run at Hasslebeck and bring him back to Green Bay. To me it seems like a very good fit for many different reasons.

I think you are correct with your take. I did intend to have Bulger on the list but forgot him. From a general football standpoint I would think Hasslebeck coming back would be a nice fit. From a Vikes fan stanpoint I would rather see you struggle with a young guy for awhile.

I am a die hard Vikes fan. Favre has brought our rivalry to a new level of competition. I think he should retire now and take care of his wife while he still has good health. Athletes at his age always go thru the turmoil of wondering if it is time to retire. I hate the ones who seem like they can play forever. Yes, Gannon won the mvp in his late 30's, but look what happend to him. He is lucky that he didn't get a more debilitating injury. Favre shouldn't risk that type of injury. He should take into consideration that it takes longer to heal as you get older and the hits seem to hurt more. He has nothing left to prove to anyone or himself. He will be one of the most love/hate Qb's because of his competitive fire. I think we all have to admire him as an athlete. There are some free agent qb's that they can get such as Drew Brees that could keep the Pack competitive until they find a good young qb.

For all of you Packer fans out there...how many years do you think Favre will continue playing? (most packer fans would probibly say anywhere from 2-4 years). So he plays out this year. Does he retire?

Option 1. Favre, once again, ponders retirement, but the packers offer him compensation to stay for another year, merely because of how much revenue he brings to the team and what the revenue would be without him. He bombs the next season, retires, then you MIGHT still have Rogers to start after two full years on the bench.

Option 2. The more plausible option. Favre teaches Rogers for a year, then respectfully retires (as i think he should have done this year, we dont need another Jerry Rice). Fans of GB (being ignorant) would be skeptical of Rogers and his abilities after the "shocking" retirement of Favre. If he loses a few games at the start of the season, confidence is shot, fans get [PoorWordUsage]ed. However if he pulls it off and gets a few good wins then he will have the fans at his side, and maybe, just maybe, they will let go of Favre.

The long and short of it is that Favre is too much the center of the team. I watched the draft with my packer friend, and he was mad when they picked Rogers because he said that Favre still had at least 3 years in him (not kidding at all) and he did not believe the time was right to find a replacement. The absense of Favre COULD (not will) send the team and the fans into a downward spiral. Favre leaves the team, most Pack fans saw Favre AS the team...is it worth it anymore then if your star is gone? I honestly do not think that Packer fans will be as eagar to watch a rookie or second year QB play with an average offense and a bottom of the barrel defense.

What would I do in their shoes? Get rid of Favre next year. Yeah, I know...but they need to get past Favre and get it over with. Tell Rogers that next year the team will be his, maybe even play him in a few of the late season games depending on their playoff contengency, get him some experience and maybe it would help the fans cope with their anger. Also it would give him confidence and help him to focus on playing, not competing for a position. They need to get him comfortable and get the fans comfortable with him before anything else, because lets face it, he is more than likely going to be the future of the Packers, unless he totally bombs. They qucker they get him out there and the quicker the fans get over it the better off they will be. But thats just a view on what they should do, if they are smart they will follow that, if not then they might not be in a very good position in the future.

Buzzsaw,

Once I heard Favre was coming back this year my initial thought was he would probably play another 2 MAYBE 3 years including the 2005 season. Reason being is if he continues to put up the numbers he has in years past, I think he will be close enough to a number of NFL career passing records he may stick around to try and surpass those ahead of him.

As far as the Packers draft, I was in the camp of not liking the Rodgers pick. To me they had too many holes to fill on the defensive side, before they should be thinking about a QB after Favre. I think they could have gone the free agent, trade, future draft, or even the Craig Nall route instead. I guess time will tell, maybe Rodgers will be a good QB for the Pack. Unfortunately, history shows that Tedford QBs aren't all that successful in the NFL.

Now I really like Favre, he is the main reason I finally started liking the pack after 30 years of Viking brainwashing living in MN.

BUT:: Favre is going to probably be better at teaching a young quarterback what not to do by example. I think you all know what I mean.

I do however think that the Packer QB coach will do the training and probably do a pretty good job of it. Along with Brett showing him what not to do by example.

I am guessing this is Brett's last year. He is probably getting sick of the Packer front office and their not even attempting to get a good defense.

since the packers are not going to make the playoffs this yr is a good thing for aaron rodgers,the way favre throws int's and makes stupid decisions wouldnt be a good teaching tool he will still show him how to throw interceptions and blame it on other things that wasnt his fault most important thing is for favre to give rodgers maddens cell phone number so he can be the next qb madden is in love with when favre is retires

I give Favre this year and hell throw it in, my reasoning, year before last it was his fathers death, last year was his wife, IMO I believe something pertaining to those two events drove him to keep playing, what I couldnt tell ya but its my opinion. I would also agree with DTE in the respect that he is going to play to surpass those records.

Buzz:

Here's an opinion from a Packer's fan. I agree that he will play out this year and then probably hang it up. I'm happy to see the Pack get a guy who was a toss up for the #1 pick on some draft boards as late as they did. Your probably confused that I'm a Packers fans after seeing my involvement in defending the Twins from the super-annoying Sox fans on the site, but that's just the way it is.

Freak: I think your sarcastic comments are a little over the top, but that's fine, your a Vikings fan and I'm used to it.

My response is this: Favre isn't a guy you learn fundamentals from, but he's a guy you learn leadership and poise from and how to turn passion for the game into action on the field from. Rodgers will learn plenty from Favre and whether you agree or disagree, I think almost any real football fan would say playing behind a future hall of famer on the depth chart as a rookie is a very positive thing.

Personally I really don't think Rogers was ever really being considered by the 49ers. In my opinion, I believe they only used him as a pawn to either get Smith to sign pre-draft for less money or try and work a deal out with another team.

Thanks buzz.

Down to Earth. Yeah, you may be right. I wouldn't claim that I think San Fran was definitely interested, but on many teams draft boards it was a toss up between Smith and Rodgers. This was an unusual year because of the amount of talent (non-QB's)near the top of the board and the needs of teams who were up there. In many years, Smith Rodgers would be 1,2 or 1,3 or 1,6 or whatever. Of course, that's just speculation.

I still can't believe M. Williams fell to Detroit's spot! Also, look up the last time 3 running backs were drafted in the top 5; you won't find it. In the last 3 years, the first runningbacks were selected @ 24, 23, and 16.

Quote:

Im glad hes coming back because we make him look like s*** when he plays us. He throws more picks than td passes. Oh but by the way I really hate him
mad.gif

Wrong answer man, he made himself look that way, didnt need any help with tthat game! I just hope that he comes back this year with a clear head and has a decent year, this isnt the 97 team we are dealing with here so Ill just be a fan and not expect diamonds out of a pile of coal smile.gif On a happier note I purchased some sharp cheddar, aged 7 years, hoping to clean my system by the end of the weekend wink.gif

More news.

Favre playing with chronic hip condition

NFL.com wire reports

GREEN BAY, Wis. (Aug. 17, 2005) -- Brett Favre has a chronic hip condition that almost prevented him from being traded to the Green Bay Packers 13 years ago, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported.

Favre and former Packers general manager Ron Wolf said Aug. 16 at training camp that the three-time NFL MVP was diagnosed in 1992 with avascular necrosis, a condition that can lead to hip replacement surgery.

"It's a lack of blood supply to a socket," Favre told the newspaper. "To this day, it bothers me from time to time, but before the draft I did MRIs for Atlanta, I did MRIs for Seattle, went through all kind of evaluations at the combine. A lot of teams were apprehensive because of that."

Favre said he hurt his hip in the East-West Shrine game, and the condition is the same as the one that afflicted former football and baseball star Bo Jackson.

Favre was drafted by Atlanta and spent his first season as a backup there before Wolf engineered the trade on Feb. 10, 1992, that brought him to Green Bay in exchange for a first-round draft pick.

Favre said that when he arrived in Green Bay, the Packers examined him and predicted he would suffer from avascular necrosis and would soon feel effects of it. According to Favre, he failed the physical, but Wolf told the medical staff to pass him.

"The prognosis on avascular necrosis is at some point you're going to have to have a replacement or it's going to have to be treated," Favre said. "I don't have as much flexibility in that socket, but you're kind of rolling the dice. They said I wouldn't play three or four years. Obviously they were wrong and Ron was willing to take that risk."

Wolf said that the team doctor at the time, Clarence Novotny, recommended flunking Favre on his physical. But he said Novotny was not an orthopedist, so he had surgeon Patrick McKenzie, now the team doctor, examine Favre. Wolf said McKenzie told him that in four or five years Favre could have some problems with his hip, but there was no danger of it deteriorating immediately.

"This is the guy I wanted," Wolf said. "They said four or five years, I didn't care. It turned out there wasn't anything wrong with him."