• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tip-Ups

IcEaHoLiC

I usually stick with a plain hook also, or at the very most a small glow jig. I have started to use circle hooks a little more and have been pretty happy with the results. I either use shiners or fatheads on the tip-ups and keep them 12-18 inches off the bottom.

Usually a smaller glow jig in one of many colors or a plain hook and rattle bead. I put a slip bobber knot on my line about 1/2 inch above the hook so the bead moves up and down the line when the bait moves. Otherwise the bead tends to float up your line. In current I will put a small spin n glow on at times.

The last couple of years i have tried numerous attempts on my "walleye spot" with a tip up (plain glow hook, split shot and a fathead).....but every time that i pull the tip up up the minnow is gone and the flag never went up! I use the frabil pro-thermal tip-up. frown.gif

Would you guys suggest a split shot or how else would you rig it if you were using a plain hook?

I take the spinner from a Beetle Spin,replace the jig with a #8 glow treble hook. and then tie the line on the top where the blade is.That way when the minnow swims, the spinner works like is suppose to. This set up catches twice as many walleyes for me then a plain hook and minnow

Ice-a-holic-

The Frabills have that little notch for the flag end to prevent wind flags, so you want to set the handle barely holding the flag down. You also want the handle to turn toward the base of the flag so the flag can come up easier. I set my tip-ups as light as possible always. Try setting it up and actually pulling on the hook. You will be surprised how hard a fish has to pull to trip the flag. They can feel that instantly, and will often spit the bait. It's the same reason most guys use spring bobbers- see the bite before the fish feels you! Besides, by setting them really light, what's the worst that can happen? You get more flags (wind), but at least it's a little excitement!!

I keep it simple. My tip-ups are rigged with dacron and a barrel swivel at the end. I use mono and floro carbon leaders. On one end of my leaders I put snaplock that attaches to the barrel swivel. For walleye I add a #6 Mustad 3551 treble hook to the other end. I add split shots about 12"-18" above the hook, but just enough to keep the bait down. I put 1 point of the treble in the back of the minnow parralel to the back bone. I'm not sure of trebles are allowed where you are. If not you can clip one point off the hook and use it the same way (I do this for pike).

baitwithhook.JPG

I tend to use a much smaller treble for walleye - #10 or #12. That smaller hook is much less obtrusive, and seems to find it's way home better than a big hook. 8# fluorocarbon leaders. Of course, I fish in northern Wisconsin - most of our lakes have the clarity of Absolut Vodka!

Quote:

I take the spinner from a Beetle Spin,replace the jig with a #8 glow treble hook. and then tie the line on the top where the blade is.That way when the minnow swims, the spinner works like is suppose to. This set up catches twice as many walleyes for me then a plain hook and minnow

Great idea!!! Last year I did well using a Vanish leader on a circle hook and hooked the shiner through the nose.

Instead of use a split shot or a rubber core sinker to add weight to your line, try this idea. Use a casting or trolling spoon as weight.

Remove the hook and tie your leader to the spoon. When the minnow swims around this will give extra attraction to your bait. Works really great on Wind Tip-Ups.

An Angel Eye or Glow Devil will work well with this technique.